Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr View Post
    I use mcPhling and NetConnectDA together to disconnect and re-connect within Kinoma and it works. Annoying but at least I don't have to exit and disconnect and reconnect and get back in. Details over at my review posting.
    What do you mean? How do you use these apps to make Kinoma work better for you?

I tried checking out your review, but it's no clearer, to me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Well, I mean, when the timeout happens and I'm disconnected, I try to reconnect using McPhling and NetConnectDA inside Kinoma without exiting. Obviously, it doesn't prevent the timeouts from happening, but it's less of a hassle to reconnect.

Let's say I find out that I get a timeout error message in Kinoma. Rather than exiting out and disconnecting the connection and re-connecting, I simply swipe the Treo screen to bring up the command bar. Tap on the McPhling icon to bring it up. Then, tap on NetConnectDA to bring it up and tap on the Disconnect. Watch the Treo do the disconnect. Then, tap on the Connect and it's connecting back. Usually, I can then go and play whatever stream in Kinoma again.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also need Graffiti Anywhere to be installed and enabled so that I can do the screen swipe to bring up the command bar.

EDIT. I've just created a video on how I do it at YouTube.

Hopefully that will give you an idea of what I mean.

Again, it's not the best workaround, but one that I am willing to deal with.
    Last edited by maceyr; 12/11/2007 at 03:02 PM.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Well, I mean, when the timeout happens and I'm disconnected, I try to reconnect using McPhling and NetConnectDA inside Kinoma without exiting. Obviously, it doesn't prevent the timeouts from happening, but it's less of a hassle to reconnect.

Let's say I find out that I get a timeout error message in Kinoma. Rather than exiting out and disconnecting the connection and re-connecting, I simply swipe the Treo screen to bring up the command bar. Tap on the McPhling icon to bring it up. Then, tap on NetConnectDA to bring it up and tap on the Disconnect. Watch the Treo do the disconnect. Then, tap on the Connect and it's connecting back. Usually, I can then go and play whatever stream in Kinoma again.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also need Graffiti Anywhere to be installed and enabled so that I can do the screen swipe to bring up the command bar.

Nice video. Thanks for the link!

So, does this mean that the proper way to respond to a timeout is to disconnect and then reconnect one's internet connection, regardless of the source (Wifi/Sprint/etc)?

I've just been waiting until Kinoma works right, again.
    Yes, regardless of the connection, a time out is pretty much a dead connection. Think of it as holding onto a line but then, the line has been cut and no longer connected. In order to get the line again, you'll have to grab onto another line. Disconnecting and reconnecting will get you another line.

Again, I'm no expert on this, but it seems to me to be the only workaround that isn't too much of a hassle.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Yes, regardless of the connection, a time out is pretty much a dead connection. Think of it as holding onto a line but then, the line has been cut and no longer connected. In order to get the line again, you'll have to grab onto another line. Disconnecting and reconnecting will get you another line.

Again, I'm no expert on this, but it seems to me to be the only workaround that isn't too much of a hassle.
    Where would you recommend that I get those programs? How many arms and how many legs?
    I use mcPhling and NetConnectDA together to disconnect and re-connect within Kinoma and it works. Annoying but at least I don't have to exit and disconnect and reconnect and get back in.
    Huh, interesting. We never use (or have ever needed to use) anything like that on our personal or test devices.

What device are you using? Why is it spontaneously disconnecting? And then why isn't it automatically reconnecting?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 from HK. It isn't always spontaneously disconnecting, only when I would want to access some podcasts or videos. Most times, listening to streaming audio like radio stations normally are fine.

I'm thinking that it may also be due to the use of the Enfora Wi-Fi sled and the Wi-Fi connection at home. Like I said, it's not a big deal.

The three apps used are: Graffiti Anywhere, McPhling, NetConnectDA
    Last edited by maceyr; 12/14/2007 at 10:50 AM.
    I don't think I asked here, but...

Are any of you getting (host) errors when trying to stream NPR content via Kinoma?
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 from HK. It isn't always spontaneously disconnecting, only when I would want to access some podcasts or videos. Most times, listening to streaming audio like radio stations normally are fine.

I'm thinking that it may also be due to the use of the Enfora Wi-Fi sled and the Wi-Fi connection at home. Like I said, it's not a big deal.

I wonder if a 755p user, like myself, would need to use McPhling in the above scenario, since it comes with similar native functionality.

Hopefully, the other programs are compatible with a 755p.
    Anyone use Kinoma with ATT or Tmobile?

That NetConnectDA site doesn't work for downloads, anymore.

I just figured it out. On your video, I couldn't see that one has to hold the phone button down while drawing.

I'm not up on these new-fangled programs n stuff.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm getting tired of Kinoma 4 EX failing. Have any of you found any work-arounds, within or outside of the Kinoma software?

By failing, I mean that the links time-out and/or fail to work - including the link to the Kinoma Media Guide - so it's not just a problem on the content provider's end (i.e. NPR, LibriVox, ClearChannel servers, etc.).

I don't want to pay a mint for pTunes Deluxe, but I want to be able to stream when I want/need to - not wait so long that I've already made it to my destination or finished what I wanted to do while listening to Kinoma.
    This is exactly what happens to me, and is very frustrating. It works for a while and then inexplicably stops connecting and times out.

Typical sequence:

1. Centro is getting 5 Bars on the network, time to load Kinoma 4.4EX
    2. Select Kinoma Media Guide. It cycles a bit and then displays options.
    3. Drill down to Youtube search screen and type in "Across the Universe"
    4. List of "20 of 2XXX" is returned. Select Fiona Apple's version (I love it)
    5. It loads, plays. Yay. Nice experience.
    6. Then Kinoma goes to load the next video from the returned list.... Oops. Timed out.
    7. From that point onward, nothing connects. Everything times out. Even trying to load "Kinoma Media Guide" times out and returns "Kinoma Media Guide" cannot be played. It may be an unsupported format, incompatible with this handheld, or an invalid file.
    8. I get out of Kinoma, ptunes loads a streaming broadcast right away. Web browser works great. Connection is fine and dandy.
    9. Back to Kinoma again. Still no joy.
    10. Shutdown and reboot the Centro, back to Kinoma again. Still no joy.
    11. Try again 3 hours later. Works like a champ.

I wonder if this is a caching issue. It would be nice if Kinoma gave us a way to clear that, to see. Also, I'd like to be able to clear past searches.
    Last edited by Micael; 12/20/2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: afterthought...
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    This is exactly what happens to me, and is very frustrating. It works for a while and then inexplicably stops connecting and times out.

Typical sequence:

1. Centro is getting 5 Bars on the network, time to load Kinoma 4.4EX
    2. Select Kinoma Media Guide. It cycles a bit and then displays options.
    3. Drill down to Youtube search screen and type in "Across the Universe"
    4. List of "20 of 2XXX" is returned. Select Fiona Apple's version (I love it)
    5. It loads, plays. Yay. Nice experience.
    6. Then Kinoma goes to load the next video from the returned list.... Oops. Timed out.
    7. From that point onward, nothing connects. Everything times out. Even trying to load "Kinoma Media Guide" times out and returns "Kinoma Media Guide" cannot be played. It may be an unsupported format, incompatible with this handheld, or an invalid file.
    8. I get out of Kinoma, ptunes loads a streaming broadcast right away. Web browser works great. Connection is fine and dandy.
    9. Back to Kinoma again. Still no joy.
    10. Shutdown and reboot the Centro, back to Kinoma again. Still no joy.
    11. Try again 3 hours later. Works like a champ.

I wonder if this is a caching issue. It would be nice if Kinoma gave us a way to clear that, to see. Also, I'd like to be able to clear past searches.
    Since I got it working on my 755p, maceyr's workaround has been very helpful with this problem. If you haven't already, give it a shot.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Since I got it working on my 755p, maceyr's workaround has been very helpful with this problem. If you haven't already, give it a shot.
    Well, since I'm not disconnecting, I'm not sure how that helps me. Restarting my Centro and relogging into Sprint should have accomplished as much.

Rather than a workaround that requires I install two unwanted apps, what I'd like is for KINOMA, who has pocketed my money for this app, to step up to the plate and offer a solution.

NUDGE CHARLES More than one person has this issue, Charles. I bet if you check your support email, you'll find many more with the same complaint. How about an update on the BUG?
    Last edited by Micael; 12/20/2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: and further more....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Well, since I'm not disconnecting, I'm not sure how that helps me. Restarting my Centro and relogging into Sprint should have accomplished as much.
    I thought you said what happens to me is exactly what happens to you. So, if this solution helped me, it may help you.

That's how I think it might help you.
    Are any of you getting (host) errors when trying to stream NPR content via Kinoma?
    NPR's servers recently started acting incorrectly, and I'm currently working to get their attention so we can help them fix it.

For more details and a workaround: http://forum.kinoma.com/showthread.php?t=1809

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Micael,

Rather than a workaround that requires I install two unwanted apps, what I'd like is for KINOMA, who has pocketed my money for this app, to step up to the plate and offer a solution.
    I mentioned that we've never seen the problem or our personal devices or our test devices, and I don't see anything in the support queue that hints at a general problem.

I followed your steps to play Fiona's lovely version of Across The Universe, and when it was done the next video played as expected.

Historically we've been very aggressive about finding and fixing any Kinoma Player bugs, so you can take comfort in that. We just have to be able to reproduce it. Is there any sequence of steps that would allow any Kinoma Player user to reproduce this?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Micael,

I mentioned that we've never seen the problem or our personal devices or our test devices, and I don't see anything in the support queue that hints at a general problem.

I followed your steps to play Fiona's lovely version of Across The Universe, and when it was done the next video played as expected.

Historically we've been very aggressive about finding and fixing any Kinoma Player bugs, so you can take comfort in that. We just have to be able to reproduce it. Is there any sequence of steps that would allow any Kinoma Player user to reproduce this?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Charles, I don't know how else to relate the bug. You've already seen 3 users on here discuss this issue, so I know it's not my single experience. Another point, this is a brand new cell phone with the standard Sprint install, so its not like many pda's that have had tons of hacks and programs installed or removed.... at least, not yet. I guess this issue just happens to TreoCentral users?
    I have received this message for numerous videos or radio stations that I tried to stream (out of the media guide) and get this: "cannot be played. It may be an unsupported format, incompatible with this handheld, or an invalid file". I have been assuming themessage is accurate, but maybe there's a bug?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast