Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Since the selection of Centro protection is limited I am holding off on ordering a case untill a decent silicon or hard case comes to market.

How well does a Centro hold up to scratches. Does the paint chip easy?

Thanks
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I purchased the clear case from sprint find it is protecting treo untill seidio releases the rubber case and holster

Fred
    Take the plunge. The first thing I do when I get a new device is rip that protective sticker from the screen...drives my wife nuts when I do that. I have never used anything protective and my Treo and it's going on a year and half old and there is one light small scractch barely noticeable on the front. Anything else is wear from handling but it looks good. I have found that the more you worry about your device is when you will end up dropping it on the cement, toilet, bathtub, etc. I don't even care about protecting my Treo and "knock on wood" have never dropped my 600 nor 700. I am waiting for the day I drop one. My horizontal leather case helps in protection when on my belt, but I even do stuff with both hands while my Treo rests on my cheek for long periods and have yet to drop it...lol.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    Since the selection of Centro protection is limited I am holding off on ordering a case untill a decent silicon or hard case comes to market.

How well does a Centro hold up to scratches. Does the paint chip easy?
    I've been carrying mine around in my pocket and setting it on tables and desks for the last two weeks. No scratches, no chips so far. I haven't dropped it on concrete or anything yet, but a 2 foot drop to a hardwood floor didn't do anything.

The device is made to be used. No need to be like grandma with the plastic-covered sofa.
    I dropped my first one on concrete (fell from front pocket of a hooded sweatshirt onto concrete while I was vacuuming out the car!), and it got 2 scrathes/chips. One was on a lower corner, under the keyboard, and looked like a small rough chunk out of the plastic. The other was more of a scuff and on a top corner, above the screen. Although it's not something you'd hope would happen, I found the damage to be MUCH less noticeable than damage on my previous Treos! It looked like the rounded edges, combined with the metallic sparkles camoflaged it very well and you pretty much had to look to see them. Now I have a replacement due to crooked screen so hopefully I won't drop this one!
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K-HOPS View Post
    I dropped my first one on concrete (fell from front pocket of a hooded sweatshirt onto concrete while I was vacuuming out the car!), and it got 2 scrathes/chips. One was on a lower corner, under the keyboard, and looked like a small rough chunk out of the plastic. The other was more of a scuff and on a top corner, above the screen. Although it's not something you'd hope would happen, I found the damage to be MUCH less noticeable than damage on my previous Treos! It looked like the rounded edges, combined with the metallic sparkles camoflaged it very well and you pretty much had to look to see them. Now I have a replacement due to crooked screen so hopefully I won't drop this one!
    Is the plastic black underneath the paint?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Take the plunge. The first thing I do when I get a new device is rip that protective sticker from the screen...drives my wife nuts when I do that. I have never used anything protective and my Treo and it's going on a year and half old and there is one light small scractch barely noticeable on the front. Anything else is wear from handling but it looks good. I have found that the more you worry about your device is when you will end up dropping it on the cement, toilet, bathtub, etc. I don't even care about protecting my Treo and "knock on wood" have never dropped my 600 nor 700. I am waiting for the day I drop one. My horizontal leather case helps in protection when on my belt, but I even do stuff with both hands while my Treo rests on my cheek for long periods and have yet to drop it...lol.
    I am thinking about just going naked permanently. I will atleast put a skin on but I am going to wait untill best skins ever comes out with skin. $25.00 for body gaurdz seems unreasonable.
    Lenny

Is the plastic black underneath the paint?
    Yup! It's black plastic underneath, just not metallic/sparkly.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K-HOPS View Post
    Yup! It's black plastic underneath, just not metallic/sparkly.
    Cool that will cover up scratches well!
    Lenny

Cool that will cover up scratches well!
    Yeah! It really was encouraging to see that it didn't suddenly look like an old beat up device after one fall (like my Treos after they fell, lol!)
    I love the people that put a full playthrough case on it and then stuff it in a pouch case. Oh it's so fragile. Same people that say you can't have a facing out holster because it won't be protected.

Though if you are going to have it in some sort of case at some point, a sub $10 pouch case is not a bad way to start.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I just dropped mine walking, scooted across tile floor - nothing - I was shocked, it was 1 day old.
    I had a 755, put silicon skin on the day I got it to protect it. Took off when working to transfer everything to new Centro. Even tho it was the thinnest protector I could find, was amazed at the size difference.
    Since the main reason I upgraded to Centro was size, thought long and hard about smaller screen and keyboard, I can see it just fine and can actually type better.
    So after handling the 755 and realizing size difference, I am also going naked.
    It is just a phone, the size is great, so why bulk it up when I purchased to have better fit in pocket!!!!!!!!
    I found a perfect fit black leather side belt case at Wilson's Leather for $9.99 which I am keeping in my purse in case I do want to throw it in there - that would be scary, then remove when using.
    Its not like we throw these things around desks, tables, etc. A silicon skin won't keep the screen from breaking, that is why I have insurance.
    I always just keep them in my pocket and they stay fine. Even trusting the built-in Centro screen protector this time. Nothing's more comfortable than a naked treo in my pocket. I've gone with bestskinsever in the past, but didn't with the 755 since I didn't want to cover the rubber feel. I may go with them once I see the pattern and what it actually protects. For now I'm using one of these, and I have a feeling it's all I'm going to stick with anyway:

http://www.egrips.com/index.php?cPat...a89e1f1237d2ab
    I have had one drop from about four feet to a hardwood floor with no apparent scratches or damage. One of the major reasons I went from the 755p to the Centro was size and ease of retrieving it from my pocket. I am also going naked on the screen protector, trusting the fac install and my insurance coverage. If the factory install is not tampered with I think any scratches or screen damage will be covered by insurance.
    Legalbeagle
    LOL! Well, late last night, my new Centro fell from my armpit onto the wood floor of the front porch as I was struggling through the door with my hands very full. There's not a scratch or mark on it, it still looks and works like new!
    I am a pocket person myself...naked is the only way to go!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    I always just keep them in my pocket and they stay fine. Even trusting the built-in Centro screen protector this time. Nothing's more comfortable than a naked treo in my pocket. I've gone with bestskinsever in the past, but didn't with the 755 since I didn't want to cover the rubber feel. I may go with them once I see the pattern and what it actually protects. For now I'm using one of these, and I have a feeling it's all I'm going to stick with anyway:

http://www.egrips.com/index.php?cPat...a89e1f1237d2ab
    Are the Best Skins Ever covers (or similar products such as InvisibleShield) much thinner than eGrips? I'm more interested in making the Centro more grippy than protecting it, so thinner would be better for me.
    my demo took a drop onto concrete as I fumbled with everything while getting out of the car. The scuffs aren't bad. could probably even sand it smooth.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I've had a set of BSE's on my 700P for 6 months or so. Fantastic, and the ONLY protection that will allow you to use the Palm charging cradle. The edges are coming a little loose now, but it's still worth it's weight in gold. Fits in all my holsters/cases and makes your Treo always look shiny.
    I'd like to see a matte finish...something in carbon fiber for the techy look or just more muted dark colors. Heck, you could sand out scuffs and keep it looking smooth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast