1.    #1  
    I have been a Verizon Treo 650 for the past few years. I took the plunge and ordered 2 new Centros (one for myself and one for my wife) to play with it before porting over the phone numbers from VZW to Sprint. It is one thing to try out the signal strength of Sprint versus VZW, but what about trying out Versamail to sync with Outlook, TomTom, etc.? I have the VZW data plan, but my wife doesn't. SWMBO likes her 650 just fine w/o the data plan but SERO free data has piqued her interest. However, everything has to work well before she is willing to port her VZW numbers over.

I am seeking suggestions on how to try out the Centro while continuing to use the 650 for synching with Outlook (contacts, calendar, email).

1. Do I install the Windows software overwriting the older versions?
    2. Install using a new folder to segregate from my 650 installation?
    3. Do I create a new user name for the Centro?
    4. Is there any way to have the Centro sync with Versamail and continue to sync with the 650?
    5. Assuming all goes well and want to cancel VZW and take on Sprint, how to integrate/port over the interim solutions to the previous questions?

Richard
    First thing you should do is load the new Palm software. It will work with your 650, and not mess up the Centros when you sync with a new user name. Using a new name is fine to continue syncing both phones, but you might want to think about when you will want to merge the data. Personally, I wouldn't hotsync the Centros until you were sure you were going to keep them. Then install the new software and hotsync with the same user name as was on the 650. Do not sync the 650s after that.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    First thing you should do is load the new Palm software. It will work with your 650, and not mess up the Centros when you sync with a new user name. Using a new name is fine to continue syncing both phones, but you might want to think about when you will want to merge the data. Personally, I wouldn't hotsync the Centros until you were sure you were going to keep them. Then install the new software and hotsync with the same user name as was on the 650. Do not sync the 650s after that.
    Thanks! So for the Palm apps (ZLauncher, TreoAlarm, HandyShopper, etc.) just do a fresh install to try it out and then later input license keys when I decide to go with Sprint?
    I wouldn't mess with your existing installation. Use another machine, OR, do a backup on the 650 and restore your info on the Centro. Don't hotsync it if you're not sold on it. Then cutover when ready.

Palm Hotsync is so finicky and I've been burned many times, so if you must co-mingle them, backup your folders, and then, just inc ase backup THOSE folders.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    Thanks! So for the Palm apps (ZLauncher, TreoAlarm, HandyShopper, etc.) just do a fresh install to try it out and then later input license keys when I decide to go with Sprint?
    Well, yes. I wasn't thinking about the third party aps, but you're right. You will like being with Sprint instead of Verizon. I was with Verizon over 20 years, and don't miss the $45 per month data one bit.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Well, yes. I wasn't thinking about the third party aps, but you're right. You will like being with Sprint instead of Verizon. I was with Verizon over 20 years, and don't miss the $45 per month data one bit.

Yeah, SERO sounds like a great deal, but now I'm getting a little worried that Sprint just announced they lost 60k wireless subscribers. People wouldn't be switching off of Sprint if the network is close to VZW's.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    Yeah, SERO sounds like a great deal, but now I'm getting a little worried that Sprint just announced they lost 60k wireless subscribers. People wouldn't be switching off of Sprint if the network is close to VZW's.
    I don't know the answer to that. I doubt the iphone caused that many. All I know is that in my five months with Sprint I haven't dropped a call yet, and I was dropping them almost everyday with Verizon. I'm saving over $80 a month with 500 more minutes a month for both my wife's and my phones with Sprint SERO. She didn't even have internet and neither of us had text before, so we're actually saving more.