Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed that myself always do a soft reset itself if I push the Call Log button. Is anyone having the same problem? Is there any solution to this problem Thanks in advance
  2.    #2  
    I thought I'd follow-up on this question. All assistance will be highly appreciated
    I started having the same problem too. I don't want to dump the call log file. Wondering if there is a limitation on the amount of entries for call log?
    I know a lot of times if something gets uninstalled (or partially uninstalled) that is related to an application, using that application can reset the phone.

I noticed this with ClockDeluxe. If I hard reset my phone, then hotsync with my old profile (which restores Clock Deluxe), my alarms all have weird numbers and if I click "settings" on any alarm my phone resets.
    Quote Originally Posted by folaoye View Post
    I noticed that myself always do a soft reset itself if I push the Call Log button. Is anyone having the same problem? Is there any solution to this problem Thanks in advance
    what is the display in your screen when you notice that your phone resets?
    did you install a lot of 3rd party software in your phone? please try dialing #377 and check what causes the crash.
    My guess (and it IS a guess) is that your call log database is corrupted. Hopefully you have some recent backup(s) that predate the time that it started crashing - if so then make sure you have a backup of your current DB ("PhoneCallDB.PDB") and then overwrite the Treo with the one you know didn't crash. You'll lose the intervening days but won't lose the majority of the history.

You might also look at getting a trial of "Comet" which syncs the call log database to the desktop. I think there's a possibility that the database might repair itself if it can be synced back and forth with such an app.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    hit the call log button... goes right to soft reset, everytime.

anyone ever experience this or know how to fix??

I just read there is an update, guess I have nothing to lose eh? maybe that will help??
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    firmware update will fix it since it basically hard resets the phone.

Probably a corrupted database. Using an app like SafeGuard or dbfixit would probably fix the issue also.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    cool, thanks...
    I'm updating now, hopefully will fix..

what is safeguard or dbfixit and where would I find that for future use of if the update doesn't fix it?

And thank you for your help!

without people like you, this treo would have me drive off a cliff one day with all the problems I've had in the past lol... it does get tricky sometimes...
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    um... after update it was working ok, until I did a hotsync, so I think you are right, perhaps a corrupted database.

please further explain how to fix and will I lose my call log??

please help, thank you!
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    http://www.launcherx.com/products/safeguard/

Keeps a log with info of what apps crash your phone.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm

Fixes corrupted PIM databases, etc.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    thanks.
    I just ran dbfixit and it found no errors.
    should I try this safeguard program too, is it different?

In Dbfixit, I didn't see anywhere that it gives an option to scan the call log database, where the crash is occuring, unless it's named something else?

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I just ran safeguard and I don't think it found any problem either.

how do I find if my call log is corrupt?
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I am having same problem, did you find a fix???
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    SafeGuard is to help you determine what's causing the problem during the program's execution. The program may be the one currently in use or is running in the background. If there is data corruption, the usual suspects are the PIM DB's or other DB's used by the phone.

In your case it could be the call log DB. Do you have information that you need to keep on your call log? Can you run DBFixit against the call log DB?

For Safeguard use, post or read on this link. [Mobile users click here].
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/25/2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    wow, I just fixed it.. for now.

I did find a copy on my work comp of my phonecall DB file that I haven't syncd for about 6 days, before the problem started. so I copied that to my home comp and overwrote it in the palm db file and set my hot sync to desk overwrites handheld... it worked and I only lost a few days of call log... whew..

If it weren't for the fact that I sync on 2 machines and sometimes forget to sync at work , I would be s.o.l. still ... lol

I guess the lesson here is to make a backup once a week of all db files in palm, as a precautionary measure??

that is strange... in the meantime hopefully the problem won't come back.

Is there any other way of preventing in the future? By installing safeguard? I already installed DBfixit but like I said, there was no option that I saw in there for checking the PhonecallDB file?

and again, thank you all for your help and thanks to this wonderful site for again helping out when needed!!!!
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    As a precaution:
    1. Always have a backup. Do daily via SD card on schedule. Lots of 3rd party software: BackupMan, Resco Backup, Teal Backup, Backup Buddy, etc. to name a few.
    2. Don't install software without prior backup. Any improperly configured or installed or bad software can corrupt your databases. You could lose your PIM db's as well as other Palm DB's, even both the saved and unsaved preferences where some of your settings are stored.
    3. Hotsync has been a help for me while other users report has some problems. Yes, it is a pain when you sync with MS Outlook just using the base sync software. You are probably better with software by Chapura, Agendus, Intellisync, etc. Anyway, with hotsync, I actually find that it made my device work better. Like some of the software I re-installed worked finally versus the install via non-hotsync way. I did not hotsync for over 5 years until late last year.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    wow, interesting.

I do not use my sd card anymore as that was causing a problem too.

but I do hotsync almost everyday on 2 seperate computers. One at home and one at work.

I used to use palm desktop and it was great. My office finally got me hooked up to active exchange and it is great, except now it only sync's other items (not contacts, calendar etc outllook items over the air) via hotsync with cable and it is fine. I still sync both home and office so I have other stuff backed up all the time. Only annoyance with this situation is that I used to have all my contacts and calndar etc sync and up to date at both home and work, now cannot do that as it can only sync to outlook at work. so, my home contacts etc are not able to sync at all. Is there a solution for this?

I now also make a copy of the entire palm folder in my c: drive so I have a back up of all databases. I will do this once a week or month.

Is all of this unecessary and way too much??
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Hmm, using a SD card should not cause problems.

Was this with a specific app or did it just cause problems in general?

Could be specific to the brand/type/way the card was formatted also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    wow, interesting.

I do not use my sd card anymore as that was causing a problem too.
    I don't know why you would have SD card problems. My phone so far has taken all the abuse (being dinged, dropped, etc.) and my SD card keeps going. Then again, I have heard stories about bad SD cards. Luck of the draw?

but I do hotsync almost everyday on 2 seperate computers. One at home and one at work.
    Since you do this, there is a potential for possible data differences between your work and home computer. One advise (back when I used a Treo 180) given by Palm, if you modify between computers and device, if possible (which is really impossible) not to change the same record on your computer and then on your device before sync. Anyway, since then, I only did my changes on my Treo and sync first. Then if I really want to do changes on the PC when I am at work, I woudl sync immediately after I changed it. In other words sync as often, change on one, then sync.

I used to use palm desktop and it was great. My office finally got me hooked up to active exchange and it is great, except now it only sync's other items (not contacts, calendar etc outllook items over the air) via hotsync with cable and it is fine. I still sync both home and office so I have other stuff backed up all the time. Only annoyance with this situation is that I used to have all my contacts and calndar etc sync and up to date at both home and work, now cannot do that as it can only sync to outlook at work. so, my home contacts etc are not able to sync at all. Is there a solution for this?
    You have to make a decision which you will keep as base, i.e. you can always sync on your work and then set your home to device overlays desktop to sync. This is just a suggestion. When I used to have Chapura to sync my Treo 600, they have a definition with the sync software telling the sync conduits that you sync on more than one computer. I was never able to tell if it works but since I did not notice losing information, so it may have worked.

I now also make a copy of the entire palm folder in my c: drive so I have a back up of all databases. I will do this once a week or month.

Is all of this unecessary and way too much??
    Yea, probably but cannot really tell you otherwise. Unless you follow consistency on the sync process, I would probably do the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast