Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Hotsync. How long does it take to hotsync the first time on the Centro? I'm going now for over an hours and still in Calendar. My new computer is a Duo Core 2 processor, so that's not it.

2. SD card. I have a microcard that says "Mobile" on it. When I try to save to the card, it says "No Volume", what does that mean? I copied stuff from my 650 onto my card and it was there, but when I put it in the Centro, nothing shows up, although I see the files there on the Centro. Is this a sign of incompatiability?

3. Youtube. Can you search on the Centro. I get the same things even if I search.

4. Sounds. these system sounds are driving me nuts. How do I install other tunes. I was able to do it on the 650, but haven't figured it out here.

I always try and search first, but sometimes I will ask a question in the thread, and it may or may not be addressed there.

P.S. Please speak in layman's terms.

Thanks

YES, I still love my Centro, these are things I just need to learn how to do with the new unit.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Hi GeekyMom. Seems we are following each other in these forums. Well, seems I'm following YOU in these forums.

1) The first HotSync should not take that long. I don't have an answer as to why it is, but I experienced that issue on my work PC when I first tried HotSyncing. Did you install the software that came with the CD? When I got home I used the CD to get through my first HotSync and it worked as expected. Then I was able to sync at work as expected. Also, make sure you rename your backup folder (c:/Program Files/Palm/GeekyMom(or whatever your hotsync name is)/Backup. The Backup folder should be renamed to anything...most use backup old.

2) Sounds like your SD card needs to be formatted. You can do it in the device, or you can do it as a Fat32. Unfortunately I do not have the run command here at work to give you, but maybe someone else will be kind enough to drop in and provide. I'll try to come back to this thread when I'm on my home PC to update if no one else has. I formatted my 6-gig SDHC card using Fat32 and it has been working flawlessly.

3) The YouTube sight within Blazer can be searched but the way I understand it, it is very limited. Also, Blazer will default you to the mobile version...you can't access the "real" version of YouTube unless you have a direct link address to a video to type in.

4) I don't know as much about the system sounds, but I think MiniTones is a free program and I believe you can use it to copy and maybe even make your own tones. You should then be able to update some of the alarms, etc., within the Preferences, Sound & Alerts.

I hope I've provided something helpful here. I'm still loving my Centro, too. Especially now that I figured out how to get Bejeweled to stop resetting my device.

Rock solid, stable device. About the only issue/worry I have is that I HAVE to go look at the red in person...and I'm afraid if I do I'll end up lusting after it. I would feel a tad guilty returning a perfectly good device just to upgrade to a different color.
  3.    #3  
    [QUOTE=French;1368490]Hi GeekyMom. Seems we are following each other in these forums. Well, seems I'm following YOU in these forums.

1) The first HotSync should not take that long. I don't have an answer as to why it is, but I experienced that issue on my work PC when I first tried HotSyncing. Did you install the software that came with the CD? When I got home I used the CD to get through my first HotSync and it worked as expected. Then I was able to sync at work as expected. Also, make sure you rename your backup folder (c:/Program Files/Palm/GeekyMom(or whatever your hotsync name is)/Backup. The Backup folder should be renamed to anything...most use backup old. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I think it might be a Dell problem. Im on the phone now with them. Unfortunately, I got my Centro and my new Dell at the same time and I'm learning and setting them both up together.

2) Sounds like your SD card needs to be formatted. You can do it in the device, or you can do it as a Fat32. Unfortunately I do not have the run command here at work to give you, but maybe someone else will be kind enough to drop in and provide. I'll try to come back to this thread when I'm on my home PC to update if no one else has. I formatted my 6-gig SDHC card using Fat32 and it has been working flawlessly. Could you tell me how to a format in the drive? I assume you mean the Centro drive, right?

3) The YouTube sight within Blazer can be searched but the way I understand it, it is very limited. Also, Blazer will default you to the mobile version...you can't access the "real" version of YouTube unless you have a direct link address to a video to type in. Ok

4) I don't know as much about the system sounds, but I think MiniTones is a free program and I believe you can use it to copy and maybe even make your own tones. You should then be able to update some of the alarms, etc., within the Preferences, Sound & Alerts. I just want my "Pink Panther" back on my email alerts. -LOL I thought I could pull it from the old Treo, but can't seem to locate it using Filez.

I hope I've provided something helpful here. I'm still loving my Centro, too. Especially now that I figured out how to get Bejeweled to stop resetting my device. Yes, you were very helpful, thanks again!

Rock solid, stable device. About the only issue/worry I have is that I HAVE to go look at the red in person...and I'm afraid if I do I'll end up lusting after it. I would feel a tad guilty returning a perfectly good device just to upgrade to a different color. I hear you, I just want something in pink, maybe a skin.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 10/31/2007 at 11:37 AM.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    2) Sounds like your SD card needs to be formatted. You can do it in the device, or you can do it as a Fat32. Unfortunately I do not have the run command here at work to give you, but maybe someone else will be kind enough to drop in and provide. I'll try to come back to this thread when I'm on my home PC to update if no one else has. I formatted my 6-gig SDHC card using Fat32 and it has been working flawlessly. Could you tell me how to a format in the drive? I assume you mean the Centro drive, right? You can format in the Centro drive, but I formatted using my computer and Fat32. To format in Centro, select your "Card Info" program. Select menu, then format card. How large is the card? If it's not too big formatting through the Centro should work just fine.

4) I don't know as much about the system sounds, but I think MiniTones is a free program and I believe you can use it to copy and maybe even make your own tones. You should then be able to update some of the alarms, etc., within the Preferences, Sound & Alerts. I just want my "Pink Panther" back on my email alerts. -LOL I thought I could pull it from the old Treo, but can't seem to locate it using Filez.You definitely have to get your hands on the original sound file. Can you locate it on your hard drive, or searching the Internet. You can get it into the sounds menu of your Centro using MiniTones once you find it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks French,

It said it could not format the card. Hmmmmm!
    Back to Walmart it goes and back to square one with the Micro card thingy.

Do you happen to know how to get Versamail to not default to the alarm bell. Versa stopped working on my unit, I can't find it to create a new account and I can't find it to change the default to Snappermail. So when ever the alarm alarms, and I put the bell, it goes to Versa mail which gives me an error message and will not allow me to open the messages.

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    2) Sounds like your SD card needs to be formatted. You can do it in the device, or you can do it as a Fat32. Unfortunately I do not have the run command here at work to give you, but maybe someone else will be kind enough to drop in and provide. I'll try to come back to this thread when I'm on my home PC to update if no one else has. I formatted my 6-gig SDHC card using Fat32 and it has been working flawlessly. Could you tell me how to a format in the drive? I assume you mean the Centro drive, right? You can format in the Centro drive, but I formatted using my computer and Fat32. To format in Centro, select your "Card Info" program. Select menu, then format card. How large is the card? If it's not too big formatting through the Centro should work just fine.

4) I don't know as much about the system sounds, but I think MiniTones is a free program and I believe you can use it to copy and maybe even make your own tones. You should then be able to update some of the alarms, etc., within the Preferences, Sound & Alerts. I just want my "Pink Panther" back on my email alerts. -LOL I thought I could pull it from the old Treo, but can't seem to locate it using Filez.You definitely have to get your hands on the original sound file. Can you locate it on your hard drive, or searching the Internet. You can get it into the sounds menu of your Centro using MiniTones once you find it.
    dont mean to jump in your thread but i have a question

You said if she can find the original sound file she can set it for her Email alert....

Is there anyway of customizing Versamail alerts(not sure if that is the email client Geekymom is using), you only get around 8 to choose from and they kinda suck

any help is great. sorry for the hijack
    I'm a Pre gal now
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    dont mean to jump in your thread but i have a question

You said if she can find the original sound file she can set it for her Email alert....

Is there anyway of customizing Versamail alerts(not sure if that is the email client Geekymom is using), you only get around 8 to choose from and they kinda suck

any help is great. sorry for the hijack
    I was wondering the exact same thing and found this very old post here at TC that may help. It's not that easy, but not too hard either and of course I don't know if it'll work on the Centro.

Someone also mentioned using GeekSounds and EmeraldSounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mfacelle View Post
    Not sure if this has been addressed, but I'm new to the 650 and figured out how to get additional alert tones for Versamail. All custom ring tones are added to the "MIDI Ring Tones" database, but Versamail only uses the "System MIDI Sounds" database.

NOTE: All file copying, editing, deleting should be done using Filez or Fileman.

1) Copy the "MIDI Ring Tones" and the "System MIDI Sounds" databases to the SD card.

2) Delete the "System MIDI Sounds" database from RAM (internal).

3) Edit the "MIDI Ring Tones" database in RAM as follows: change the Name to "System MIDI Sounds", the Creator to "psys" and the Type to "smfr"

4) Copy (or Move) the Midi Ring tones database from SD back to RAM. (On the SD card it will show up as "MIDI_Ring_Tones.pdb").

5) Keep the original System MIDI Sounds database on the SD card if you want to revert back.

6) Enjoy your new Versamail alerts!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't know how to get additional alerts into the Versamail application. Sorry. I know just enough to be dangerous. I see in Preferences, Sound & Alerts, there is an option for setting the Messaging and within that menu all songs/sounds are available. I would think adding a tone/song via MiniTones would then have it show in the menu, but what I'm not certain of is if that tone would be considered the "system" tone within Versamail.

GeekyMom: Sounds like you have the wrong type of card for sure. You are looking for a micro SDHC card. They come in all sizes but in the store you probably won't see anything above 1 or 2 gigs.

As far as your issues with Versamail being gone, that sounds like a bigger problem. Did you uninstall it? Do you have Snappermail installed? It's not clear how Versamail disappeared and if you didn't do anything to make that happen, you may have a bigger issue that could involve a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I was wondering the exact same thing and found this very old post here at TC that may help. It's not that easy, but not too hard either and of course I don't know if it'll work on the Centro.

Someone also mentioned using GeekSounds and EmeraldSounds.

I did that^^ as you qouted above in your post on my 755.... it DOES add ALL the Palm ringers to the Versa alerts menu. However, it DOES NOT add any mp3 ringers you may want to assign, such as the 'Pink Panther' tone she mentioned above....

gonna have to take a look at those apps but I already have LightWav and I dont really want to add another ringtone manager...
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I did that^^ as you qouted above in your post on my 755.... it DOES add ALL the Palm ringers to the Versa alerts menu. However, it DOES NOT add any mp3 ringers you may want to assign, such as the 'Pink Panther' tone she mentioned above....

gonna have to take a look at those apps but I already have LightWav and I dont really want to add another ringtone manager...
    Interesting.

But what about using MiniTones to convert any ringer file into MP3, which then forces it into the database, then doing the above? Or does it not matter, it won't copy over the Mp3s...?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Interesting.

But what about using MiniTones to convert any ringer file into MP3, which then forces it into the database, then doing the above? Or does it not matter, it won't copy over the Mp3s...?
    I had Minitones on my 755, just didnt copy over the mp3s.......
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I had Minitones on my 755, just didnt copy over the mp3s.......
    Wow, poopy

lol

I don't want to have to do 3rd party just for an email MP3 tone, seems like it'd be more of a hit on resources than a gain.

Hopefully someone else has another way, otherwise I'll just keep it on vibrate, b/c those sounds are awful.

13.    #13  
    Does anyone know how to bluetooth a PRC file from the computer to the Centro? I just messed up my email on the phone and cannot email the file to the Centro. Yes, it is Snapper and Versa still doesn't work.

Thanks

14. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    Does anyone know how to bluetooth a PRC file from the computer to the Centro? I just messed up my email on the phone and cannot email the file to the Centro. Yes, it is Snapper and Versa still doesn't work.

Thanks
    Double-click on the .prc file on your desktop/laptop. This will bring up the Palm Install program. Next time you hotsync, it will end up on your Palm
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l View Post
    Double-click on the .prc file on your desktop/laptop. This will bring up the Palm Install program. Next time you hotsync, it will end up on your Palm
    Thanks, but my hotsync is not working yet, I'm on the phone with Sprint trying to get it resolved, so I cannot hotsync the file.

UPDATE
    Talking to Dell and in my stressed mode, I overlooked the BT icon and I was able to send the file over. YaY!!
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 11/01/2007 at 08:21 AM.

As far as your hotsync problem, it sounds like you have a corrupt file or two in your calendar. This happened to me when I upgraded from a 650 to the 700. As a result, my Hotsync always hung up and would never complete. (PS. I have a Dell and have no Hotsync issues)

I consulted the boards and found a freeware program called dbScan. I installed it onto my device ran it and it fixed all my troubles. After you download this program to your PC and add it to your install tool (Install Tool DOES NOT WORK ON MS Vista), change your hotsync options to "Do nothing" on all the applications EXCEPT Install Tool. That way you won't be attempting to Hotsync any of those corrupted files.

I am online most of the afternoon under the AIM screenname "nchargreed", I'll be happy to chat you through this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nchargreed; 11/01/2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: uploaded file did not show up
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    As far as your hotsync problem, it sounds like you have a corrupt file or two in your calendar. This happened to me when I upgraded from a 650 to the 700. As a result, my Hotsync always hung up and would never complete. (PS. I have a Dell and have no Hotsync issues)

I consulted the boards and found a freeware program called dbScan. I installed it onto my device ran it and it fixed all my troubles. After you download this program to your PC and add it to your install tool (Install Tool DOES NOT WORK ON MS Vista), change your hotsync options to "Do nothing" on all the applications EXCEPT Install Tool. That way you won't be attempting to Hotsync any of those corrupted files.

I am online most of the afternoon under the AIM screenname "nchargreed", I'll be happy to chat you through this.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for the file!

I agree, I think you are right about the corrupt files and the calendar. That is exactly where the file gets hung up!

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    It doesn't have to be a corrupt file. If you have any open-ended calender appointments, HotSync will hang. My girlfriend experienced this and we went thru he** trying to figure it out. You may just have to delete all open-ended calender entries.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966 View Post
    It doesn't have to be a corrupt file. If you have any open-ended calender appointments, HotSync will hang. My girlfriend experienced this and we went thru he** trying to figure it out. You may just have to delete all ope is n-ended calender entries.
    Would that be a file that is an appointment today that has not occurred? It would be nice to get this function to work. Right now I'm bluetoothing my files, etc.

Another issue:

I returned the micro sd card and got another one (different brand), and was able to format it, but when I tried to back it up using Backup man I get the message that "System backup FAILED. There is not enough space left on the volume." Has anyone had this problem. I thought the Centro was compatiable with Backupman. It loaded up, but that's about it.

What program are you guys using to backup your files to the card?

Try a program call GoSync and set it only sync certain items. I have mine set to Install as the default since I do most of my syncing OTA using Exchange. With that setting, no other conduits function during the hotsync.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/160038

That may at least let you install apps.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast