1.    #1  
    I noticed that my laptop had an IR port. Can I do anything useful with my Centro with this?
    Hotsync or file transfers.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post
    I noticed that my laptop had an IR port. Can I do anything useful with my Centro with this?

Back in the day, I think I used to hotsync that way. You can also transfer files. It's slow and you need line of sight, so it's sort of taken a back seat to bluetooth.
  4.    #4  
    What's the speed/data rate of IR?
    9 times in 10 where I've used IR with my Palm or Treo, it's been to beam my contact info. The other 1 time in 10 it's been to beam an app over to someone.

I believe the standard Palm IR data rate is 57600 bps.
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post
    What's the speed/data rate of IR?
    Palm uses Serial IR (SIR), which runs at 115 kbps. For some reason they never chose to upgrade to Fast IR (FIR), which runs a 4 mbps or Very Fast IR (VFIR), which runs at 16 mbps.

BTW, the IR port can be used like Bluetooth DUN. That is how I used to access the internet from my laptop while traveling, before Bluetooth became common. Recently I had some trouble with the Bluetooth stack on my laptop and had to revert back to IR. Still worked great in a pinch.

Back in the old days, it was very popular to "beam" your business card or an appointment from your Palm to someone else over IR. Kind of a rite of passage for geeks like me :-) (now we just wear Bluetooth headsets). Palm was the poster child for the Infrared Data Association (IrDA), who created the IR standards. Now that Bluetooth is popular, people prefer to send files that way, but interestingly enough, they still use an IrDA protocol (OBEX) when sending files over Bluetooth.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    I still use it to send stuff to others. That BT pairing thing is kind of annoying, while IR just sends it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post
    I still use it to send stuff to others. That BT pairing thing is kind of annoying, while IR just sends it.
    I agree. IR is ideal for smaller programs, business cards, and appointments. There is something natural about the "point and shoot" nature of IR. If Palm had implemented FIR, I would use it for all file transfers, where available. Unfortunately, many other phone manufacturers have chosen to remove IR from their phones, which leaves only Bluetooth file transfer as the common method.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Oh and lets not forget, you can use IR to control your TV/DVD player etc.

At least you used to be able to do that back in the day...
    You shouldn't need to pair to send things. I send pancake bunnies to unsuspecting people on the train all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ View Post
    You shouldn't need to pair to send things. I send pancake bunnies to unsuspecting people on the train all the time.
    hey how would you happen to send these pancake bunnies to these people?? i'm new to the blue tooth thing and my wife and I had to set up passkeys to be trusted devices and send each other stuff (?) and do they know it's coming from you?
    just curious cuz it sounds like fun!
    How do you do this? I have always needed to pair all of my Bluetooth devices in order to get them to communicate together.
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    Back in the old days, it was very popular to "beam" your business card or an appointment from your Palm to someone else over IR.
    Ahh the "IR Hand shake"
    was more fun when all the palm deviecs had the IR on the top.
    How do you do this? I have always needed to pair all of my Bluetooth devices in order to get them to communicate together.
    Most BT devices are 'visible' for this purpose hence the term 'bluejacking' came about. Of course my devices are all BT invisible or hidden so only paired devices can access them. BT technology is about 5 yrs old. It's only lately that hardware has become so economical that they are now ubiquitous. A few years back, you could easily jack another car's BT handsfree system.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Most BT devices are 'visible' for this purpose hence the term 'bluejacking' came about. Of course my devices are all BT invisible or hidden so only paired devices can access them. BT technology is about 5 yrs old. It's only lately that hardware has become so economical that they are now ubiquitous. A few years back, you could easily jack another car's BT handsfree system.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say was all of my PC's, PDA's, phones, and smartphones require pairing to communicate between each other. The same is not true of handsfree devices, and such. You could just use those at will, basically, since they are always visible and easy to connect to.
    Bladez, that's hilarious.
    Doesn't that person have to "accept" your beam? Would people fear they could get a beamed virus if they accept the pancake bunny? LOL... You know it's highly possible that a virus could be named "Pancake bunny", so I just wondered... I think I'd be nervous to allow the connection....is it a quick beam?

I'm going to try this next time I see someone with a Palm unit. lol..
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    OK, I just tried this at my office and "most phones" require you to accept the pic or force a pair. However, not all laptops, phones, pda's require pairing. Some just say "Accept this file?" and then they can get it. While riding on the LIRR during rush hour, you are sure to find like 20-30 devices at any given time, so surely some of them will accept. And they will only see it being sent from my bluetooth name, which happens to be "Ryan's Centro" so I don't really do this anymore.

Let me just add that the 20-30 people I do find are idiots. Like it was mentioned previously, bluetooth visibiliy should be set to OFF or HIDDEN. The ONLY time your BT should be visible is if you're pairing a new device. I wouldn't expect anyone on TreoCentral to have their bluetooth discoverable.
    If I remember correctly, there were also some games that could be played using infrared to allow them to be used multiplayer (like checkers), also chat programs, etc. I think freewarepalm.com probably has them.
    Oh, and you could beam to printers (which had an infrared receiver added I guess, at least that was the setup at one place I had worked) to print stuff.

(sorry, just noticed you probably were looking for stuff to do directly between Centro and computer, but I'd been thinking of stuff to do with IR in general!)
    I use the IR to send stuff from my Centro to my IR on my printer (HP).

IGO