Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard anything on the Treo 680 maintenace release yet? I was supposed to be today. What is the deal? I would love to try push to talk and be able to use my mp3's as ring tones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie484 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything on the Treo 680 maintenace release yet? I was supposed to be today. What is the deal? I would love to try push to talk and be able to use my mp3's as ring tones.
    Haven't heard anything, I'm wating (patiently) too. I think it was rumored to be released last Monday but it's still not out. I'm hoping the update helps with the lag switching between apps. Although PTT would be nice as well as the MP3 ring tones. I'm not much into IM's, but it might be pretty cool also to try those out on the 680.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    given the choice, I would prefer Palm just fix the many # of bugs we've all found rather than add new features which just adds more bugs.
    I never heard of an incoming Treo 680 update, are you sure it will be for our device??
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Where oh where is the AT&T 680 Update expected this past October?????

Does any one have any inside info???
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL View Post
    Where oh where is the AT&T 680 Update expected this past October?????

Does any one have any inside info???
    Come on! It's only the middle of November. What do you expect!!!

McTreo
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    Come on! It's only the middle of November. What do you expect!!!

McTreo
    Oh man you're right... I feel so foolish...
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    ... and one month later... here it is...
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...pdate/att.html
    Updated the firmware, when BackupBuddy VFS tried to restore the "Saved Preferences" the T680 resets. After that, the "PalmOS Powered by Access" screen appears but doesn't seem to ever get past it. I guess I'll have to revert to the old firmware, this one doesn't appear to work for me. Hope to hear how it works for others...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Great for AT&T folks, but how about the rest of us w/ unlocked unbranded 680's?
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    2 updates for ATT none for ROW.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    2 updates for ATT none for ROW.
    Exactly. Hey, Palm ... remember us? We're the ones who paid full price...? Anything? ... Anything...??
    Yeah, here's some more s**t. Now get back in your hole and be a good mushroom. Oh wait... I started to channel Palm marketing people.

Yeah, well, I figure Palm's days are numbered. I'm just holding out with my unlocked 680 (ROM upgrade or not) until something better reaches the necessary function level.

At this point, it could be an iPhone (after SDK helps bring real apps and smartphone function) or maybe a Nokia N810. Anyone notice the news from Access that someone's on board with ALP? Even saw some bench test rigs in the blogs today for Android. Stuff's happening, people... but no word from Palm... just more crickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Yeah, here's some more s**t. Now get back in your hole and be a good mushroom. Oh wait... I started to channel Palm marketing people.

Yeah, well, I figure Palm's days are numbered. I'm just holding out with my unlocked 680 (ROM upgrade or not) until something better reaches the necessary function level.

At this point, it could be an iPhone (after SDK helps bring real apps and smartphone function) or maybe a Nokia N810. Anyone notice the news from Access that someone's on board with ALP? Even saw some bench test rigs in the blogs today for Android. Stuff's happening, people... but no word from Palm... just more crickets.
    The UBiQUiO 503G could do it for me, if I could afford it..............
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by jonecool View Post
    Updated the firmware, when BackupBuddy VFS tried to restore the "Saved Preferences" the T680 resets. After that, the "PalmOS Powered by Access" screen appears but doesn't seem to ever get past it. I guess I'll have to revert to the old firmware, this one doesn't appear to work for me. Hope to hear how it works for others...
    What is the benefit of only updating the FW? I was thinking about doing the same thing. If you prefs file is no longer compatible then you may have to reinstall all your applications.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    What is the benefit of only updating the FW? I was thinking about doing the same thing. If you prefs file is no longer compatible then you may have to reinstall all your applications.
    Well, updating the FW seems small, but it's just like going from Windows 2000 to XP. You're upgrading the OS of the phone. As such, some care should be taken. The biggest problem that seems to come from these sorts of updates on PalmOS is that files incompatible with the new software get backed up. When they are restored (because I should restore to save time!) then they cause problems, usually in the form of reset loops or crashes.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...1&d=1197482514

To give an example, look at the screen shot I've attached. This is from ZLauncher and shows that the file CameraLib-camL is in *both* RAM and ROM. How? Well, this is a file that's part of the OS but was patched in the "Camera" power-saving patch. If a file with the same name is in RAM, it masks the ROM file from view. This makes patching easy... but it also means that if I upgrade my 680 and restore everything from my backup that I will now mask out the *newer* CameraLib-camL from the upgraded ROM. And if the version I backed up isn't compatible with the new code? Crashes, resets, and brick imitations... Oh my!

It may take a little effort, but if you are careful not to overwrite any upgraded ROM files with those from your backup then you should have a better upgrade experience. I know ZLauncher has a way to filter the file manager list by ROM, RAM, or shows everything (like in the capture). If you were to upgrade the 680, view the ROM file list, and compare that with your Hotsync backup... removing bits from there that appear in the ROM list, then maybe this will help avoid unnecessary pain.

Mind you, that might result in some useful stuff being excluded... but then you'll have a smaller set of things to try, and you'll know where the problem's coming from if one starts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Exactly. Hey, Palm ... remember us? We're the ones who paid full price...? Anything? ... Anything...??
    The update site indicates that an update for unlocked 680s will be released soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The update site indicates that an update for unlocked 680s will be released soon.
    I should hope so. This is the second branded ROM update for AT&T, and the unbranded devices haven't had even one in a whole year. I'm starting to feel like a 700P owner, but without all the associated bugs.
    The first AT&T update fixed problems not associated with the unbranded phones. The main update for this one seems to be access to AT&T applications.
    I'm very disappointed that Blackberry Connect is not supported in this update, and apparently, BBC is not going to be supported going forward. Bad news for those of us that want to use a Treo but rely on Blackberry email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast