1.    #1  
    How do you do it? I only see instructions for a hard reset, but I want the data overwritten and gone, permanently.

How do i do this? Palm says it cannot be done on a 755p, and that a hard reset (power button, battery out, then in, release pw button) will delete it, which it will, but is it as SAFE and UNRECOVERABLE as a 755p?
    from the phone app screen type ##786#. then press menu key, and select reset. this will totally wipe the phone to pre sale, and wipe out all info. if you are going to reuse the phone, be sure to have your MSID, and MSL, before you do this.
    Matty
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    from the phone app screen type ##786#. then press menu key, and select reset. this will totally wipe the phone to pre sale, and wipe out all info. if you are going to reuse the phone, be sure to have your MSID, and MSL, before you do this.
    When I do this I get

"Please enter Master Subsidy Lock: ______ "

It wants a 6 digit number. What is it?
    it's the six digit number you entered when you activated your phone to initiate programming. I write it down when I activate any Sprint phone.

And yes, the instructions from matty is how to restore factory default settings - including wiping out phone # and PV username (a hard reset won't). Works on 700 & 755.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    it's the six digit number you entered when you activated your phone to initiate programming. I write it down when I activate any Sprint phone.

And yes, the instructions from matty is how to restore factory default settings - including wiping out phone # and PV username (a hard reset won't). Works on 700 & 755.
    I dont have that number. The sprint rep activated it when I purchased it at the store. How can I get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    I dont have that number. The sprint rep activated it when I purchased it at the store. How can I get it?
    First, pull out the battery in your phone, write down the ESN listed (all numbers starting with "0540," (NOT the "hex" one).

THEN - from any Sprint phone: *2, wait for the prompt and ask for "representative." When you get one, authenticate yourself and ask for the "MSL" or "Master Subsidy Lock" for your phone. If they ask you for the serial, give them the number from behind the battery.

As long as you are current with your bill and there aren't any other issues they should give it to you. Then, you are golden.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    First, pull out the battery in your phone, write down the ESN listed (all numbers starting with "0540," (NOT the "hex" one).

THEN - from any Sprint phone: *2, wait for the prompt and ask for "representative." When you get one, authenticate yourself and ask for the "MSL" or "Master Subsidy Lock" for your phone. If they ask you for the serial, give them the number from behind the battery.

As long as you are current with your bill and there aren't any other issues they should give it to you. Then, you are golden.
    Ok, great. Is this the proper thing to do when selling a phone? I just got myself a Centro and want to recoup some of the money by selling my 755p.

Does this wipe the data like a zero reset does (writing 1's and 0's) or just a superficial erase?

I made 4 images in Photoshop that were 15MB each, copied them from my SD card to the device after a hard reset. I figured that would overwrite anything that may be on the phone.
    I've confirmed this for a Verizon phone but can't comment on any other carrier.

I couldn't find anything on the Zero Reset but if you're looking to remove your phone number from the phone info (I needed to so I could sell it on e-bay,) here's what to do.

With the phone on, go to the phone application. Press the following:
    # * # 0 0 0 0 0 0 #

The display will automatically change to a screen saying, "Activating Your Phone." Here, you can change the mobile number and MSID to whatever you'd like. You can't use zeros, so I used 1234567890 in both the phone number and MSID fields. Then click Save. If you go to the phone info, you'll notice the phone number and Verizon Username will be changed. I hope this helps!

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Does this wipe the data like a zero reset does (writing 1's and 0's) or just a superficial erase?
    The Zero Out Reset works only on the 650.
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    Quote Originally Posted by groupsix View Post
    The Zero Out Reset works only on the 650.

Not accurate. Palm recently changed the WAY you do a Zero Out Reset, I think the 650 was the last you could do manually with the "contortionist" method of hotsync cable/stylus/button, etc.

Hard Reset is NOT a Zero Out Reset. ZOR is similar to wiping a hard drive with "1's" and "0's", or at least as close as you can get to it.

Recent Palm phones require that you get the Master Subsidy Lock ("MSL") as I posted above. Neither Palm nor your phone carrier gives a damn about your data integrity or privacy, so they are not very forthcoming about this procedure and will "reassure" you that they wipe them at some point. But if you have paid attention to the many stories about the a**clown techs at Best Buy and other places who spend their days copying your data for personal pleasure, you know things don't always go as they say...

I ALWAYS do a Zero Out Reset before surrendering my phone to a buyer or the Sprint representatives, just as I do a 3 pass wipe on hard drives before disposing of them for myself or clients.

If Sprint is willing to misrepresent the terms of your phone service agreement, they will most certainly lie to you about their followthrough on data security too.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Not accurate.
    Read the article I posted the link to, under "Zero Out Reset". "Zero Out Reset-Tungsten T5; Treo 650 only "
    Last edited by groupsix; 11/17/2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    How to zero reset on 700p 755p Centro

-Go to the security application in launcher and set up a password.
    -Set device to auto lock on power off
    -take out battery and hold power button when reinserting battery
    -let go of power button after access logo and will be asked to select up
    -select up and when phone resets you will see the words reformatting in several different languages.

The way mentioned above completely wipes out all your phone info and hard resets. (maybe zero reset dont remember) Hence the need to know your msl number to reprogram it. Wiping with the msl would be better when selling maybe follow with a zero out reset like i mentioned just to be safe.