1.    #1  
    Got my Centro on Friday and used it all weekend. In short, it's FINALLY what Palm should have delivered when the 650 came out: fast and reasonably stable. I had the 650 (Versamail crashed frequently and Blazer was a joke,) then the 700p (lag, lag and more lag,) then the 755p (better form factor, faster, but still laggy) and now the Centro. The Centro has virtually no lag. Blazer is fast. Versamail is fast. Neither have crashed on me. Phone app is speedy. Battery seems fine. Stylus is not great, but the 755p's is worse, I think and nothing a 3rd party won't fix soon, I'm sure. Heck, even the camera seems significantly better.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate Palm these days and would gladly switch if I could, but after 10 years with these guys, I just don't feel like converting my data and learning a new OS--I'm lazy and basically getting what I deserve. Although from what I read, all the smartphones these days are bad except maybe the iPhone but AT&T has bad coverage where I work. I do wish the Centro's keyboard were bigger, and, in fact, I wish they made a 755p form factor with the guts and software of the Centro, but I'm not complaining. The small form has it's obvious advantages as well.

Anyway, that's my mini-review. The Centro is easily the best Treo ever. Ironic that it is NOT even a Treo! Anyone thinking of buying it should do so unless the small keyboard is a major problem.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I agree 100% with this.

It doesn't actually say Centro on it so I just tell people, "Its the new Treo" Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Got my Centro on Friday and used it all weekend. In short, it's FINALLY what Palm should have delivered when the 650 came out: fast and reasonably stable. I had the 650 (Versamail crashed frequently and Blazer was a joke,) then the 700p (lag, lag and more lag,) then the 755p (better form factor, faster, but still laggy) and now the Centro. The Centro has virtually no lag. Blazer is fast. Versamail is fast. Neither have crashed on me. Phone app is speedy. Battery seems fine. Stylus is not great, but the 755p's is worse, I think and nothing a 3rd party won't fix soon, I'm sure. Heck, even the camera seems significantly better.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate Palm these days and would gladly switch if I could, but after 10 years with these guys, I just don't feel like converting my data and learning a new OS--I'm lazy and basically getting what I deserve. Although from what I read, all the smartphones these days are bad except maybe the iPhone but AT&T has bad coverage where I work. I do wish the Centro's keyboard were bigger, and, in fact, I wish they made a 755p form factor with the guts and software of the Centro, but I'm not complaining. The small form has it's obvious advantages as well.

Anyway, that's my mini-review. The Centro is easily the best Treo ever. Ironic that it is NOT even a Treo! Anyone thinking of buying it should do so unless the small keyboard is a major problem.
    dan, I agree with you on many counts.. I'm lazy, don't want to learn or adapt to a new OS, so the talk of Linux scares me (fear of the unknown) and I am angry and frustrated with Palm too, that I've personally owned 3 models that SHOULD have been what the Centro now is.

I love the Centro though, it makes my multitasking life so much easier!
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    I agree 100% with this.

It doesn't actually say Centro on it so I just tell people, "Its the new Treo" Ha!
    I refer to it as the "Treo Centro."
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    My receipt from when I bought the Centro says "Treo 690" on it. I think that's been mentioned before.

Anyways, I think the Centro is definitely Palm putting forth a Treo that really competes in the size game. Then again, I didn't really mind the earlier Treos one bit, compared to the one time I tried to talk on a non-Pearl Blackberry.

Hell, take the freakin iPhone, replace half its screen with a hard keyboard, and you'd have a phone that looks like a Centro only *bigger*.

I like the Centro better than the three Treos I've had, just based on the size and layout simplification, BEFORE i found out that it was lighter and faster too.
    Dude....

If you still "hate Palm" why on earth did you get another PALM devise?

Does this mean there's hope for the Victims of Palm.

I'm waiting for Merlyn and bob-C to show up with BIG grins and new Centros....

LMAO in GA......

I'm a 650 user but a PalmOS user since the very beginning, i still have my 'Pilot' 5000 around. I've got a ton of money invested in after market software and I know how the conduits work , what can go wrong ,basically i have an intimate knowledge of how PalmOS stuff works. So switching to something else is a major hurdle and upgrading from the 650 really doesn't seem worth while, none of the 700x phones have been a worthy upgrade to warrant the $.

But the Centro... for 100 bucks you get the same hardware, better bundled software and tuned OS. It's really hard to say no to that.

Honestly though i'd love a 480x320 screen again like the iPhone has and a browser like iPhone. I guess for media and entertainment, the iPHone is where it's at. But AT&Ts data network sucks, i have it now on my 650 and it's sloooowww but it is 10 bucks a month cheaper than Sprints data plan. I guess if i jump on the Centro for 100 bucks if Palm comes out with a Treo 800p or something that's more a higher end phone PalmOS driven, then it'll come out on sprint as well and i'm not out that much $ on the Centro. I just think Palm's not going to get anything else PalmOS out until they switch to Linux and i'm totally not interested in that for the same reasons i'm not really interested in switching to a Windows Mobile or iPhone device. Too much time, money and experience wrapped up in PalmOS.

So i think i'm 99% sold on a Centro. I went to Sprint today and played with one for a few minutes. Not in love with the keyboard but it's usable and the smaller screen i thought i'd have an issue with but it's actually not bad.

Gotta make up my mind in the next few days, those rebates and instant discounts expire Nov 3rd. Which is the day before the red model comes out, coincidence?
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I would think they would extend the rebates as the product just launched, I just saw my first ad on TV for it.
    Palm said at least 18 months before another OS. I doubt you'll see any real upgrades til then from Palm.

From a 650 though, the Centro should keep you happy. Go to sprint.com/sero as i really doubt you'll find anything cheaper plan wise at At&T.
    What cardfan said. A Centro on a SERO plan is a huge upgrade from a 650 on AT&Tingular. I made exactly this jump myself and couldn't be happier.