Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im looking very closely at this phone again, but two things concern me - the keyboard and the battery.

To those who have had the centro for the last week or two, how have you found the typing experience to be? Can you type as fast as you could with the 755 or the 650? How long does the battery last in a day - 4-5 hours (with moderate use)?

These two factors are critical to me. Id be switching from a 650 with a 2400 mah battery. Thanks a bunch for any feedback.
    Accuracy is real good with a little thumbnail left. I just clipped them today and noticed without any nail the thumbing is a bit more intuitive cause I can't see the button when my thumb is on top, but I can imagine I'll get the feel for it even with short thumbnails. I went from Treo 300 to Tunsten C and now Centro.

For missed calls there is an alert bell icon in the top left corner. Is there a keyboard equivalent for showing the alert or must one tap the bell icon in on the screen? When driving I'd prefer to have a keyboard equivalent.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    Accuracy is real good with a little thumbnail left. I just clipped them today and noticed without any nail the thumbing is a bit more intuitive cause I can't see the button when my thumb is on top, but I can imagine I'll get the feel for it even with short thumbnails. I went from Treo 300 to Tunsten C and now Centro.

For missed calls there is an alert bell icon in the top left corner. Is there a keyboard equivalent for showing the alert or must one tap the bell icon in on the screen? When driving I'd prefer to have a keyboard equivalent.
    I haven't had my Centro but a few days, but the typing seems to be just about as good as with my 755. It wasn't the first day. But, the more I use it, the better I get. It definetley feels better in the hand and pocket than any of the other Treos.

DRW, press and hold the center button on the 5-way to get the alerts to show.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I have had mine since Oct. 15th. I typically hold my devises in my right hand and attack the keyboard with my right thumb.

No problem typing, except sometimes I hit the 'M' instead of the period. I like the feel of the rubberized keys.

The battery life isn't bad for a 1150 mAh battery. After I disabled an add on app, Service LED, the battery life improved.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I had Centro for a week. Typing is as accurate as on my old 650. The missing right shift still catches me from time to time, but it is a lesser problem than I first got it. One worry I have with Centro's keyboard is that the jell like surface may be cut by sharp nails.

I don't consider myself as a heavy user during the day. Typically about one or two short calls and 30 min to an hour of web use. But I play MP3 for 5 to 6 hours. At the end of day, it is typically 60% to 50%. So it is more than ok for me.

I also had 2400 mAh with 650. I kind of got used to not to charge it everyday. But with Centro, I have to make sure it is plugged in at night. It is good that my 650 charger still works, because I now have a charger by my bed and another in my office. Music play with 2400 only uses 4 to 5% for my work day. With Centro, it's about 15 to 20%.

But one difference, since BT did not work well on 650, I had it off most of the time. I have BT on all the time on Centro.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I too use my right hand to hold and right thumb to type, so it works amazingly for me. Most comfortable smart phone I've ever used, and it fits in my pocket the way a normal phone would. Only thing I didn't like was the keyguard easily got turned off in my pocket because all you had to do was hit the center key to disable it. Downloading butler easily fixed this problem.

I don't listen to mp3's on my phone(that's what my ipod and fm transmitter dock is for) so my battery life is amazing. I usually go upwards of 2 days of not charging it. It's been just about 2 days now of moderate phone use, and tons of texting, and I'm still topping at 29% battery life.
  7.    #7  
    The replies sound encouraging. How about lag? Any delays when switching between apps, or when using the hard buttons?

I loved the way the 755's keyboard felt, probably because I'm used to the 650's kb. But since the centro is faster in every way, ill go with the centro despite the keyboard size. I hope I don't miss the 650 after doing so.

Any resets, crashes, or any of that happening as often?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    The replies sound encouraging. How about lag? Any delays when switching between apps, or when using the hard buttons?

I loved the way the 755's keyboard felt, probably because I'm used to the 650's kb. But since the centro is faster in every way, ill go with the centro despite the keyboard size. I hope I don't miss the 650 after doing so.

No lag, at all.
    Period.

The only resets I have had are from running apps that don't support the Centro yet.
    Besides that though, no resets or crashes.

I hope I don't miss the 650 after doing so.
    Well

The Centro replaced my 650, which I had for 3 years. So after 2 weeks with the Centro, I hung my old 650 up as my old trophy wife.

Nope

10.    #10  
    Damn, folks. I'm about ready to take this plunge now.

How is the video streaming from within blazer - youtube, cnn news video reels, etc?

Is the video streamer smooth and reliable too?
    Damn, folks. I'm about ready to take this plunge now.
    Go for it. You won't regret it.

In Nov. '04, I paid $599.00 for my 650. Now retired. Was a great devise at the time.

In May '06, I paid $300.00 for my 700p. Still use it on Sprint and love it.

On Oct. 15th, I paid $99.00 for my Centro. Better Palm devise in every way.

So the plunge for me was in the shallow end.

The only major con for me is taking that battery case off. No problem putting it back on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The only major con for me is taking that battery case off. No problem putting it back on though.
    I had a problem taking the back off of the battery for the first time last night to put in the microcard, but it could just be a learning curve thing.

All and all I could not be happier! I had my 650 from since it first came out and was determined not to change until something a lot better came along. I can honestly say; this is a lot better!

The typing for me has been easy, I'm a speed typist and the smaller keyboard was not a major adjustment.

I would encourage anyone who is seriously thinking about it to consider doing it while the instant savings and rebates are on with Sprint, and needless to say for new Sprint customers at $99.00 -- GREAT deal!

Footnote; if you have to have that RED, I was told it is scheduled to come out in a couple of weeks.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I'm new to Sprint (July '07) and came on board because Sprint got the 755P and Verizon was taking their sweet time releasing it (and as of today, STILL haven't released it).

I was very happy. But when the Centro came out I made the mistake of going to the store, looking and then touching. This device is incredible. Because the 755P was my first ever Treo I think I just accepted some things as "that's just how it's going to be". But in the last few days I finally have the "ding ding ding" going off in my head that those "little things" really weren't o.k.

1) Caller ID would not come through my Dock N Talk when paired with the 755P, but it comes through just fine with the Centro
    2) Serious, serious Blazer lag. It would take a full minute or more to empty cache, and I had the white screen upon logging in for far longer than I should have, too.
    3) Pretty much every first time the phone would try to connect to PowerVision it would return a "data not available in this area". I have not seen that one single time with the Centro. Not once. It logs in the first time every time. Which is great because now my apps scheduled to sync in the wee hours of the morning actually DO sync.
    4) Bluetooth connections just seemed erratic. Centro has been solid. When the bluetooth connection has dropped I know why.
    5) For some reason CallRec on the 755P would drop every 4 seconds or so for about a second. So when recording something I would hear 4 seconds, then a drop, then it would pick back up. This made the program virtually unusable. What was really weird was that it recorded telephone conversations just fine. It was only when I would use it as a regular recorder it was an issue. I'm not experiencing that with the Centro. It records exactly as expected with no drops.

There are maybe 2 complaints I have about the Centro. I really, really wish they had put a 3.5 mm headphone jack in, and the vibrate could be stronger. I can live with the vibrate issue, as well as the headphone jack. But IMO, a 3.5 mm headphone jack would have made this THE perfect device for me. I've got a converter on order, but it's just a PITA to make sure you always have it with you because you never know when you might need it (for example, using a cassette adapter to play the Centro through the car speakers).

While I'm not crazy about the battery life, I'm going into this assuming Seido is going to come up with a larger capacity battery that fits in the existing battery area. I bought the battery they made for the 755P and it was exactly enough more juice.

Wow...I'm totally off track. You only asked about the typing aspect.

This, too, is better on the Centro for me. I am female so have fingernails (but not daggers). I find the "rubberized" keys work better for me. They are smaller, but my fingers don't slip all over the place...when I connect with the key I need, it stays. On the 755P I did have a lot of slippage. I have less typos on the Centro. However, I should note that I'm not a HUGE user of the keyboard. I occaisionally text and use it for appointments, etc. But I'm comfortable with it and it was really just a small learning curve. I've now come to appreciate it more than the 755P.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I'm new to Sprint (July '07) and came on board because Sprint got the 755P and Verizon was taking their sweet time releasing it (and as of today, STILL haven't released it).

I was very happy. But when the Centro came out I made the mistake of going to the store, looking and then touching. This device is incredible. Because the 755P was my first ever Treo I think I just accepted some things as "that's just how it's going to be". But in the last few days I finally have the "ding ding ding" going off in my head that those "little things" really weren't o.k.

1) Caller ID would not come through my Dock N Talk when paired with the 755P, but it comes through just fine with the Centro
    2) Serious, serious Blazer lag. It would take a full minute or more to empty cache, and I had the white screen upon logging in for far longer than I should have, too.
    3) Pretty much every first time the phone would try to connect to PowerVision it would return a "data not available in this area". I have not seen that one single time with the Centro. Not once. It logs in the first time every time. Which is great because now my apps scheduled to sync in the wee hours of the morning actually DO sync.
    4) Bluetooth connections just seemed erratic. Centro has been solid. When the bluetooth connection has dropped I know why.
    5) For some reason CallRec on the 755P would drop every 4 seconds or so for about a second. So when recording something I would hear 4 seconds, then a drop, then it would pick back up. This made the program virtually unusable. What was really weird was that it recorded telephone conversations just fine. It was only when I would use it as a regular recorder it was an issue. I'm not experiencing that with the Centro. It records exactly as expected with no drops.

There are maybe 2 complaints I have about the Centro. I really, really wish they had put a 3.5 mm headphone jack in, and the vibrate could be stronger. I can live with the vibrate issue, as well as the headphone jack. But IMO, a 3.5 mm headphone jack would have made this THE perfect device for me. I've got a converter on order, but it's just a PITA to make sure you always have it with you because you never know when you might need it (for example, using a cassette adapter to play the Centro through the car speakers).

While I'm not crazy about the battery life, I'm going into this assuming Seido is going to come up with a larger capacity battery that fits in the existing battery area. I bought the battery they made for the 755P and it was exactly enough more juice.

Wow...I'm totally off track. You only asked about the typing aspect.

This, too, is better on the Centro for me. I am female so have fingernails (but not daggers). I find the "rubberized" keys work better for me. They are smaller, but my fingers don't slip all over the place...when I connect with the key I need, it stays. On the 755P I did have a lot of slippage. I have less typos on the Centro. However, I should note that I'm not a HUGE user of the keyboard. I occaisionally text and use it for appointments, etc. But I'm comfortable with it and it was really just a small learning curve. I've now come to appreciate it more than the 755P.

Great post. Very helpful. Don`t worry about going off track here - the more feedback on the centro here the better as far as Im concerned. Im pretty much set on getting it at this point. The reviews have been so positive I find no reason to keep holding back.

How does everyone find the video streaming to be from within the browser? Decent? That would be extremely cood to be able to read a news article and then watch the video clip attached to it, not to mention youtube. If you guys can do all this on the centro, Ill be even more impressed.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    I had a problem taking the back off of the battery for the first time last night to put in the microcard, but it could just be a learning curve thing.

All and all I could not be happier! I had my 650 from since it first came out and was determined not to change until something a lot better came along. I can honestly say; this is a lot better!

The typing for me has been easy, I'm a speed typist and the smaller keyboard was not a major adjustment.

I would encourage anyone who is seriously thinking about it to consider doing it while the instant savings and rebates are on with Sprint, and needless to say for new Sprint customers at $99.00 -- GREAT deal!

Footnote; if you have to have that RED, I was told it is scheduled to come out in a couple of weeks.

Well, this type of response is very reassuring. The fact that you haven`t lost a beat as far as typing speed on the centro is good to hear. My wife wants the red one now, so I think there will be two of these guys in our household before long...
    I actually paid for the Kinoma upgrade and while I'm liking it a tad more than what I originally posted the other day, I'm still not overly impressed. I think I'm still trying to figure it all out. Most videos I've tried to view say I have insufficient bandwidth even when I have blue triangle (EVDO) connection. So I end up with a video that really just changes "pictures" every few seconds. However there are a ton of links in Kinoma and you can easily import your iPod Podcast links as bookmarks. There is no way to automatically get it to download your podcasts, but you can manually select a podcast and then have it write it to the card so you can then listen when it's convenient for you. Since I don't listen to a ton of podcasts and tend to pick and choose, this is actually working o.k. for me so far. For heavy podcasters this is not a good solution...I think you would be better doing podcasts through some type of syncing on the computer.

YouTube still connects to the mobile version for streaming video, however if you have the exact url for regular YouTube you can get to the link. I've only tried this one time and unfortunately the video I was trying to watch did not work. I'm not sure if it was an incompatible type or if I just don't know what I'm doing.

So not overly impressed, but at least I'm not feeling it was a complete waste of money, either. I got the "secret upgrade" where when it launches the first time you select the link within the Kinoma screen and you can upgrade for $14 instead of buying it for $24.

I actually didn't need a new device so soon after getting the 755P, but the overwhelming positive reactions/feedback on this device convinced me to give it a go. I'm glad I did. The form factor really is wonderful. I now have a "regular" cell phone that has a ton more cabability. I kind of like that it's not obvious it's a PDA. And I certainly like the less weight/size in my purse!

Very happy customer here!

ETA: You do NOT need to upgrade Kinoma to stream videos at the mobile you tube site. I thought I better clarify that.

ETA on 11/7 Kinoma has just released an upgrade that gives the ability to search for regular youtube videos within the app. This is really cool because if you go to youtube through the Blazer browser it forces you to mobile you tube, which has limited content. So Kinoma is growing on me some more.
    Last edited by French; 11/06/2007 at 05:46 PM.
    On the streaming..video is watchable..not great. Comparable to the iphone's youtube on EDGE. (however video on the iphone using wifi is much better).

What is a surprise is the audio of the same videos..pretty loud.

Movies, video downloads, etc formatted to the card using Kinoma Producer look great. The Kinoma media list is great as well. I did have one crash though which required taking the battery out while trying to stream something in the media list. It's a good time waster but can't say i stream video a lot..audio is a different story though. I wouldn't base any buying decisions though on what youtube looks like. We'll probably need faster connections and what not in the future for big improvement.
    so far great device as far as i'm concerned. everything everyone els has said is pretty much spot on.

i've had three freeze/resets, all coming from being/getting on the internet. they all happened within the last 3 days. I don't know if it's a blazer thing? or if it's my device or what. I haven't loaded anyy 3rd party stuff yet. a couple of songs and a number of pictures added but that's it. I plan on making a new thread for this problem. maybe we'll find the problem soon and hopefully it's only isolated.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    On the streaming..video is watchable..not great. Comparable to the iphone's youtube on EDGE. (however video on the iphone using wifi is much better).

What is a surprise is the audio of the same videos..pretty loud.

Movies, video downloads, etc formatted to the card using Kinoma Producer look great. The Kinoma media list is great as well. I did have one crash though which required taking the battery out while trying to stream something in the media list. It's a good time waster but can't say i stream video a lot..audio is a different story though. I wouldn't base any buying decisions though on what youtube looks like. We'll probably need faster connections and what not in the future for big improvement.
    I might load up cnn or the weather channel or sports updates but thats really about it. Its not a deal breaker for me. Im just interested in what to expect.

From what I gather then, the video streaming from within blazer on news sites and youtube is not that great. But is sprint TV decent?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast