Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Curious if anyone has done this and what are your thoughts on the matter... I just saw the Centro and it looks really nice. My mogul works perfectly but what can I say I'm addicted to gadgets. Anyone have any thoughts? Would you switch if you could? Pro's... Cons..

thanks in advance...

KAOS
    I made the switch this last week. I really like the Mogul for all that it can do, such as having WiFi, the screen size, storage space. But, I really need a keyboard that is at my fingertips. I also really like the speed difference of the Centro compared to the Mogul. Each time you launch an app on the Mogul, you get to stare at the hypnotic color circle for a few moments. Granted, it's not long at all, but with the Centro, launching an app is instant. I really like the way PIE and Opera look on the Mogul, but reality is, I don't use them that much. I need something that gets the job done. I need BT and with the latest ROM update for the Mogul, my BT would shut off randomly. It may stay on 15 minutes. I had flashed the Alltel ROM and that fixed the BT, but the device would lock up and I would have to soft reset it.

Bottom line for me is that I had the Mogul for the wrong reasons, I like the gadgetry. For everything that it does, I can do on the Centro much faster and so far, much more stable. About all I gave up was the large screen, but I gained speed,a keyboard I don't have to slide out, and a size that feels like a phone.

I know this isn't a real good comparison. I'm tired and I'm not thinking well. To sum up, unless something happens that I'm not expecting, I'm extremely happy I went back to Palm OS and the Centro. The OS is simple, but in the case of the Centro, it seems to work. I don't need complexity right now.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I made the switch the day the centro came out. I am a gadget geek and have owned most of the pda phones, both pocketpc and palm. The centro is so much easier to use that I am willing to give up the extra capability the mogul provided. It's just plain easier to use for phone calls or taking a quick note. The fact that it is no bigger than the typical candy bar phone is nice too. Finally, I live in a fringe reception area and the mogul turned on everythime I moved from one coverage area to another and that killed my battery life. For the first time in years, I am not looking for my next phone because the one I own now does what I need the way I want. My two cents.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    My wife just got hers and I have the Mogul Thinking about it right now... the centro sure is responsive. Loudest Ringer around, and the feel is your hand is wonderful. But I do need a large screen and bigger keyboard. I'm still bouncing back and forth...
    Last edited by g.711; 10/29/2007 at 12:29 PM.
    I switched from a 700p to a Mogul, and within a week sent the Mogul back and got a 755p. Now I have a Centro, of course...

The Mogul was awful, to me, because its buttons are strewn about (buttons above the screen, below the screen, one on the side with the clickwheel, etc) and I text too often to want to open and close the slide all the time (texting on CDMA replaced walkie-talkie-ing on Nextel for me). Plus, the Mogul's keyboard doesn't work one-handed. Palm's form factor just works better for me.

Also, Windows Mobile might be nice for having multitasking, but beyond the Today screen's convenience, I found it cumbersome and slow, fiddly to truly end apps, etc.

Hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I agree, you gotta get use to those mogual keys. Man the centro's keyboard types much better that you would expect. I've been playing with both all day long. I love how the Centro feels line a bar of soap. I make my Mogul with its sharp edges are killing me. Well at least these BT...But that’s a problem currently waiting for a patch.
    Web pages look much better on the Mogual, and the speaker sound it also better. It was also nice to go to Starbucks and jump on their wifi. But on the other hand EVDO is pretty fast already.
    Mogul camera is better at 2.0 but the camera application was created by a child.
    I agree, you gotta get use to those mogual keys. Man the centro's keyboard types much better that you would expect. I've been playing with both all day long. I love how the Centro feels lin a bar of soap. I make my Mogul with its sharp edges are killing me. Well at least these BT...But that’s a problem currently waiting for a patch.
    Web pages look much better on the Mog, and the speaker sound it also better. It was also nice to go to Starbucks and jump on their wifi. But on the other hand EVDO is pretty fast already.
    Mogul camera is better at 2.0 but the camera application was created by a child.
    Cellphone speed test link results

http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1&more=1

119 kbit/sec
    0.575s latency
    69.114s d/l
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    sorry forgot to add centro results
    59 kbit/sec
    0.798s latency
    54.414s d/l

Dallas Texas
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    My Results From San Jose
    171 kbit/sec

0.399s latency
    9.725s d/l time.again.
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have and love both. I will probably go back to Mogul some time since it meets my needs better, but Centro is certainly a good PDA phone, probably the best Palm has ever created. (I've used Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p in addition to more than 10 Palm devices)
    I didn't like Centrol very much in the beginning, but it grows on me. I especially love its form factor and thumbboard. The design and color are beautiful and the size is just right. It doesn't have geeky feel, and I think it will be equally well accepted by regular consumers and PDA enthusiasts. Also the price is right. It's $99 with contract, but without contract, you can get one for <$300 at eBay. That's not a bad price for PDA functionality alone, and I suppose Palm can sell Centro outside of the US as a PDA if it adds built-in Wifi. (I know, I know...)

I have been very happy with Mogul and bought a Centro for curiosity without expecting too much. Centro is limited by the Garnet, and it can't match the power and versatility of Mogul. But, I have the feeling I will keep Centro for longer time than I previously expected... or not. My wife saw my Centro last night, and I feel before long, Centro will find a new owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ignar View Post
    I have and love both. I will probably go back to Mogul some time since it meets my needs better, but Centro is certainly a good PDA phone, probably the best Palm has ever created. (I've used Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p in addition to more than 10 Palm devices)
    I didn't like Centrol very much in the beginning, but it grows on me. I especially love its form factor and thumbboard. The design and color are beautiful and the size is just right. It doesn't have geeky feel, and I think it will be equally well accepted by regular consumers and PDA enthusiasts. Also the price is right. It's $99 with contract, but without contract, you can get one for <$300 at eBay. That's not a bad price for PDA functionality alone, and I suppose Palm can sell Centro outside of the US as a PDA if it adds built-in Wifi. (I know, I know...)

I have been very happy with Mogul and bought a Centro for curiosity without expecting too much. Centro is limited by the Garnet, and it can't match the power and versatility of Mogul. But, I have the feeling I will keep Centro for longer time than I previously expected... or not. My wife saw my Centro last night, and I feel before long, Centro will find a new owner.

Curiosity, what can you do on your Mogul that you can't on the Centro?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Curiosity, what can you do on your Mogul that you can't on the Centro?
    I have been using both Palm and WM devices long enough to know how to get around shortcomings of each platform to make it work for me, so if you give me one device, I will survive. But, with both devices in front of me and I see some pros and cons of each. I think Mogul has edge over Centro in:

Better performance, Wifi, Faster data connection (on PDA and tethering), unicode support, sturdy, better browser, battery life, customizable ROM, better camera (though I think Centro is easy to take a pic with one hand), larger screen, smoother video playing, non-proprietary connector, jog dial, Exchange sync (Versamail can't sync tasks, and I don't like Versamail overall), more apps (at least for my needs. Also Styletap can run many PalmOS apps on WM just fine)

Cons: Heavier, Larger, Less sexy, No thumbboard (I'm convinced that thumbboard is a better option than sliding keyboard for PDA phone), less optimal one handed operation (WM has come long way, but Palm still has an edge here), unreliable alarm (can't believe MS still hasn't fixed it)
    Last edited by ignar; 10/30/2007 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF View Post
    Curious if anyone has done this and what are your thoughts on the matter... I just saw the Centro and it looks really nice. My mogul works perfectly but what can I say I'm addicted to gadgets. Anyone have any thoughts? Would you switch if you could? Pro's... Cons..

thanks in advance...

KAOS
    Keep your Mogul. You must have the ONLY Mogul on the planet that works perfectly. All the rest have massive BT problems, memory management issues, problems with the screen waking up, volume issues, etc.
    I have been using both Palm and WM devices long enough to know how to get around shortcomings of each platform to make it work for me, so if you give me one device, I will survive. But, with both devices in front of me and I see some pros and cons of each. I think Mogul has edge over Centro in:

Better performance, Wifi, Faster data connection (on PDA and tethering), unicode support, sturdy, better browser, battery life, customizable ROM, better camera (though I think Centro is easy to take a pic with one hand), larger screen, smoother video playing, non-proprietary connector, jog dial, Exchange sync (Versamail can't sync tasks, and I don't like Versamail overall), more apps (at least for my needs. Also Styletap can run many PalmOS apps on WM just fine)

Cons: Heavier, Larger, Less sexy, No thumbboard (I'm convinced that thumbboard is a better option than sliding keyboard for PDA phone), less optimal one handed operation (WM has come long way, but Palm still has an edge here), unreliable alarm (can't believe MS still hasn't fixed it)
    I have bounced back and forth on both platforms and I have to agree with you on most points. I really like the function of the Mogul, but not real happy with functionality. I think the Centro has the edge in functionality, (it's easier to use one-handed). Yes, you can customize ROMs with the Mogul, but I decided I was doing too much of this and not actually using it for what I needed. That's partially why I decided to go with the Centro to get back to basics and use the device for what I need it to do. Centro does those things easier and faster for me.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm about to buy a week old Mogul from a lady who hated it and bought a Centro. I still have my 700Wx, but I do miss the bigger screen from my (sold) 8125/Wizard, so I see if the Mogul is a big step up.
    I had a mogul for about 7 weeks (Sprint messed up the return package so I got it for some extra time. I then went to a 755 for almost the full 30 days and then went back to my 650 so I could get the Centro. The Centro is due in on Monday so I cannot offer a hands on comparison but I can give the good and bad of the mogul.

Good
    - Screen is great, I loved how big it was
    - when taking notes, it was great to have a bigger keyboard
    - HTML email, I really miss this feature but the whole time I was using it I was missing Chatter
    - Media - I know all the stuff Palm can do so this is not a rant but WM does some things better. I have a Grandcentral account and could just click on a link and they would play. Kinoma does play them but it is not as clean.
    - Today screen was nice to have

Bad
    - Email, outside of the HTML thing above, Pocket Outlook stinks
    - battery, it was pathetic and that was with manual syncs of emails
    - phone application, POS is just better at this, I do miss the search feature of WM but that is about it
    - speed - it was a dog
    - bluetooth - I never thought something would be worse then my 650 but the mogul was

There was some other stuff but even after 7 weeks with the mogul it never felt natural. Some people love it and I can see the benefits but the POS benefits were just stronger for me.

I will update if this post is still on page 1 once I get my Centro.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I tried to see if Sprint could do something for me so I could buy a centro... they didn't bite. I've had my mogul for 3 months and wanted to buy the centro as well but not for full price. Anyway since they took care of me when i got the mogul i didn't want to press the issue. My brother is going to buy a centro and he will get it for 99.00 bucks... I'll just be jealous that he got it for so cheap.

I guess I will just have to buy one on ebay or craigslist... Unless some of you savvy gadget addicts know a different way I could get one...

KAOS
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF View Post
    I guess I will just have to buy one on ebay or craigslist... Unless some of you savvy gadget addicts know a different way I could get one...

KAOS
    I might have one in the Classifieds in a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintoro View Post
    Bad
    - Email, outside of the HTML thing above, Pocket Outlook stinks
    - battery, it was pathetic and that was with manual syncs of emails
    - phone application, POS is just better at this, I do miss the search feature of WM but that is about it
    - speed - it was a dog
    - bluetooth - I never thought something would be worse then my 650 but the mogul was
    If you think the battery life of Mogul is pathetic, I wonder what you'd say about Centro which has much shorter life in my case. But, I suspect either your Mogul is defective or you have some settings wrong since I have a "great" battery life with Mogul and I leave Exchange push mail and bluetooth on all the time.
    I once flashed a customized WM 5 ROM on my Mogul and was shocked to see the battery life became horrible with the ROM. BatteryStatus app showed Mogul lost 300~600mA per second with the ROM while with a stock WM6, it was usually in 60~120mA range. So I believe software has effect on the battery life, and even with WM6, some software or bad settings can dramatically change the battery life. (That said, Centro's battery life is not very bad though I certainly wish it can last longer.)
    As for the speed, Palm OS sure has edge in speed, but I don't think Mogul is a dog either. I have both Mogul and Centro in front of me, and I don't really see Mogul is that slow at all. Again, it's related how it is setup and some registry tweak can make a big difference. Also white screen is not completely gone with Centro. But, I observe it much less frequently compared to previous Treo's.
    If you think the battery life of Mogul is pathetic, I wonder what you'd say about Centro which has much shorter life in my case. But, I suspect either your Mogul is defective or you have some settings wrong since I have a "great" battery life with Mogul and I leave Exchange push mail and bluetooth on all the time.
    I once flashed a customized WM 5 ROM on my Mogul and was shocked to see the battery life became horrible with the ROM. BatteryStatus app showed Mogul lost 300~600mA per second with the ROM while with a stock WM6, it was usually in 60~120mA range. So I believe software has effect on the battery life, and even with WM6, some software or bad settings can dramatically change the battery life. (That said, Centro's battery life is not very bad though I certainly wish it can last longer.)
    As for the speed, Palm OS sure has edge in speed, but I don't think Mogul is a dog either. I have both Mogul and Centro in front of me, and I don't really see Mogul is that slow at all. Again, it's related how it is setup and some registry tweak can make a big difference. Also white screen is not completely gone with Centro. But, I observe it much less frequently compared to previous Treo's.
    My experience when I first got a 700w was switching to Exchange email actually made my battery life go up. For some reason initiating a manual email pull seemed to drain the battery faster. So you're right, that, and some other settings may solve his battery issues. You have to be careful about what the 3rd party apps you install are doing in the background. Sometimes they don't close properly and can drain a full battery in no time flat.
    I had the Mogul, and I love so many things about it. The time came when the Mogul became an over kill for me, so the Centro stepped in. The Centro is such a great little device, and I have yet to look back. The price, size, feel, and features makes the Centro a PDA to have IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast