Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    So I've been using PDANet for the last few days: very stable. But also very slow, in comparison to my WM devices.

    Here I mean I was only getting around 530kbps with PDANet, whereas I normally get 1,000+kbps with the WM version. (I'm using Speakeasy, for reference)

    I just installed USB Modem 1.59 which adds Centro support. Sure enough, I'm now getting 1,000+kbps again.

    What has everyone else's experiences been with PDANet and speeds? What few settings it had, I tried to adjust, but honestly it's a pretty hands-off program.

    I feel much better now with USBModem as this is the DUN performance I'm used to... but I'm sort of confused as to why the difference. lol

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2. #2  
    i use USB modem for the simple reason that its the only one that works with Macs Performance has been very good.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So I've been using PDANet for the last few days: very stable. But also very slow, in comparison to my WM devices.

    Here I mean I was only getting around 530kbps with PDANet, whereas I normally get 1,000+kbps with the WM version. (I'm using Speakeasy, for reference)

    I just installed USB Modem 1.59 which adds Centro support. Sure enough, I'm now getting 1,000+kbps again.

    What has everyone else's experiences been with PDANet and speeds? What few settings it had, I tried to adjust, but honestly it's a pretty hands-off program.

    I feel much better now with USBModem as this is the DUN performance I'm used to... but I'm sort of confused as to why the difference. lol

    Please see this post:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...49&postcount=4

    And this post:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...9&postcount=15

    And report the result if you can. I presume you are enabled "EVDO optimization"?

    Thanks for any information.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

    BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

    A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
  4. kg6bki's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #4  
    I like PDA Net ...click the Icon and it logs your computer onto the internet for you. With USB Modem I had to click connect on the palm and then the dial connection on the Laptop...Im getting lightning fast speeds as this is my primary connection at home.
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

    Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
  5. #5  
    not to hijack the thread but i thought that the evdo rev a was only 400-800 kbps average, are the 1000 plus numbers the average you're getting or just spikes at times?? just curious.

    cuz, my wife and i are paying for the unlimited phone as modem hook up (as our only internet access at home and for when we get around to owning laptops, and i know we could use the pdanet or usbmodem stuff but i'm a chicken so i will pay ) and we have to clean our computer at home before we reconnect to the internet ( virus/spyware crap) so i don't know how fast this home connection on the pc will be and i was just confused and curious as to the speeds

    thanks in advance and again sorry for hijacking thread, just didn't know if it deserved it's own place
  6. #6  
    hi all
    i have the previous version of usb modem. how do i upgrade to the latest?
    thanks!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    hi all
    i have the previous version of usb modem. how do i upgrade to the latest?
    thanks!
    go back to that email they sent you when you purchased the phone. It will lead you to the new usb modem retail download page carrying the newest version.

    had that same question yesterday. Figured it out today. I just tried it out today and i can finally do DUN with my Treo 755p thru bluetooth!
  8. #8  
    got it! thanks. it works like a charm with the centro and is blazing fast!!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    not to hijack the thread but i thought that the evdo rev a was only 400-800 kbps average, are the 1000 plus numbers the average you're getting or just spikes at times?? just curious.
    The 400-800kbps is sort of the average stream speeds--sort of the minimum expectations.

    But EvDO is capable of "bursts" of up to 2mbps. Combine that with a good signal/tower system and it's not uncommon to see speeds nearing or averaging around 1000kbps. I've seen this with WM devices (Moto Q, 700wx) and the Centro using USB Modem.

    Update for the rest: I still find USB Modem much faster than PDANet...but, PDANet can be more stable when doing large, multiple downloads e.g. multiple 10+mb files.

    PDANet keeps my speeds around 700kbps, where USB Modem will peak at around 1.2mbps.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. #10  
    I use USB Modem with my 700p and get around 1mbps average from my house.
  11. #11  
    hey Malatesta, thanks clearin' it up for me. much appreciated
  12. #12  
    To set up the usb modem, do I have to call the provider to get the APN? The dial number is #777 right? and the user name and password can be left blank? I plan on playing with this program later on in the week, but figured I would get all the questions out now.....
  13. #13  
    Another plus of PDANet is the proxy mode. It's not as stable as the DUN connection but is great when you need to be on multiple networks at once.
  14. #14  
    Do you have the 'use as modem' service on your Sprint account? I was reading that if you don't have that and you do use your phone as a modem, they charge you some amount per K/b.

    So i guess my question is, if you use USB Modem or PDANet for that matter, can Sprint tell that your using your phone as a modem?
  15. #15  
    Is there an icon somewhere to tell if you're connected to EVDO? I'm getting like 56k speeds on my phone.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Another plus of PDANet is the proxy mode.
    I have always wondered what this meant.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post
    Is there an icon somewhere to tell if you're connected to EVDO? I'm getting like 56k speeds on my phone.
    when you're in EVDO coverage, you'll see two columns of three triangles and when data is active, they blink in blue. i think in slower speeds, you get two green arrows...
  18. #18  
    Does Evdo come with Power Vision, or is this a premium service?

    Also, are you charged for kb's when using Evdo?

    Thanks!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  19. #19  
    PowerVision IS EVdo.
    You have it on your Centro.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
  20. #20  
    Thanks Bek!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions