Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    I have always wondered what this meant.
    I use it on my pc at work. They block many legitimate websites. So I use Firefox and a plugin called FoxyProxy to dynamically switch proxy servers for sites that are blocked. For example, normal sites are routed through my company's proxy server. Blocked sites automatically get redirected to 127.0.0.1 . That's the proxy address PDANet uses in proxy mode. This is great because all of my network traffic ie. Outlook, windows explorer, database connections etc... still work. Only network requests routed to 127.0.0.1 get routed through my treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek View Post
    PowerVision IS EVdo.
    You have it on your Centro.
    Assuming you have it in your area, we don't.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I use it on my pc at work. They block many legitimate websites. So I use Firefox and a plugin called FoxyProxy to dynamically switch proxy servers for sites that are blocked. For example, normal sites are routed through my company's proxy server. Blocked sites automatically get redirected to 127.0.0.1 . That's the proxy address PDANet uses in proxy mode. This is great because all of my network traffic ie. Outlook, windows explorer, database connections etc... still work. Only network requests routed to 127.0.0.1 get routed through my treo.
    Isn't that still a tad risky? (in terms of violating your co's policies by visiting those sites). Yes, your IT dept. won't see traffic redirected to localhost and sent over your Centro. But, are you certain they don't have some type of desktop monitoring software installed? My previous company had this, all desktops were monitored & could be recorded. Out of precaution, I surf entirely on the Centro or if need be, a personal laptop connected to the Centro.

Also, you might want to make sure whether FoxyProxy redirects DNS lookups. When you configure Firefox to use a proxy, DNS lookups are not redirected automatically through that proxy (by default, Firefox will still use the local DNS). You have to go into about:config and manually force Firefox to do remote DNS lookups. A competent IT admin could see you doing all of these DNS lookups to blocked sites and that will get you red flagged..
    My desktop is safe. I also use a VMWare virtual machine to do all of my surfing as an extra precaution. I'm not worried about breaking company policy. Most of the websites I visit are work related. I do this because it takes anywhere from 24-48 hours to get an unblock request processed for a site. Then 90% of the time they only unblock the site for 1-2 days.

I hadn't thought about the DNS lookups. Thanks for the info.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12