Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Although I did venture into my local Sprint store today to see if I could see a Touch in the flesh, I didn't have to ask for it...

I wandered over to the new Centro on display, started playing with it again (trying to see just what Blazer would do with my favorite websites, frankly it didn't do too well...). A salesman saunted up to me and asked if he could help... of course I said "just looking"... He said "You're interested in the Centro ? I've got something better to show you... and within 10 seconds he back and plops the new Sprint Touch in my hand. He proceeded to tell me how the Touch completely trounces the Centro...

I needn't say too much more except that I was extremely impressed with the Touch... in the flesh... its sooo tiny when compared with even the Centro. It made me wonder what a Touch would be like with PalmOS on it, and how Palm could have really hit a home run with a Touch-like Palm device, instead of the warmed-over Treo that the Centro is... Sure, the Touch is WM6, and I know what that means, but from a hardware standpoint, HTC does trounce Palm totally... And the only thing that will hold the Touch back relative to the Centro in the eyes of the average consumer is the price differential... and Palm has a real problem now if what I experienced with my local Sprint salesguy is typical of what is going to be happening in Sprint stores around the country...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Although I did venture into my local Sprint store today to see if I could see a Touch in the flesh, I didn't have to ask for it...

I wandered over to the new Centro on display, started playing with it again (trying to see just what Blazer would do with my favorite websites, frankly it didn't do too well...). A salesman saunted up to me and asked if he could help... of course I said "just looking"... He said "You're interested in the Centro ? I've got something better to show you... and within 10 seconds he back and plops the new Sprint Touch in my hand. He proceeded to tell me how the Touch completely trounces the Centro...

I needn't say too much more except that I was extremely impressed with the Touch... in the flesh... its sooo tiny when compared with even the Centro. It made me wonder what a Touch would be like with PalmOS on it, and how Palm could have really hit a home run with a Touch-like Palm device, instead of the warmed-over Treo that the Centro is... Sure, the Touch is WM6, and I know what that means, but from a hardware standpoint, HTC does trounce Palm totally... And the only thing that will hold the Touch back relative to the Centro in the eyes of the average consumer is the price differential... and Palm has a real problem now if what I experienced with my local Sprint salesguy is typical of what is going to be happening in Sprint stores around the country...

No qwerty physical keyboard? Who cares how thin and light it is. Until a person has more to do than text their little friends and surf youtube, they won't appreciate the absolute necessity of physical keys for dialing/typing/entering tasks while in the car one handed while on a conference call.

Oh, and windows mobile? No thanks. Been there, done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    No qwerty physical keyboard? Who cares how thin and light it is. Until a person has more to do than text their little friends and surf youtube, they won't appreciate the absolute necessity of physical keys for dialing/typing/entering tasks while in the car one handed while on a conference call.

Oh, and windows mobile? No thanks. Been there, done that.
    Couldn't agree more on the physical keyboard.

WM, on the other hand, is love/hate for me.

Palm/Palm OS: more "tweakable" (via 3rd-party apps), more stable, more efficient, but no multi-tasking. 320x320 is very nice.

WM: purpose-built Opera for WM (more powerful than Opera Mini), multi-tasking (one can fire off an SMS and move on to something else immediately, or have other apps running and go back to exactly where it left off), more modern operating environment, possibly more new apps and functionalities to come than for Palm OS.

The Touch Dual would be better, but not sure if that is coming to Sprint. For me, the HTC S730 would be ideal. Numeric keypad outside plus a slide QWERTY.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    I have to agree with the lack of keyboard. I tried and tried to get where I could use my Mogul without having to slide out the keyboard. I installed a great app TouchPal. It works great, but to me, it took too much screen space for most programs. I picked up the Centro and so far I really like it. I've pretty much loaded it up like I had my 755 and it seems to be extremely stable.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    ... and Palm has a real problem now if what I experienced with my local Sprint salesguy is typical of what is going to be happening in Sprint stores around the country...
    Whoa. A Sprint salesman was actually trying to sell you the more expensive phone?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Whoa. A Sprint salesman was actually trying to sell you the more expensive phone?
    more precisely, a Sprint salesman vigorously and enthusiastically worked to dissuade me from making a $100 purchase today in favor of a $250 purchase that could only be made a week into the future...

But he really wasn't talking overtly about $$$ and sales, rather it was a geek a geek sort of chat

I don't think they make much off of phone sales anyways, so I doubt they care what phone they sell me, as long as it involves the activation of a new line -- with $$/mo in data charges...
    more precisely, a Sprint salesman vigorously and enthusiastically worked to dissuade me from making a $100 purchase today in favor of a $250 purchase that could only be made a week into the future...

But he really wasn't talking overtly about $$$ and sales, rather it was a geek a geek sort of chat

I don't think they make much off of phone sales anyways, so I doubt they care what phone they sell me, as long as it involves the activation of a new line -- with $$/mo in data charges...
    lol, i know, just busting on ya.

Touch is a nice device, but I really would have liked the Touch II. Sprint tries to be ahead of the curve, but are always just a little behind it. Luckily most won't know about a Touch II.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #8  
    by Touch II, I presume you mean the Touch Dual aka Nike (or this there yet another device I don't know about...), yeah the Touch Dual could be better yet...

I won't be praising the software aspect of the Touch, but the hardware *is* impressive... just pissed that Palm didn't think it would be important to make a Touch with PalmOS... I think Sprint is going to sell alot of these Touch devices...
    The Touch's photo album software has now been ripped, and runs very nicely on my Kaiser. It looks awesome, and works for videos too. Its a real pity the American HTC devices are so heavily customized by the carriers - there is hardly any resemblance between the software features of the HTC Kaiser and AT&T Tilt, and the Sprint Touch I believe does not even come with HTC's iPod-like Audio manager.

I would advise anyone who buys a Tilt or Touch to visit xda-developers.com and load up on the apps which should have come pre-installed on their devices in the first place.

Surur
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Sprint commissions are not based on handset pricing. FWIW
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    lol, i know, just busting on ya.

Touch is a nice device, but I really would have liked the Touch II. Sprint tries to be ahead of the curve, but are always just a little behind it. Luckily most won't know about a Touch II.

i would love the touch 2 and tilt on sprint if we got that i would be droping like 800 for those 2 sick devices. LOL.
    no keyboard = no sale for moi

enjoy yours!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It made me wonder what a Touch would be like with PalmOS on it, and how Palm could have really hit a home run with a Touch-like Palm device, instead of the warmed-over Treo that the Centro is...
    I actually love to see Centro with WM6. I use both Mogul and Centro, and Mogul works better for me overall. But, I love the thumb board and form factor of Centro, and think WM6 on Centro would be a great device. Palm may already work on Centro W maybe?
  14.    #14  
    One thing the Touch and the Centro do have in common: They are both in dire need for a better stylus from a 3rd party -- the Centro, for a stylus with the quality of a coffee stirrer, and the Touch for a stylus designed for the hand of a 8 year old...
    HTC makes okay hardware but WM is for the birds, period. Good technology with a lousy interface is just as bad as the reverse.

And I agree on the keyboard. I need physical buttons.
    Touch has been launched in Asia for quite sometimes. I feel that the speed is horrible compare to other WM devices, such as O2 mini, O2 Atom or other HTC device. You will see the delay when running application. Maybe the problem is the CPU speed. The so-called Touch technology is mainly used to navigate the menu. I don't see much functionality enhancement by applying to the software I freqently use. Personally, I get used to the Palm's quick dial (Treo 750). I seldom use the numeric dial pad.

Touch 2 has not launched in Asia. For the numeric pad for Touch, I imagine that it is too wide to hold by using one hand and also the weight balance is not so good. (I may be wrong.)

If I only use the touch as a phone, I better get Motorola, Samsung or LG. If I use it as smartphone, the touch screen is not the best solution. You see one of the negative comment of iPhone is the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Touch has been launched in Asia for quite sometimes. I feel that the speed is horrible compare to other WM devices, such as O2 mini, O2 Atom or other HTC device. You will see the delay when running application. Maybe the problem is the CPU speed. The so-called Touch technology is mainly used to navigate the menu. I don't see much functionality enhancement by applying to the software I freqently use. Personally, I get used to the Palm's quick dial (Treo 750). I seldom use the numeric dial pad.

Touch 2 has not launched in Asia. For the numeric pad for Touch, I imagine that it is too wide to hold by using one hand and also the weight balance is not so good. (I may be wrong.)

If I only use the touch as a phone, I better get Motorola, Samsung or LG. If I use it as smartphone, the touch screen is not the best solution. You see one of the negative comment of iPhone is the keyboard.
    The GSM Touch has a slow 200 MHz processor, but this is helped greatly by overclocking, which is safe, easy and free. Its bigger problem is a shortage of memory, as the Touchflo interface uses a lot of it. 64 MB is not really enough.

The CDMA Touch and GSM Touch Slide both have faster 400 MHz processors and 128 MB RAM, so they do not have any problem running quite well.

They keyboard may obviously bother some people, but the very first WM PDA phones (the old XDA and XDA II (which I owned) as well as the XDA mini, HTC Prophet, HTC Artemis etc etc) did not have a keyboard either and people survived quite well.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/28/2007 at 05:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    They keyboard may obviously bother some people, but the very first WM PDA phones (the old XDA and XDA II (which I owned) as well as the XDA mini, HTC Prophet, HTC Artemis etc etc) did not have a keyboard either and people survived quite well.
    I agreed PDA without keyboard may not bother some people. It all depends on how they use it. Personally, I used a lot of different model of pda phones, like mentioned XDA, XDA2. Until I used XDA2S (it has a sliding keyboard) then I realized that I can't go back to PDA without keyboard. Maybe the usage of email / messaging increased from time to time. When I used the XDA2, I could type very faster and more so I was using MSN and email a lot. After upgraded from XDA2 to HP69xx, I realised another problem, that is one hand operation is very important. That's why I finally switched to Treo 750.

For the touch screen, you can't type as fast as thumb-keyboard. You can't type message using one hand. This is for sure.

Personal I think keyboard is important. You can see from the following:
    - most of the latest model of HTC devices with a keyboard, even the candy bar smartphone.
    - the latest model of Samsung UPMC also added a keyboard.
    - no keyboardless BB.
    - the wireless keyboard is one of the best selling accessories.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. So long as the users happy with their device, regardless whether it is touch-screen or keyboard. I only share my own experience.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter. So long as the users happy with their device, regardless whether it is touch-screen or keyboard. I only share my own experience.
    True, it depends completely on usage models.

Its really funny that MS worked very hard to move from stylus-centric usage (WM 2003 and earlier) to keyboard-based usage (WM5) (the soft keys, the short cut keys etc) and now the whole world is switching around to touching the screen again.

Surur
  20.    #20  
    Touch has been launched in Asia for quite sometimes. I feel that the speed is horrible compare to other WM devices, such as O2 mini, O2 Atom or other HTC device. You will see the delay when running application.
    For the numeric pad for Touch, I imagine that it is too wide to hold by using one hand and also the weight balance is not so good. (I may be wrong.)
    I agreed PDA without keyboard may not bother some people. It all depends on how they use it.
    Never tried the GSM Touch, but the 400Mhz Sprint Touch feels very snappy and responsive... no delays at all.

No, it doesn't feel too wide at all... You need to try it in person... The photos of the Touch make you think it is a large slab device like other HTC devices or Palm PDAs, but it isn't at all. It feels and looks very small and not wide at all, nothing like, e.g. a Q. more like half a Q or holding a RAZR or Samsung M510 with flip closed.

I'm an old Palm'er starting from the Pilot 1000. I Graffiti pretty fast and I like it -- better than QWERTY'ing and the added surface real estate that that requires. That's my personal preference ... no QWERTY doesn't bother me at all. And I'm happy that WM's "block recognizer" completely understands my Graffiti, so nothing new to learn...

I don't like the stylus on the Touch -- way too short. And I *am* loathed to give up a physical keypad.

Frankly, if one is so tied to QWERTY and WM, I'm not sure why one would care about WM/Pro (PPC) over WM/Std (Smartphone). I think its kinda fumbily mixing QWERTY and stylus usage, trying to hold the stylus while QWERTY'ing. Perhaps Palm thinks the same by introducing the Treo 500v... If I'm typing on a PC's keyboard, I prefer keyboard-only editing (and editors). Jumping back and forth between keyboard and mouse is a huge inconvenience... (but then I'm an old VI'er)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast