Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I just got a Centro (my first Palm since a very ancient IIIe) and I have been excited to get movies and tv shows on it, as I have a long trainride commute and am always looking for new ways to kill some time. Anyway, I have Pocket Divx Encoder, which works great, so I am making pretty small files, like say 50 megs for a 23-min show.

The problem is, when I drag a movie file onto Palm Quick Install, the importing process takes a really really long time. Like more than 5 minutes per file, just to get to the point where I can start HotSyncing.

What's the deal? Is it just terrible software, or is it doing something really useful that I'm not seeing? Is there any way around this?

My needs are really pretty simple, just putting files on the Centro. I'd like to avoid shelling out $15 for Card Export II, because it seems like this is the sort of functionality we shouldn't have to pay for. Am I just naive?

Thanks very much in advance!
    I use CardReader, and honestly, it's the best money I've ever spent. I can use my Centro like a USB drive.

As far as your movies go, I once tried to sync an avi file and if memory serves (which it usually doesn't)...I lost memory (ha ha) but couldn't find the file. I think it was in a hidden directory. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

At any rate, I totally understand you not wanting to buy more software, but I have to tell you that of all the things I have on my Palm, that is the one program that I can honestly and whole heartedly tell you was worth every penny.

I don't work for them nor am I affiliated. Just a very, very happy customer.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but maybe just by my response this will be bumped up and someone else can come along and help.

P.S. FairUseWizard is free and works great for converting movies.
    You can also use a card reader to transfer movies. Works great and quick.
    Once the video is on the centro, what program do you view it with? Palm "Pics&Videos"? Is there a preferred format which plays smoothly on the palm os?
    David
    For me, it's TCMP using mp4 format. I generally transfer from my TIVO to my computer.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    For me, it's TCMP using mp4 format. I generally transfer from my TIVO to my computer.
    Hey JohnH59. How do you transfer the shows on your TIVO onto your PC? Do you know if you can transfer TIVO onto a MAC?
    Last edited by junyea; 10/28/2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: name
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Yep. You probably also need the mp3 file. I watched 3:10 to Yuma and it was great. The file was about 700mb and looked and sounded great. If you know were to look, there are many movies available, most in avi (mp4) fomat.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    As far as your movies go, I once tried to sync an avi file and if memory serves (which it usually doesn't)...I lost memory (ha ha) but couldn't find the file. I think it was in a hidden directory. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that.
    Hotsync puts it in a subfolder within the DCIM folder on the card. Very hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by junyea View Post
    Hey JohnH59. How do you transfer the shows on your TIVO onto your PC? Do you know if you can transfer TIVO onto a MAC?
    I use TIVO desktop to transfer videos from TIVO's to my desktop and then have them automatically converted to mp4 format for portable devices.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I watched 3:10 to Yuma and it was great. The file was about 700mb and looked and sounded great.
    Given the screen resolution of the Centro and similar devices, it is generally possible to compress a standard 2 hour movie to around 200Mb (as little as 120Mb, as much as 320Mb or so) and retain high quality sufficient for these tiny screens. Obviously doing this means a lot more movies per storage card...