Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In 24 hrs. I dropped my beloved 650 for the Centro. I honestly just learned about the Centro only a couple of days ago. I've been in "parent world" and wasn't having a problem with my 650, but from time to time, I do come to Treo to see what's up and 1st found out here about the Centro. Thought about it and with the instant savings and rebate (although I dislike rebates), I was eligible for, decided this was as good a time as ever and a good product as well for a upgrade.

I picked it up from a Sprint distributor here in MD for a total of $212, they raised my data from $10.00 to $15.00 a month though. I tried to keep the old price, but it didn't happen.

So here are my first impressions:

1. Wow
    2. Wow, and
    3. Wow!

I love the lightening speed of the internet, it's even faster than my home high speed internet. Although I had become quite used to taking the 650 around for the last few years, the weight of the Centro makes it really easy to slide in and out of places. I felt like I lost a few pounds. (Ok, jk)

I had to adjust to the smaller screen, but I did so much quicker than I would have thought.

The camera's pics seem sharper to me as do the video's. I am elated to not have to worry about Ram space anymore! Sprint TV is nice, not to say I'll really use it since I'm not paying for premium channels, but nice to have.

The saleman helped me set it up and sent over my base contacts, pics.

Afterwards, I took it for a lil customization and here are the software that work on my Centro:

BDicty
    Bible+
    ClockPop
    Colorize
    Diddlebug
    FileZ
    Noah's Ark
    PacDude (loaded up and works, but seems not to exit properly)
    Shoplist
    Slap
    Softset
    TimerLT
    XO

I did not sync the program or the two units, I just beamed and BT'ed the programs and checked each to be sure they were compatiable.

I still need to learn to navigate the unit to be more comfortable as I was with the 650, but like anything new, it is a learning curve.

What I like about it too is that being Palm, it was a smoother transition, I wasn't yanked into a whole new platform world.

The salesman was surprised I came back for the Centro today since he demo'ed the 755 in detail for me yesterday. I assured him I had did my homework. When I asked him what his take was on the Centro, he replied that it is more for a entry level Palm smartphone user. I had to tell him that I had did extensive research and even seasoned users were switching to the Centro, and not just newbies and the younger market.

I do think the 755 is a good unit, but IMHO; the Centro is just sleeker!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Welcome to the fold.

Yup, the Centro is a power-user's phone, like any Treo (which is what Palm was going to call this up until the last minute). It's a killer device, in a great form factor.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    I am a power user and fell in love with centro first time i used it.Purchased it on line with a sero plan now i am getting ready to sell my 750 and not looking back. I was very happy with my 750 with WM6 but must say the centro is so much faster in using the phone and web how they call it entry level blows my mind This is the best treo i had ever had and i started using them sinse the 180.

Fred
  4.    #4  
    Some help...

I'm racking my brain trying to remember and figure out which file is the "calendar" files to send them over to the Centro. I need to send the actual dates and events, etc. I'm looking at FileZ. Anybody?

Thanks

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Here's a "me, too." Although I literally dropped my 650 one time too many, and was forced to choose a new device. Hadn't heard about the Centro 'till I came on Treocentral to check out the 750/755. My old phone number isn't "ported" from Cingular, yet, but I love what I see so far.

I started with the 300 after they'd been out for about a month. I can't imagine why this is being sold as a "starter" smartphone. What *doesn't* it do that the 700 or 750/755 will?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    When I asked him what his take was on the Centro, he replied that it is more for a entry level Palm smartphone user. I had to tell him that I had did extensive research and even seasoned users were switching to the Centro, and not just newbies and the younger market.
    I think they just recite that line from their Centro training guide.

Congrats on your new toy, don't let the kids play with it!
    Got my Centro Thursday. The reps tried to talk me into a 755p. I had waited two days for it to come in...went to pick it up and the reps were jealous. It's fast, stable, has EVDO, and the form is near perfect. My 680 was crap compared to this phone.

The Sprint email set up in seconds. I hold down mail button and my hotmail is downloaded with a nice user interface and access to my contacts, etc.

I always liked my Palms, but I'm afraid I'm an addict now...not to mention my Sprint Broadband card that replaced Comcast and took less than 5 minutes to setup.

Happy camper feeling sappy.

(Typed on Centro and love the keyboard over the 680. Keys have grip on this phone.)
    I just love mine too! I've had no problems yet.
    I came from Verizon to Sprint because of the 755P. While I love the 755P and its capabilities, when the Centro came out I just had to look. Man...big mistake. I paid full retail for this little baby, but don't regret it one bit. Frankly, the Centro is performing how the 755P should have. Don't get me wrong...there's nothing imminently wrong with the 755P, but I haven't had one reset, bluetooth drop, or anything else with the Centro. I so happy with the Centro. I really do wish they had kept it in the "Treo" naming convention, because I think it would have revived the whole "Treo" name.

Anyway, I'm happy as can be and have more third party things on here than I can begin to list. With no issues. Love Love Love my Centro!!! I even sleep with it (next to the bed). The 755 didn't get that status!!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I agree, other than the more professional look and build of 755, Centro is better in all other areas. I am also puzzled by the drop of Treo name. I can only hope that the next Treo will be a big leap in features. I have high hope of the now delayed PalmOS II. I may switch back to Treo if the Linux Palm is have more memory and stable.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    GeekyMom,
    I picked up my Centro yesterday too! I tried to love the 755, I really did. However, work has me tethered to a 700 and with it in one pocket of my scrubs and the 755 in the other.....that's just toooooo much.
    With the Centro, it was love at first sight/touch/fondle. It's a much better 'phone' than the 755 and thus far is kickin as a PDA. I couldn't be happier.
    P.S. How's the kids?
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Got my Centro in a day and a half, but the Sprint techs can't port my phone number for 5 - count 'em 5 - days. Spent over an hour on the phone today to find out that it'll probably be Tuesday before I can use the Centro.

It's beyond hard to get the battery cover on and off.

One of the Sprint phone "support" women had me do that to find the serial number. The next woman had me look on the box. Each person has a different procedure for each step.

Not only*why* is that, but HOW is that?
  13. FB4
    I like the shoplist program, but it crashes and reboots when I try to delete an entry. As a single dad it makes real easy to remember what I have and what needs to be bought. Anyone know anything similar? .. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by FB4 View Post
    I like the shoplist program, but it crashes and reboots when I try to delete an entry. As a single dad it makes real easy to remember what I have and what needs to be bought. Anyone know anything similar? .. Thanks!
    I'm thrilled with SplashShopper, but it isn't free. I used it just yesterday, no issues.

It is very handy to have an ongoing list that you can just check off what you need as you run out of it. Better than notes everywhere that get lost and never consolidated.
    Quote Originally Posted by FB4 View Post
    Have you tried HandyShopper?
    Quote Originally Posted by hocndoc View Post
    Got my Centro in a day and a half, but the Sprint techs can't port my phone number for 5 - count 'em 5 - days. Spent over an hour on the phone today to find out that it'll probably be Tuesday before I can use the Centro.
    ??? they give you a temporary number to use while the port is in progress, so there's no reason you should have to wait to use your Centro...
    congrats mel!!! welcome to the frenzy!!! did you get red or black?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    congrats mel!!! welcome to the frenzy!!! did you get red or black?
    Hey Shelly,.

I wanted the black one since there's no announcement of pink. -LOL

I was told the red would be out in a couple of weeks.

ok cool. ya, i've been trying to get a hold of a red one for a while now and still no luck. i'll keep checking my local store next week...
    ...definitely dreaming of a soft metallic pink Centro...

I think the red is too harsh. I carried the burgundy 755 for a while and this black Centro is just right for me. It's sleek and with Colorize (thanks Cathartic!) I have everything "pinked out".. )
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast