Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am thinking about changing to the Centro. Has anyone managed to get the tether hack to work yet?
    It worked when I set it up, but I found after using it for a few days that it made my slingplayer hiccup and buffer allot. Blazer downloads bottle necked (bursts of data) I went through and did a selective backup with resco, hard reset and restored all files that were not radio related or firmware related and slingplayer and blazer performance went back to normal. I would not recommend installing it.

Muff
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    USBModem and PDANet both work great with my Centro. Trying to figure out which one I want to keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966 View Post
    USBModem and PDANet both work great with my Centro. Trying to figure out which one I want to keep.
    USB Modem supports 64-bit Vista, an important feature for me. PDANet claims "EVDO speed optimization" that can "potentially double your download speed". Can anyone comment on this feature?

PDANet requires a client running on the PC while USB Modem simply installs a driver on the PC (I like this better).

On Sprint phones, one usually disables NAI to keep from being billed extra for tethering. I'm not sure if this can be/needs to be done on Palm devices.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Anyone else try the phoneinterfacelibrary hack??
    Please try...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966 View Post
    Is PDANet the same version as for the 755?
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Is there a limit, or way for Sprint to know how much data you're using by tethering? Is there a chance of Sprint flagging you if you use too much data?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    USB Modem supports 64-bit Vista, an important feature for me. PDANet claims "EVDO speed optimization" that can "potentially double your download speed". Can anyone comment on this feature?

PDANet requires a client running on the PC while USB Modem simply installs a driver on the PC (I like this better).
    I am curious about the EVDO speed optimization thing too. I, like you, would rather use USB Modem for the driver install only. But, if PDANet has better speed I will have a tougher decision. I am a little AR, so, I hate the little IE icon on the PDANet program.
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post
    Is there a limit, or way for Sprint to know how much data you're using by tethering? Is there a chance of Sprint flagging you if you use too much data?
    No, Yes, Yes.

Sprint always knows how much data you use, obviously. If you're using vast amounts they will be able to tell you're tethering by looking at the traffic itself - things like your web browser's user agent string (sent in HTTP requests to identify the browser type to the server) will give you away if they check.

Unless you have the Phone-as-Modem feature on your Sprint account, tethering is a violation of Sprint terms of service. You probably won't be busted if you use it occasionally but you do so at your own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    Please try...
    Didn't work for me. Just got resets as soon as I turned on the phone radio.
    Another question from me, does tethering use minutes or unlimited data?
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti029 View Post
    Another question from me, does tethering use minutes or unlimited data?
    data
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I've been trying both USB Modem and PDANet this weekend. So far, sort of good. Both work over USB. I'm not seeing much difference with PDANet's EVDO optimization.

I'd appreciate any help with getting both of these to work over Bluetooth. I've tried enabling/disabling BT DUN in USB Modem. Can't get either program to connect though.

I know BT DUN will be slower, but it's more convenient sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    I've been trying both USB Modem and PDANet this weekend. So far, sort of good. Both work over USB. I'm not seeing much difference with PDANet's EVDO optimization.
    Presuming you are in a good EVDO coverage area, please try these sites for speed test between PDANet and USB Modem, cable tethered, using Firefox or IE, test each site three times and record the results (including latency, if provided).

Use IE or Firefox (not Opera), run each test three times, and report the results:

http://speedtest.net
    http://2wire.com/bandwidth/initialmeter.php
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

This will hopefully provide us with real differences (if any) between PDANet EVDO optimization and USB modem.

I know this is a lot to ask, I'd appreciate anything you can do. Thanks.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I'm trying USBmodem and it works well over both USB and bluetooth. It also works fine with Mac. But, data speed is a little disappointing. I used to get 1000+ kbit/s connection by tethering Mogul, and now USB tethering with Centro gives me around 400 kbit and BT gets about 220 kbit. This is more about the limitation of Centro than USBmodem since 400 is about what I get on Centro without tethering. The slow data speed doesn't bother me too much right now since I don't tether very often, and on the mobile devices, 400 is decent for most work. But, when I travel, I will certainly consider bringing Mogul over Centro.
    Okay, I did some tests:

USB Modem is *definitely* faster for me than PDANet with EvDO optimization.

Speedtest.net consistently gave me 1000kbps or higher (max was 1307kbps), with an upload max of 112kbps on 3 tests.

Speakeasy consistently gives me 1000kbps or higher as well, where the same test on the same server with PDANet only gave me 530kbps as a max.

2wire gives me 1.09mbps.

Also, when I use my Newsgroup reader I can see my max download rate: when using PDANet, it was always around 400-600kbps. Now using USB Modem, I'm getting 1.2mbps which is exactly what I used to get with Windows Mobile.

This is not contest for myself as I can literally feel the difference in speed: USB Modem is much better but I do not know why.

(Plus, I can run USBModem in the background on the Centro where PDANet has to stay on screen in order to work!)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes the hack works just fine

No sprint will not give you any trouble.

I have 3 phones that have the tether hack and never a peep out of sprint

Sprint tethered is faster than any of the 3rd party software solutions because there is not a proxy server involved.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    The hack doesn't work on the Centro. Massive reset loop for me which requires hard resets to fix. I'm running the same software as on my 755p which never reset.
    Malatesta, I've never had to keep PDANet on the screen to run - there is a checkbox that will allow you to switch out of the app and keep it running. I know because I often look at my calendar while using PdaNet.....
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast