Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ok I'm a total NooB when it comes to tethering. I'm trying to set up USBModem with my MAC but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my password for sprint in order to enter it into my System Prefs or do I just need to connect the usb to the Centro and does it pop up. Sorry for the lame questions but this is killing me!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlman View Post
    Ok I'm a total NooB when it comes to tethering. I'm trying to set up USBModem with my MAC but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to have my password for sprint in order to enter it into my System Prefs or do I just need to connect the usb to the Centro and does it pop up. Sorry for the lame questions but this is killing me!
    Sorry, don't know much about the Mac. I'm assuming you've followed instructions to at leas get the Centro recognized by the MAC with USB Modem. At that point on a PC at least, you simply form a dialup connection as if you are dialing a modem. The modem in this case would be the Centro Phone though. For the phone number, put in #777, no username or password.

Now, I'm assuming you know how to dial out with a modem on the MAC as I don't know how to do. And I'm assuming that you've already followed the instructions to install the drivers/software.

Hopefully this works, post again if it doesn't, maybe someone with a Mac can offer more advice.
    OH MY LORD!!! It works! It works!

I sat down and decided to go step by step and read the install twice before I did anything. I look at a few sites on installing USBModem on a MAC. Well I did it correctly and I can only say why didnt I do this before!?!?! This is awesome. I can use my laptop now on trips and whenever my wife and I go.

Now all we need to figure out is tethering for my wifes Pearl 2.

Thank you guys for all the informative posts. i truly appreciate it.
    Last edited by pearlman; 01/28/2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom View Post
    there is a program that allows you to view Sony and Pansonic IP cameras that is not available for the Palm OS.
    Have you tried Kinoma? It works with some IP cams.
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData View Post
    Have you tried Kinoma? It works with some IP cams.
    Yep, Kinoma Player works with nearly every IP camera that supports MPEG-4 or Motion JPEG. We've even done specific work to support this:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/09/speci...-for-a-webcam/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Okay, I did some tests:

USB Modem is *definitely* faster for me than PDANet with EvDO optimization.

Speedtest.net consistently gave me 1000kbps or higher (max was 1307kbps), with an upload max of 112kbps on 3 tests.

Speakeasy consistently gives me 1000kbps or higher as well, where the same test on the same server with PDANet only gave me 530kbps as a max.

2wire gives me 1.09mbps.

Also, when I use my Newsgroup reader I can see my max download rate: when using PDANet, it was always around 400-600kbps. Now using USB Modem, I'm getting 1.2mbps which is exactly what I used to get with Windows Mobile.

This is not contest for myself as I can literally feel the difference in speed: USB Modem is much better but I do not know why.

(Plus, I can run USBModem in the background on the Centro where PDANet has to stay on screen in order to work!)

So im debating which product to purchase, PDAnet v. USBModem. Apparently USBModem has a faster top speed, if u can call it that, but i've read that PDAnet is more stable with consistent speeds. My BIG question is, is one program more secure with staying under the radar of the carrier (specifically Verizon)? Sounds to me that USBModem is more convenient for installing but PDAnet is more convenient for executing a connection. Which one should I purchase? Any advice is appreciated
    so if i use usbmodem ... sprint won't catch me with tethering... unless i'm downloading a huge movie or something? anyhow i just downloaded it and installed it... i am very very impressed with the speed. i was thinking close to dial up but it's very very close to dsl... if not almost the same... great product.. beats getting ripped off at starbucks now
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    If you're on AT&T DSL, Starbucks wi-fi is free.

USBmodem works for me on WinXP and SuSE Linux 10 (both via Bluetooth). I tried a USB cable connection, but speed tests show only ~350Kbps. Are you guys getting 700Kbps or more sitting underneath a Sprint tower?!
    how do i check? my speed?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Google "speed test", then go to dslreports or speakeasy...
    does it matter if i'm playing poker at the same time?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    That's a great download bandwidth!
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    That's a great download bandwidth!
    yea it feels like dsl... definitely a lot faster than dial up.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am trying to use USBModem with my Mac running Leopard to connect on Sprint. I have set up bluetooth according to the directions and I constantly get this error:

"Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

Any suggestions? The manual available has basically zero troubleshooting and doing a google search for "USBModem" doesn't exactly return a trivial number of results. I also could not get it to run over a USB connection either, but I might try that again.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123