Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Hello,

What apps are avail to make Podcast listening easy?

Thanks

Frank
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Use Kinoma Player EX. it has an unbelievably large index of podcasts and does whatever technical stuff that needs to be done to play the podcasts. It is a "killer" app for the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I recently purchased this, but cannot find out how to download podcasts.

Can you help?

Thanks

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by broxman View Post
    Use Kinoma Player EX. it has an unbelievably large index of podcasts and does whatever technical stuff that needs to be done to play the podcasts. It is a "killer" app for the Palm OS.
    I'll have to check that out. Are you saying Kinoma can PLAY a podcast, but can also manage them too?

Quicknews seems to be the only solution that I've found. It can read podcast feeds and then download or stream the audio (not video). I would not suggest this if you're a heavy podcast listener. I ended up giving up after a few weeks when it just couldn't match iTunes as far as Podcast management goes. I can go into depth if you'd like, but I suggest you try it out for yourself first.

EDIT:
    From Kinoma website:
    If you've found a great new podcast or stream, use Kinoma Player 4 EX to bookmark it. Then beam your favorite media bookmarks your friends. If you don't have time to listen to the entire podcast now, Kinoma Player 4 EX remembers where you left off and pick-ups from there next time. And using the new download and play feature, you can even save some streams to a memory card for playback anytime.

I want to try it out, but they don't offer a demo. I refuse to purchase their app without trying it out. Can someone post screenshots of the podcast features?
    Frank,

Quote Originally Posted by frocco View Post
    I recently purchased this, but cannot find out how to download podcasts.
    You can enter the feed URL in the Open URL dialog, create your own playlist or OPML file with links to your podcasts, or pick one of a few thousand podcasts in the Kinoma Media Guide.

You might find this blog post interesting, too: http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/10/liste...kinoma-player/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeZ View Post
    Are you saying Kinoma can PLAY a podcast, but can also manage them too?
    As far as management you can bookmark your own podcast feeds, and create your own playlist or OPML files with your favorites.

In my previous post to this thread I pointed to a blog post that shows your how to export your iTunes podcast list as OPML, which you can then use with Kinoma Player.

I want to try it out, but they don't offer a demo. I refuse to purchase their app without trying it out. Can someone post screenshots of the podcast features?
    I wish we could offer a demo, but the player includes quite a bit of licensed intellectual property that prevents us from giving away even time-constrained demo copies.

This blog post has a screenshot and more: http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/07/featu...ast-streaming/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Well, at least no one can say you're not in touch with your community. I'll check out the blog and consider using Kinoma for podcasts... Thanks
    I have been using QUICKNEWS and its terrific! i can download or stream podcasts with it
    Resco Neeeews!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    mocean seems to work great also.
    I'll take a look at the blog and see if I can get this working before purchasing mocean.

Frank
    Regarding Kinoma: Maybe I'm missing something, but I upgraded. And I'm not impressed. Just about everything I've tried to link to has returned a 404 error (not found). So bookmarks or whatever you want to call them are definitely out of date.

I'm sorry I paid to upgrade. I'll be happy to update here if that changes, but so far, not impressed. The upgrade was for more content and the content isn't available.

ETA: Oh, and forgot to mention the cluster it was trying to get the darn software on my phone! Got the little confirmation message after they took my credit card info., but there was no where to download the app at all. It gave me all the instructions on what to do when it finished downloading, but no where to get it. I had to use their "self help" to get the darn software. I was not happy after that little exercise.

ETA on 11/7: Kinoma has now upgraded the software and you can search the regular youtube sight for videos through Kinoma. This functionality is great since before Kinoma's upgrade, the only way you could watch a regular video on youtube was if you had the exact url. If you try to go to youtube through Blazer it forces you to the mobile version of youtube which has very limited content. So Kinoma is making me happier.
    Last edited by French; 11/06/2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    ETA: Oh, and forgot to mention the cluster it was trying to get the darn software on my phone! Got the little confirmation message after they took my credit card info., but there was no where to download the app at all. It gave me all the instructions on what to do when it finished downloading, but no where to get it. I had to use their "self help" to get the darn software. I was not happy after that little exercise.
    I also had this problem, I waited about an hour and then went to their "lost registration" page to resend the download link.
    Just about everything I've tried to link to has returned a 404 error (not found).
    We know that most of the items in the Kinoma Media Guide are valid at any given time.

However, there are tens of thousands of content items in the guide -- sometimes links are temporarily unavailable, sometimes they move to different URLs, and sometimes they just go away. If folks let us know at content at kinoma.com, we'll take care of any problems ASAP.

If you're having problems with most links, then your carrier may be having problems with their data network, one of the internet gateways that service you, etc. Normally, those problems get resolved within a few hours.

Got the little confirmation message after they took my credit card info., but there was no where to download the app at all. It gave me all the instructions on what to do when it finished downloading, but no where to get it.
    Could you please forward that message to me at my first name at kinoma.com? If you bought it directly from us, I can investigate why it didn't include the link. If you bought it from somebody else, I'll work with them to fix the problem. A confusing transaction doesn't help anybody.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I also had this problem...
    Could you please forward your original message to my first name at kinoma.com as well? (Thanks!)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Thanks for forwarding that note, BladeZ!

We believe we've found the fixed the problem that both you and French ran into.

If anybody else has had problems, just email our support folks and they'll take care of you.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Well, at least no one can say you're not in touch with your community. I'll check out the blog and consider using Kinoma for podcasts... Thanks

Just want to share my podcast experience. I am also a heavy podcast user and came from QNews. With QNews, I had maybe 10-15 podcast every week. I set it to auto download every night at 3am. It was working OK, for a year or so, until QuickNews KILLED MY 700P, literally.

I woke up one day and the phone was red hot. I saw it got stuck at the QuickNews download screen. I did a soft reset. The phone came back but it would randomly go into reset ever since then. Hard reset didn't fix the problem so Sprint had to replace it.

Later I got an iPhone and I moved my audio/video podcast habby completely over. I got to say its so much easier on the iPhone. I can easily subscribe to a new feed; I have more space to store the shows; they get delete automatically following the precise rule of the smart playlist; and finally I can easily watch video podcast for crying out loud.

Sure I can't get the podcast as soon as possible but I still have the freedom to do it with my Treo if I so choose. This is the beauty of a complete intergrated software/hardware solution.
    I use Resco Neews! to download podcasts to the memory card overnight the day they come out. I can play them within Resco Neews with its own player or from the card with Pocket Tunes. I like Neews a lot because it offers some neat features.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Thanks for forwarding that note, BladeZ!

We believe we've found the fixed the problem that both you and French ran into.

If anybody else has had problems, just email our support folks and they'll take care of you.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Nice customer service. I am really liking Kinoma, especially with Orb.
    Is anyone actually using Mocean for podcasts? I'm wondering how it handles it. Seems to be that all of these apps are great at playing podcasts, but the problem is with Podcast management. I'd love to see a chart comparing podcast features between Kinoma, Resco, MoCean and Quicknews. As far as i know, NONE of them can match a simple ipod/itunes combination. This is the ONLY reason I keep my nano around, then I switch over to the Centro for everything else. Such a shame...
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    I use Resco Neews! to download podcasts to the memory card overnight the day they come out. I can play them within Resco Neews with its own player or from the card with Pocket Tunes. I like Neews a lot because it offers some neat features.
    I downloaded the demo yesterday and set some podcasts to download overnight. Everything worked perfect! It also downloaded postcasts very fast. (I have a 700p) Quick News would take forever to download and would just stop in mid download. Like the other poster mentioned this can lockup the phone and cause it to get very hot.

So far I am very happy with Neews and plan to fill up my 2GB SD card shortly!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast