1. JWB
    I have been using a Treo 700p (VZN) with Win XP Pro and Palm desktop (not Outlook) for awhile. I recently purchased a new Dell running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. New machine has never had any prior versions of Palm loaded, and nothing was transferred from old computer to new. Anti-virus software disabled. Windows Defender off. All other applications closed. Downloaded and extracted the 6.2 beta. When I "install as administrator" (or any other user) it begins to install, all the way up to "configuring registry," and then inexplicably states "installation interrupted" and "rolling back." Before trying again, I search for and delete anything having to do with "Palm" that may have been placed by the aborted install, and even run a utility to make sure the registry is clean of any Palm entries that the aborted install may have inserted. But the Palm install wizard always says "interrupted" and "rolling back." There is nothing Palm listed in Control Panel "uninstall programs" to uninstall. Palm FAQs and knowledge base provide no clues whatsoever. I have repeatedly downloaded the 6.2 in case the initial download was corrupted. How may I install this software?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I have been using a Treo 700p (VZN) with Win XP Pro and Palm desktop (not Outlook) for awhile. I recently purchased a new Dell running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. New machine has never had any prior versions of Palm loaded, and nothing was transferred from old computer to new. Anti-virus software disabled. Windows Defender off. All other applications closed. Downloaded and extracted the 6.2 beta. When I "install as administrator" (or any other user) it begins to install, all the way up to "configuring registry," and then inexplicably states "installation interrupted" and "rolling back." Before trying again, I search for and delete anything having to do with "Palm" that may have been placed by the aborted install, and even run a utility to make sure the registry is clean of any Palm entries that the aborted install may have inserted. But the Palm install wizard always says "interrupted" and "rolling back." There is nothing Palm listed in Control Panel "uninstall programs" to uninstall. Palm FAQs and knowledge base provide no clues whatsoever. I have repeatedly downloaded the 6.2 in case the initial download was corrupted. How may I install this software?
    To troubleshoot your issue you'll need to execute the MSI installation from a command line and include an installation log file option. Then you can peruse the log file and get a better idea of why it's failing. Here's the command line you can use:

Msiexec /i "packagename.msi" /l*v install.log

Install the product using the .msi specified and produce a log file called install.log, containing all information in verbose format.
  3. JWB
    I am anxious to try this, but the beta downloads as a setup.exe file. How do I extract the *.msi file in order to run it from a command line.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion, which seems like it can get right to discovering the problem once I understand how to run it.
    I too am having the roll back problem, but don't undertstand how to troubleshoot it. step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I am encountering this problem as well. I have tried everything I can think of. At this point any suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Did you disable the virus scanning software? I had the same problem until one day another person mentioned disabling the virus scanning software and gosh, it installed without a hitch.

Ben
    One item - you just gotta uninstall the previous desktop.

Ben
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    After much frustration, I went so far as to completely uninstall my anti-virus software. No luck.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I am anxious to try this, but the beta downloads as a setup.exe file. How do I extract the *.msi file in order to run it from a command line.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion, which seems like it can get right to discovering the problem once I understand how to run it.
    The file I downloaded was definitely an MSI. (PalmVistaInstaller.MSI).
    It downloaded as an .exe file for me.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html