1.    #1  
    I just bought a cable to connect my Visor and my cellphone, and am now accessing the web wirelessly, using avantgo. However, it's occurred to me that with avantgo, I can still only access the channels I've subscribed to already. Is there a way for me to go to web pages on the fly with avantgo, without having first channelized it?

If not, are there other web browsers that simply let me stick in a URL and go straight to that page? Or do all PDA-based web browsers work on this pre-subscribed channel concept like avantgo?

thanks!
    Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
    I just bought a cable to connect my Visor and my cellphone, and am now accessing the web wirelessly, using avantgo. However, it's occurred to me that with avantgo, I can still only access the channels I've subscribed to already. Is there a way for me to go to web pages on the fly with avantgo, without having first channelized it?

If not, are there other web browsers that simply let me stick in a URL and go straight to that page? Or do all PDA-based web browsers work on this pre-subscribed channel concept like avantgo?

thanks!
    Check out Handspring Blazer 1.1 (it is not free, however it is working great!).
    Originally posted by Joe Talmadge

thanks!

In the AvantGo app, the first choice under the Channels menu is "Open Page..."

or simply do shortcut-o.
    Last edited by dvIceT; 05/29/2001 at 05:33 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by dvIceT

In the AvantGo app, the first choice under the Channels menu is "Open Page..."

or simply do shortcut-o.
    Ah, thanks! That works great.

SpeakerCoach: how much faster is "blazer" than avantgo? The big selling point on the blazer web page seems to be speed of download. Any other real advantages? Thanks!
    It render the page faster. In avantgo you need to wait until it finish downloading the page. With blazer, it will render the text and download the images last. So you can navigate the page faster using blazer. Blazer accept cookies too!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    AvantGo accepts cookies as well, and in my experinece, is faster at full page rendering than Blazer.

The real difference is that Blazer does do incremental and WAP, but that is not worth $19.99. I will stick with AvantGo.
  7.    #7  
    So far I'm happy with avantgo. One thing that bothers me is the lack of a "favorites" or "bookmarks" feature ... or is this another thing I'm somehow overlooking?

Joe
    While we're talking about "Web browsing wireless"...

Where can I find a current listing of popular sites which have been optimized for wireless PDA's? I'm interesting in finding more sites like.... mobile.theonion.com and mobile.visorcentral.com.

You know.... Visor-happy, frameless, minimal picture sites.

(OvaGirl's home away from home)
    http://www.plinkit.com has a list of good palm-friendly sites...
    Originally posted by patwoods
    http://www.plinkit.com has a list of good palm-friendly sites...
    Perfect!!! That's just what I wanted.
    Thanks PatWoods!

(OvaGirl's home away from home)
    Nobody mentioned Browse-it from http://my.intellisync.com !
    There are bookmarks, snapshots (like in Avantgo), it's cool!
    And it's free, you need to register.
    Does anyone have pointer to a wireless software comparison chart?
    1. footprint (smaller is better if there are heavy RAM requirements)
    2. browser capabilities (cookies, SSL, etc.)
    3. e-mail client types (POP3, IMAP, etc)
    4. Desktop sync
    5. SB, Smartmedia, CF, capability (what can be put on a card)

Right now I'm using Avantgo and hate how BIG it is and the way it does not release storage until you sync. I like the other features and the cost . I am also still using the 1.1 beta of Blazer and it is pretty nice but -- like Avantgo -- it takes up a lot of space. Other than that, it is OK and I might register it -- too bad there is no built-in e-mail support. I guess I really want a Palm Netscape or even (shudder) a Palm Internet Explorer/Outlook.

What about Eudora? Browseit? etc. etc. I really hate trying out everything out there. Will someone help a gal out?
    Eudora e-mail is great, I use it for my mail retrieval on the go. It supports things like folders, filters, multiple account. EudoraWeb is okay, its text only though. They both work together so if theres a link in an e-mail to a site, and you tap on it, it launches EudoraWeb and so on...
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com