Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The *best* solution for now (for myself), until either Google fixes some issues and/or Chatter gets updated, is this:

- Unlimited SMS
    - Chatter
    - Fastmail.fm account ("member" for 1-time fee of $14.95)

I then have Gmail forward my email to my fastmail.fm account, which then forwards an SMS to my phone via phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

Chatter is then setup to check email at fastmail.fm, but only when an SMS Trigger is sent with my fastmail.fm user name.

I send through Gmail's SMTP server, so all email comes from Gmail and is logged there.

Benefits:
    (1) HTML emails
    (2) Push
    (3) Excellent battery life, since Chatter only fetches when new email is there
    (4) Fastmail.fm is IMAP, so low bandwidth/fast checking

Complicated? A bit. Took 10 mins to set up, but now I have pushed HTML email and the best battery life you can get--even better than polling.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The *best* solution for now (for myself), until either Google fixes some issues and/or Chatter gets updated, is this:

- Unlimited SMS
    - Chatter
    - Fastmail.fm account ("member" for 1-time fee of $14.95)

I then have Gmail forward my email to my fastmail.fm account, which then forwards an SMS to my phone via phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

Chatter is then setup to check email at fastmail.fm, but only when an SMS Trigger is sent with my fastmail.fm user name.

I send through Gmail's SMTP server, so all email comes from Gmail and is logged there.

Benefits:
    (1) HTML emails
    (2) Push
    (3) Excellent battery life, since Chatter only fetches when new email is there
    (4) Fastmail.fm is IMAP, so low bandwidth/fast checking

Complicated? A bit. Took 10 mins to set up, but now I have pushed HTML email and the best battery life you can get--even better than polling.

Pretty resourceful solution. If you don't get a lot of attachments, however, it might be easier to just use Chatter with Gmail imap like normal, and then look at the attachments on your desktop computer, or head to gmail.com from the blazer browser on your Centro. So far my battery seems to be fine, and the html deal hasn't been an issue. I do think that the chatter developer should either put up a fix for this issue, or stop charging for the program.
    MisterB,

The major problem for me is that Gmail IMAP html emails don't display properly in Chatter (you end up with html codes).
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post
    MisterB,

The major problem for me is that Gmail IMAP html emails don't display properly in Chatter (you end up with html codes).
    I've yet to receive an email that doesn't look completely normal. How would I go about receiving an html email like you listed? Like I say, multiple emails from multiple different people, and everything looks normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I've yet to receive an email that doesn't look completely normal. How would I go about receiving an html email like you listed? Like I say, multiple emails from multiple different people, and everything looks normal.
    HTML is definitely hosed with IMAP Gmail, hence my alternative. I had a lot of my email nearly unreadable b/c of all the visible codes.

As far as how to simulate, I think just sending an email from an account with HTML enabled will do it--obviously the more graphics and coding, the worse.

6. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Also, attachments are just dropped by Chatter (when using Gmail IMAP). So for now, I'm sticking to forwarding it to fastmail.fm
    malatesta that is exactly the method I use. no need to waiste battery for "true" push. wth is the difference between that & just having chatter have it check via sms trigger?
    Just set it to QSync every X minutes under the Deliver tab, what's the big deal?

Set it to go offline after a sync.

If you have unlimited SMS, just forward your gmail to Sprint and set it up for a SMS-trigger push system, save even more battery life.

Did you try reading the manual?
    The big deal is that there's not an option to QSync every X minutes under the Deliver tab ... either that or I'm pretty ****in blind.

Under Deliver I have:

_Sync Messages ____ Days
    _Keep Flags Synced
    _Keep Older Messages on Treo

_Use SSL _Subscribed Only
    _____ Load (250-48000 bytes)
    _Store on SD Card _Encrypted
    Don't Notify _ Ever _Background
    _ Offline
    _ SMS _____________
    _ AOL _____________

Don't see the option you say. Any other ideas? Using the newest version from http://get.chatteremail.com
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Malatesta,

I'm wondering if you could give a detailed explanation on how you use forwarding and SMS on your fastmail account. Could you also explain how you set up the trigger in chattermail to retrieve your mail. I'd love to use your system. I'm a definite newbie when it comes to the treo.
    Thanks for any help.
    Ellen
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerpa View Post
    Malatesta,

I'm wondering if you could give a detailed explanation on how you use forwarding and SMS on your fastmail account. Could you also explain how you set up the trigger in chattermail to retrieve your mail. I'd love to use your system. I'm a definite newbie when it comes to the treo.
    Thanks for any help.
    Ellen
    Sure, I can try. lol

First, for fastmail, you have to have the $14 "Member" plan as it allows forwarding, the free version does not. The $14 is just a one-time "setup" fee, then it's free again.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Gmail
    In Gmail, go to Settings --> Forwarding & POP/IMAP

-Forward a copy to your Fastmail.fm account i.e. fastmail email address
    -Keep Gmail's copy in the inbox

Further down on the same page

- Enable IMAP
    Fastmail

Now go to your fastmail.fm account, Options --> Define Rules --> Forwarding

Message with: To/CC
    That: Contains
    The Text: <your gmail address>
    Forward to: <yournumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Forward type: forward notifications only

Done/Save
    Chatter

In Chatter, set up a new account using the Fastmail template and just fill in your information.

Under the Edit Mailbox --> Deliver Tab

Offline: Check
    QSync: NO Check
    SMS: Check

In the SMS Space, put in your Fastmail email address, or even just using "@" usually works.

Under the SMTP tab, you can use Fastmail's server or just use Gmail's. I prefer using Gmails as you'll have a saved copy under your sent folder.

Server: smtp.gmail.com:465
    SSL: Must be checked!

Fill in your Gmail login information and return address.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

That should be it...

A note on performance: this isn't as fast as true push, but I found I get most emails within 10 minutes of being sent, depending on how Sprint's SMS system is working. Plus it takes a few moments for Chatter to do it's thing.

Hope it works and I didn't miss anything.

-mal

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Your directions look easy to follow. I'll give it a try.

Ellen
    What about my deal, Mal? I don't see the QSync every XX minutes anywhere
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Hey Mal,

I was wondering if it would be possible to set this up using versamail? I didn't realize how expensive chattermail is. I tried setting it up with versamail and I can get the incoming mail but can't seem to send out using the gmail server. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also have Iambic mail but haven't tried that yet.
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerpa View Post
    Hey Mal,

I was wondering if it would be possible to set this up using versamail? I didn't realize how expensive chattermail is. I tried setting it up with versamail and I can get the incoming mail but can't seem to send out using the gmail server. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also have Iambic mail but haven't tried that yet.
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    Kind of. I'm hearing mixed results with using Gmail IMAP on Versa, with some saying they are not getting attachments, etc.

But you'll have to set it up to auto-sync every X minutes as there is no SMS Trigger to check for email--AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $Chatter$ $has$ $that$ $feature$.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    What about my deal, Mal? I don't see the QSync every XX minutes anywhere
    Check "Offline" down at the bottom of the "Deliver" tab. When you check that, the QSync option will appear next to it.

But you'll have to set it up to auto-sync every X minutes as there is no SMS Trigger to check for email--AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $only$ $Chatter$ $has$ $that$ $feature$.

Check "Offline" down at the bottom of the "Deliver" tab. When you check that, the QSync option will appear next to it.
    Awesome, thanks ... guess I'm just f'in blind dude. Here's to hoping they fix the email somehow.

Mal,

What was your reasoning for going with fastmail? Why not just forward to the sprint email and get a SMS that way? Cheaper isn't it? Or did you want to sync with fastmail because it handles the HTML better than gmail? Just curious. I think I am going to do the Gmail -> Sprint and get SMS notified, so chatter will know when to check. Sounds like a better option for battery life.

Slim
    I haven't heard anyone talk about Agendus Mail. Can that be configured to handle IMAP/"push" email with a low battery drain? I'm a newbie too, so if I'm asking a stupid question, please forgive me.

Stu
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I'm still a little lost about the Gmail IMAP stuff since I'm a treo user from day one I set up gmail to forward all email to my mail2web acct (exchange) and use versamail exchange settings.
    Gmail offer enough storage where I don't have to delete anything and search for when I need something. Only downside I've seen when I reply to email it shows my mail2web acct but no big deal to me and I see get my push and sync for calendar and contacts
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I'm still a little lost about the Gmail IMAP stuff since I'm a treo user from day one I set up gmail to forward all email to my mail2web acct (exchange) and use versamail exchange settings.
    Gmail offer enough storage where I don't have to delete anything and search for when I need something. Only downside I've seen when I reply to email it shows my mail2web acct but no big deal to me and I see get my push and sync for calendar and contacts

Yeah, but did you notice that when you first set up mail2web, that it removed all your previous appointments, except for recurring calendar events? Not good. You're also giving complete and full control to some relatively unknown third party to your critical data. Their services could have a glitch and erase all of your contacts and calendar events. They could also just close up shop in the middle of the night. No thanks. I want more control than this over such important information.
    Very cool. Even without the HTML emails and attachment issues, I still may buy chattermail for this.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast