Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I downloaded the latest ChatterMail on my 650. I owned this program for a few years now but stopped using it because it kept rebooting my Treo. The new version did the same thing. My Treo reboots every 5 minutes with Chatter running. HTML for GMail doesn't work in it either.

I have been seriously considering the Centro for myself and my wife, but now I have a second thought. To me a good email program is really important, and it looks like I won't get that with the Centro. Getting the Centro would mean being stuck with Sprint for another 2 years.

Initially, I was not going to upgrade any time soon because I was considering the next generation IPhone. When the Centro came out I thought I would get it while waiting since it does every my 650 does, in a smaller form factor and a bit faster. It would still be a tough call because that would mean no changes for the next 2 years during which the technology of the 650 repackaged in the Centro while was the bleeding edge in 2004 would be quite dated in 2009. But adding to that the factor of not having a good IMAP email client for the next 2 years is a big deal. Perhaps Google/Palm will work out the issue to provide VersaMail support in the future, but until that happen, I probably just watch on the side line.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post
    I downloaded the latest ChatterMail on my 650. I owned this program for a few years now but stopped using it because it kept rebooting my Treo. The new version did the same thing. My Treo reboots every 5 minutes with Chatter running. HTML for GMail doesn't work in it either.

I have been seriously considering the Centro for myself and my wife, but now I have a second thought. To me a good email program is really important, and it looks like I won't get that with the Centro. Getting the Centro would mean being stuck with Sprint for another 2 years.

Initially, I was not going to upgrade any time soon because I was considering the next generation IPhone. When the Centro came out I thought I would get it while waiting since it does every my 650 does, in a smaller form factor and a bit faster. It would still be a tough call because that would mean no changes for the next 2 years during which the technology of the 650 repackaged in the Centro while was the bleeding edge in 2004 would be quite dated in 2009. But adding to that the factor of not having a good IMAP email client for the next 2 years is a big deal. Perhaps Google/Palm will work out the issue to provide VersaMail support in the future, but until that happen, I probably just watch on the side line.
    Chatter is the best push e-mail program on any mobile platform minus GoodLink IMHO. I don't have issues with resets on my Treo 700P. It works like a champ.

I would give it a shot again with the Centro. Since the Centro is pretty much a 755P you shouldn't have problems. Take the plunge!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Chatter is the best push e-mail program on any mobile platform minus GoodLink IMHO. I don't have issues with resets on my Treo 700P. It works like a champ.

I would give it a shot again with the Centro. Since the Centro is pretty much a 755P you shouldn't have problems. Take the plunge!
    I suspect that the crashing issue is my 650 specific because no one else report the problem, so the Centro will fix that.

However, not being able to read HTML email (and attachment) is a deal breaker for me. Since Chatter is no longer developed according to Marc, I don't know how likely it will be fixed.
    I had to switch back to pop because most of the email that I got wasn't there. Just headers.

booo.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post
    However, not being able to read HTML email (and attachment) is a deal breaker for me. Since Chatter is no longer developed according to Marc, I don't know how likely it will be fixed.
    Chatter does IMAP and IMAP Idle just fine, has for a long time, there's just something fluky about Gmail.

But why not just forward your Gmail to another address instead? I've had mine forwarded to my exchange account, still HTML. Or everyone's been using fastmail.fm for years...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Any configuration for Snappermail?

I don't see IMAP option under 'server', so assume I set
    POP to: imap.gmail.com
    and
    SMPT to: smtp.gmail.com

Correct?

If someone could give me the settings to configure this, would surely appreciate it.
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    Any configuration for Snappermail?

I don't see IMAP option under 'server', so assume I set
    POP to: imap.gmail.com
    and
    SMPT to: smtp.gmail.com

Correct?

If someone could give me the settings to configure this, would surely appreciate it.
    First you need Snappermail Enterprise version. Then when you create a new account it will ask pop or imap.
    Thanks rickstreo,

thought their website said premier (which I have) or Enterprise.

Thanks for the correction.
    RJuhl
    I don't know if anyone else has seen this as yet, but I found this pretty helpful:

gmail IMAP behavior chart.

I have about 10 labels in my gmail. I have no plans on syncing with all of them, though. I may change my mind the more I use it. If I do use it, I won't sync all the email, that would take forever. I did read where if you want to just archive a message without a specific label, you move it to the gmail\all mail folder, which you have to enable, of course. I only enable the last few days worth of messages.

edit: BTW, I have read where there are some problems with attachments using chatter. I am trying out Snappermail Enterprise and I am having no problems with receiving or sending attachments.
    Last edited by rickstreo; 10/26/2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has seen this as yet, but I found this pretty helpful:

I have about 10 labels in my gmail. I have no plans on syncing with all of them, though. I may change my mind the more I use it. If I do use it, I won't sync all the email, that would take forever. I did read where if you want to just archive a message without a specific label, you move it to the gmail\all mail folder, which you have to enable, of course. I only enable the last few days worth of messages.

edit: BTW, I have read where there are some problems with attachments using chatter. I am trying out Snappermail Enterprise and I am having no problems with receiving or sending attachments.
    Is it giving you full push capabilities? If so, what did you do to get it to work?
    Ok, this thing is draining the HELL out of my battery, it's consistantly checking. Where can I modify this at, without making my mailbox go offline?
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    Ok, this thing is draining the HELL out of my battery, it's consistantly checking. Where can I modify this at, without making my mailbox go offline?

Are you talking about snappermail or chatter?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post

I just did some testing and research on Snappermail, and while it appears to be a slick little program, I see absolutely NO support for push email. If that's the case, it loses some major points. Too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I just did some testing and research on Snappermail, and while it appears to be a slick little program, I see absolutely NO support for push email. If that's the case, it loses some major points. Too bad.
    It seems that you have to have the 'Enterprise' edition to get IMAP

RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    It seems that you have to have the 'Enterprise' edition to get IMAP

I know, but the trial version is basically the Enterprise edition that is set to expire in 30 days. Even so, it still doesn't give you push capabilities. Lame...
    I'm using Chatteremail - I can't find an option to schedule checks ... ugh. I have it on sleep mode from 12:01am to 12:00am now. Blah
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

See, I'm not all that interested in true push email. So Snapper is fine for me. To each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    So, it won't do push with the enterprise edition? I was under the impression that it would.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    I'm using Chatteremail - I can't find an option to schedule checks ... ugh. I have it on sleep mode from 12:01am to 12:00am now. Blah
    Just set it to QSync every X minutes under the Deliver tab, what's the big deal?

Set it to go offline after a sync.

If you have unlimited SMS, just forward your gmail to Sprint and set it up for a SMS-trigger push system, save even more battery life.

Did you try reading the manual?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    So, it won't do push with the enterprise edition? I was under the impression that it would.
    I was testing the evaluation version, which Snappermail claimed has full functionality for 30 days, but it wouldn't do push emailing. Maybe somebody else can figure it out, but I sure couldn't get it to do anything besides a sync every 5 minutes, which imho would use way more battery than push since it would be going out and checking for mail whether there was new mail or not.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast