1.    #1  
    Yeah, I'll admit it, the battery is great. I was trained well on my 680 and was expecting the worst but I can get 2 days out of my Centro if I had to. Here's what I did and my results.

IR Beam Receive Off (Common knowledge already)

Backlight at the lowest setting tolerable, maybe one or two clicks up from off. Unless you're in direct sunlight all the time, this is all you need.

NO Versa/Chatter/SprintMail autochecking. This is what kills most batteries. These aren't blackberries and the constant EVDO connections eat batteries. My advice? Take your primary email account and set up an autoforward (forward and keep, not forward and forget) to your Sprint TXT address (ph#@messaging.sprintpcs.com). If you get an email you care about, then go check your email, if not, then let the txt messages be. I sync up my chatter a few times a day at most.

Bluetooth - I left mine ON, but you could shut it off and make invisible for even more life.

Sprint IM - Not connected. Still has the lag bug anyway.

Sprint OnDemand - Love this app, I have it updating twice a day.

So, anyway, after all is said and done I was down to 70% battery from 7AM to 7PM. Only 30% gone in 12 hours. If BT had been off, I'm sure I would have had another 10%.

My phone usage is heavy texting, moderate data usage for lunch and commute (1 hr or so surfing) and light voice calls (under 20 min).
    Yes, I am on a 650 with light usage and with Chatter I have to recharge daily, and without Chatter I can go for at least 4 days between charges.
    Palm says to charge daily. Not to let it run all the way down.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm says to charge daily. Not to let it run all the way down.
    Why?
    I have had my 650 since it came out, and I don't charge it daily. The battery seemed as good as when it was new. At this rate I will replace the device before the battery gives up. What possible benefit could I have gained from charging it daily?
    Why? i don't know why..lol It's what they say to do. Charge it often as you can..don't let it drain all the way to optimize battery life..
  6.    #6  
    Why? i don't know why..lol It's what they say to do. Charge it often as you can..don't let it drain all the way to optimize battery life..
    This doesn't seem to make sense to me, I would think the opposite were true. I let it run down to 0% occasionally just to show it who's boss. The next week or so it performs like a champ.
    By the way, I was critical of what Palm said, not the messenger which was cardfan. My apology if it was misunderstood.
    The battery is designed to be maximized by being consistantly topped off rather than ran to the 0% all the time. Compared to other types of batteries used in non-smartphone mobiles, this method prolongs the use of the battery. However, doing a full discharge every once in a while is said to help the battery as well.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    ..don't let it drain all the way to optimize battery life..
    That is the correct MO for lithium batteries... do not drain them down to zero. That is very different than older NiCd and NiMH batteries which *should* be drained to near zero every now and then... there are a lot of places that are regurgitating false information on battery charging procedures based on the old NiCd practices even though they are talking about lithium batteries.
    The 650 uses a Li-ion battery. From what I have read, the best way to charge a battery depends on what type of battery it is and the type of charger one uses. NiCad batteries suffer from memory effect if frequently charge before depleted. NiMH and Li-ion don't suffer from memory effect. Li-ion tends to have a smaller max number of discharge/recharge cycles than NiMH.

One could argue that reducing the number of recharge on a Li-ion would prolong the life of the battery. Or perhaps a top-up when the battery is only 30% discharge uses only 1/3 a charge cycle.

Any how, life's too short for me to try to top up my battery daily. I charge my phone when I remember and when the battery is low, typically once every 3 or 4 days. So far after 3 years the battery seems to hold as much charge as when it was new. I don't see any reason to change my charging habit.
    I hate having a dead phone. I'm just used to throwing it on the charger at work or at home at night. Actually i was surprised to read that palm wants you to charge it to death.

Usually you read the opposite.
    Also with lithium batteries, they have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (often around 500), so its best to simply keep the unit plugged in when not in use. Otherwise, you're shortening the life of your battery.

So do I do always have mine plugged in (charging) when not in use? No. But then again, I don't have a phone with a non-replaceable battery (think iPhone). Har har har.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Also with lithium batteries, they have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (often around 500), so its best to simply keep the unit plugged in when not in use. Otherwise, you're shortening the life of your battery.

I had a couple of old laptops with Li-ion battery and most of the time they were plugged in when used. After a couple of years their batteries would last less than an hour compared to 2-3 hours when new. A friend of mine who wasn't computer savvy had the same problem with her. I suggested that she remove the battery when she had the laptop at her desk (most of the time). It seemed to prolong the life of the battery. My theory was that these laptops were being charged constantly when plugged in and turned on.

So, if the Treo charging circuit behaves the same way, keeping it plugged in most of the time when in use would be a bad thing.
    Never knew that about the forwarding emails to the text message address...thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung View Post
    So, if the Treo charging circuit behaves the same way, keeping it plugged in most of the time when in use would be a bad thing.
    That is also correct. Lithium batteries do not tolerate "trickle charging", again unlike NiCd and NiiMH batteries. So a device's charging circuit has to completely shut off the charging current once the lithium battery is full, otherwise it will begin to damage the battery. Unfortunately I believe that some charging circuits aren't doing the right thing (including, in my experience, in some laptops). Therefore I agree that the best policy is to try not to drain the lithium battery completely, charge the battery only when needed and remove the battery from the charger when it is fully charged, just in case that particular charger isn't quite designed correctly.

I have some lithium batteries that are still going strong after 10 years of service, and some phone batteries going for more than 4 years.
    I've heard of the issues of trickle charging being a bad thing for lithium batteries, but the real question are:
    - how detrimental is this to today's batteries?
    - how many devices today really don't have properly designed charging circuits that by there very design, damage batteries when left plugged in?

I would suspect it's a minor issue today. Otherwise, with the sheer number of people who leave their phones plugged in every night, all night long, I could see the manufacturer being left open to class action lawsuits with people's batteries failing after a short time period (my opinion).
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    didn't feel like starting a new thread, but anyone notice the usb cable charges without the charger cord? Or was that common knowledge, and I just missed that?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    A full discharge once in a while will also help the battery fuel gauge calibrate itself. One of the hardest factors to estimate with Li ion batteries is loss of capacity due to aging. The best algorithms use the full charge and discharge points to calibrate themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    didn't feel like starting a new thread, but anyone notice the usb cable charges without the charger cord? Or was that common knowledge, and I just missed that?

Does so on the 700p as well.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover