Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I spent yesterday with Gmail and ChatterEmail active and noticed no substantial difference in drain. I have noticed on the lap top that attachment downloading and running is via the IMAP site means two pps files are not loading properly. When pulled via the GMail POP function, the pps files open properly. Of the services, ChatterEmail and FastMail work better/faster than GMail.

Ben
    I set up IMAP for Gmail within Sprint Mobile Email by using "other IMAP account" and it seems to be working pretty well so far.. the only thing is when I delete emails from my phone it deletes them completely from my gmail.. doesn't just move them to trash..
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    ..........When pulled via the GMail POP function, the pps files open properly. Of the services, ChatterEmail and FastMail work better/faster than GMail.
    Ben
    I agree, I have been using Gmail-->Fastmail IMAP-->Chatter method for a year with acceptable battery life. When I added Gmail IMAP the battery is dropping about %10 per hour !! When you add the HTML problem and the no attachements... I am going back to Fastmail
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Can you reply from your gmail address with fastmail?
    Quote Originally Posted by evandena View Post
    Can you reply from your gmail address with fastmail?
    You can set up a "personality" in FastMail so it appears that messages you send with that personality are coming from Gmail. If you add your Gmail address as a Bcc, you'll then have a copy on Gmail. I use Chatter and FastMail so on my Treo I have a Gmail SMTP address setup within Chatter and when I use that, the messages are sent through the Gmail servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    I set up IMAP for Gmail within Sprint Mobile Email by using "other IMAP account" and it seems to be working pretty well so far.. the only thing is when I delete emails from my phone it deletes them completely from my gmail.. doesn't just move them to trash..
    Look in the All Mail folder (using a PC to access Gmail). Messages end up there when I delete them in Chatter.

Ho do I get All Mail to the Treo? Downloading all folders does not make All Mail available on in Chatter.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I use Chatter with a Fastmail account and keep my Inbox online (using efficient sync) and QSync my other mailboxes at 30-minute intervals. That has helped preserve battery life.
    What's "efficient sync"? Is that a Fastmail feature?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Anyone got Gmail to sync folders with Versamail yet?
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    What's "efficient sync"? Is that a Fastmail feature?
    No, "efficient sync" is a Chatter feature designed to cut down on some of the battery usage of Chatter by communicating only important information with the host. Here's how it works:

All of your mail is instantly delivered to your Treo, or sent from it, however, notifications back to your IMAP host (FastMail in my case) are delayed until in incoming or outgoing message action occurs. In other words, when I read a message on my Treo with efficient sync enabled, then go to FastMail on the web or in Outlook, FastMail still shows the message unread and it will remain that way until a new message goes to the Treo or I send a message from the Treo. If I'm only accessing my mail from the Treo, then that scenario is fine because everything still appears up-to-date from my point of access (the Treo). So, "efficient sync" synchronizes your mail efficiently but mail delivery and sending still happens instantly.
    How do you enable or disable efficient sync in Chatter?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I'm going to have to search for efficient sync when I get back to a full browser. I can't find it now in Chatter and I'm wondering if it was removed in the latest version release. I know it existed but since upgrading to the version that works with Gmail, I can't seem to find it. I don't know why it would've been taken away. Odd.
    Where was the setting located previously? Mailbox settings? Preferences->Connections?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Okay, here's the answer from post #5 in this thread, http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=124887. Find it under Preferences, Performance Preferences, Updates to Server - it's now called "Delayed". Whew, thought I was losing my mind there for a minute and imagining the whole thing. Marc obviously changed this a long time ago and I never noticed since I set-and-forgot it from when it was called efficient sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    It would help on all phones, but CDMA phones need the help more. "Delayed updates..." is "Efficient Sync".

Marc
    Mine is set to "Delayed" (aka Efficient Sync") by default.

After all day (12 hrs), my battery is down to 80%. Not bad at all. This is with 2 Gmail accounts and one AOL account (all 3 IMAP), one POP Roadrunner account and one Exchange Server account. I don't have much e-mail traffic, however.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I finally got the IMAP option on my account. It was very simple to set up. The battery drain is also exceptable. However,I still suffer from the html and the phantom attachments. I looked through the menus to see if you could elect to receive emails in plain text, not html. Does anyone know if this can be done, either within Chatter or Gmail? I couldn't find it.

McTreo
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    << Code changes to prepare Gmail for the future

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:20 PM

Posted by Dan Pupius, Gmail engineer

When Gmail launched in 2004, the web was a very different place: people's expectations were different, browser capabilities were less advanced, and certain terms that are now commonplace on software engineer résumés hadn't even been coined yet.

In the past three and a half years we have launched a number of cool features: deep chat integration, voice mail, Google Docs integration, and most recently, free IMAP. During this time we've learned a lot about building large web applications and what happens when you push web browsers to their limits.

So recently the Gmail team has been working on a structural code change that we'll be rolling out to Firefox 2 and IE 7 users over the coming weeks (with other browsers to follow). You won't notice too many differences to start with, but we're using a new model that enables us to iterate faster and share components (we now use the same rich text editor as Groups and Page Creator, and the Contact Manager can be seen in several Google apps). A few other things you will notice are some new keyboard shortcuts and the ability to bookmark specific messages and email searches.

We have also been fanatical about speed. Even on a fast Internet connection, it can take a second to request and render a new web page, and when you read a lot of mail, these seconds can accumulate to hours waiting for email to load. We've spent a lot of time profiling all parts of the application, shaving milliseconds off wherever we can, and figuring out workarounds for some pretty deep-rooted issues with the current browser implementations. Some of the most common actions should be faster now. For instance, we prefetch messages in the current view, so when you open an email your browser doesn't have to talk to Google's server; it just displays the message. These techniques really shine on newer browsers and computers. Using an alpha version of Safari 3 on a MacBook, we're seeing sub-200ms times when opening messages—pretty quick.

One side effect of this change is that if you're using third-party Gmail extensions, they're likely to stop working. We've contacted a number of the developers behind some popular extensions and provided them with an opportunity to create fixes, so check back with them for updates. We're sorry that it may be a bit of a inconvenience, but we're trying to make this change as smooth as possible.

The team has a bunch more things in the works, so stay tuned.>>

Emphasis added.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I've noticed a 3rd strange behavior from the Gmail IMAP to Chatter setup. Not only do I have the same HTML and attachment issues, but anytime I receive an email from a blackberry device, I see it as a bunch of jumbled letters. I find it strange msgs sent as txt-only format from a blackberry get screwed up just by going through the IMAP server - or is that a Chatter problem? Any idea if this stuff will get fixed in Chatter? Gmail thru chatter will make it worth my while to buy the chatter program.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    I know about all of these issues; unsurprisingly, they are all related (i.e. they are one problem). I'll take a look when I can and see what's involved in making it better.

Marc
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Thanks Marc - we appreciate your help.

I know about all of these issues; unsurprisingly, they are all related (i.e. they are one problem). I'll take a look when I can and see what's involved in making it better.

Marc
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts

Marc
    Thank you Marc!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast