Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    My battery consumption is not much different. However, I don't see the "push" behavior (or it takes too long to get the msg to the Treo).

Can't someone post ALL the settings (including Preferences under Pref menu) in Chatter? Please?
    I don't want to take the time to figure out how to post screen shots from my treo, but I'll try and explain the settings, as they are very simple.

Open Chatter and add a new mailbox.
    Select IMAP from the "Choose the account type..."
    Name: name of the account - ex: gmail.
    IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
    Login Name: <username>@gmail.com
    Password: *****

::eliver Tab:::
    Use SSL

:::SMTP Tab:::
    Server: smtp.gmail.com
    Login Name: <username>@gmail.com
    Password: ****
    Ret'n Addr: usually your gmail address
    Full Name:
    SSL: Checked.

Make sure you are using MatrixSSL, otherwise your mail will not push outside of Chatter.
    Where do you select to choose (or not choose) to use MatrixSSL?

The About page says MatrixSSK(tm) at the bottom. Is that an indicator that it is being used?

What are your settings in the Prefs-Preferences pages?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Where do you select to choose (or not choose) to use MatrixSSL?

The About page says MatrixSSK(tm) at the bottom. Is that an indicator that it is being used?

What are your settings in the Prefs-Preferences pages?
    At the bottom of my inbox is a letter with a lock. Tap that and it will say what you are using.

Preferences shouldn't have an affect on whether or not you are receiving push email.
    I am using MatrixSSL (although I still wonder how one would select this, or if in fact, one has a choice in using MatrixSSL).

The Performance page in Preferences has an effect on battery life. Have you played around with these?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    That's because Versamail isn't supported by GMail imap.
    Actually, it's the other way around. Or both. The P in IMAP stands for Protocol. Some people don't understand that. I had rounds and rounds with Iambic over their Agendus mail's lack of following the protocol. Some guy thinks he can learn as he goes building a mail client claiming to fully support IMAP, and then his folders don't sync. Go figure.

Give them a while, it'll all get straightened out. Until the Chatter is still the best. This new Seven might be good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by robogobo View Post
    Actually, it's the other way around. Or both.
    Does it really matter? It doesn't work and Gmail acknowledges that and even makes a point of saying it outright on their IMAP client info page. But there are still a lot of people that post on all the discussion groups that they can't get Versamail to work with GMail IMAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by enilm View Post
    I've noticed that if I check the box 'only load "unread" messages' it seems to work great without getting stuck. If I uncheck that box or if I check the box where it says 'sync messages' it seems to download certain emails to certain date, and then get stuck. I guess I'll just start from scratch without having the latest emails.
    Where did you find the option "only load unread messages?
    Laissez Faire
    I am using Chatter. for "Complete Folder Server Name" I have used "Inbox." I cannot access other folders. I have tried using the "All Mail" folder but it tells me The folder "All Mail" does not appear to exist on the server. How do I either access "all mail" or access other folders?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I am using Chatter. for "Complete Folder Server Name" I have used "Inbox." I cannot access other folders. I have tried using the "All Mail" folder but it tells me The folder "All Mail" does not appear to exist on the server. How do I either access "all mail" or access other folders?
    When I loaded the folders into Chatter, it got Inbox and a folder corresponding to the label I was using. It did not get All Mail as a folder.

Gmail has a strange implementation (with labels etc). I am still trying to figure Gmail out.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Where did you find the option "only load unread messages?
    You got to uncheck the box that says 'sync messages.' Once you do that you'll see it underneath.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    How's everyones battery holding up to IMAP + IDLE?
    Quote Originally Posted by evandena View Post
    How's everyones battery holding up to IMAP + IDLE?
    Mine is down 10% over 3.5 hrs. Only such account is Gmail, and I don't get much e-mail at that account. I am still using my ISP (POP) and work (Exchange) most of the time.

A less trafficed IMAP Gmail account has not affected my battery too much.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Push from AOL IMAP account works much better/faster than push from Gmail (in Chatter).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Mine is going down pretty fast... I'm debating whether it's worth the battery hit.
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Push from AOL IMAP account works much better/faster than push from Gmail (in Chatter).
    Yeah I've noticed that. It works much better. You can actually read the email and download attachments. I think I'm going back to POP3 for gmail and chatter until everything gets resolved. Anyways I had that POP3 setup to check my email every 30 mins. and it didn't kill the battery as quick.
    Adding AOL IMAP has increased the battery drain to 10% in 2 hrs. I guess the faster push (with AOL) comes at a price.

I wonder who controls the refresh frequency for IMAP accounts in Chatter ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Adding AOL IMAP has increased the battery drain to 10% in 2 hrs. I guess the faster push (with AOL) comes at a price.

I wonder who controls the refresh frequency for IMAP accounts in Chatter ...
    From my understanding of IMAP with IDLE, there is no real “refresh”. Chatter will issue an IDLE command to the IMAP server. This tells the server that the device is online and ready to be told of updates or messages, but the device is not actually checking the server for mail.
    What might matter is how long Gmail’s IMAP timeout is, and how often Chatter issues a NOOP command to keep everything active.

Either way, IDLE is very efficient, and I am surprised my battery drains this fast with little to no activity on my gmail account.
    I have Chatter working pretty well. A fewquestions:

What is IDLE? do I need to turn it on?

There seem to be 2 options under "delivery preferences" in the "Edit Mailbox" tab. I can check "sync mail" or "only load unread messages" What is the difference? Which uses less power? Do they both "push" messages?
    Laissez Faire
    The IMAP option has yet to be added to my Gmail account. For those who have it, and are noticing increased battery drain, is Gmail the only IMAP account you are using on your Treo? Is the complaint based on comparing battery life with just POP accounts? Also, are all of your Gmail mailboxes online or is it just the Inbox?

I use Chatter with a Fastmail account and keep my Inbox online (using efficient sync) and QSync my other mailboxes at 30-minute intervals. That has helped preserve battery life.
    i cannot make chatter and gmail work. I have chatter and my work email and two fastmail accounts working fine. i am also using 3.09.