Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    -Phone not activated, no data or phone calls (therefore no push email).
    -Good signal strength.
    -A few, popular apps, nothing running in the background that I know of.
    -IR off, BT on (not visible, not connected), phone radio on.
    -After a full charge and fresh soft reset:

I noticed that the battery went from 100% to 60% in less than five hours. The only thing that I did during this period was turn on the device a few times to check the battery drain.

This was today. Other times, the Centro's battery seems to last longer, even with use.

I started a thread in the PalmOS forum looking for a "task manager" or monitor to see what applications are running or taking CPU time. I'm curious about what is actually chewing the battery and why only during certain times.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=154801

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    It's kinda funny you mentioned this....

My Centro has been doing fine as far as I am concerned with the 1150 mAh battery for the full week I had it.

I fully charged it last night, then went bed. I woke up this morning when the phone rang.

After 7 hours with IR OFF, BT OFF, no apps running in the background (VersaMail not autosyncing) and with the phone radio ON, the Centro battery was down to 13%

I will watch this a little more.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    how do you turn IR off?
    Quote Originally Posted by slag View Post
    how do you turn IR off?
    Centro Prefs, then to Power. Beam/Receive will be right in the middle of the screen.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    thanks, dont know how i missed that. Mine is set to off.
  6.    #6  
    It's been 9 hours now. I have been away from the Centro for the past three hours. Just checked battery, it's at 35%.
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

Yesterday I ran from 1:30-10pm with the following:

- Versamail EAS once every hour
    - 4Cast every 3 hours
    - 5 SMS back and forth
    - Low signal environment (0-2 bars)
    - BT/IR off

So in about 8.5 hours I was still at 79%, which was pretty good, imo. (It later dropped to 69% when a friend played with it for 20 minutes, trying out all the apps, surfing the internet and using Slingbox--using it for those things will drain the battery pretty quickly).

Later that night I installed Power Hero and now have it:

- Close internet connection after 5 mins
    - Turn KB light off after 5 seconds
    - Turn off phone if no connection for more than 10 minutes

I also keep the screen at about 30% brightness, which I find more than enough and auto-shut off at 30 seconds.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Consideeing that the battery is 1150mah rather than the 1800mah that the Treo's come with, and the device is still doing the same amount of work as the larger ones. So, in my mind, it makes sence that the battery won't last as long.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson View Post
    Consideeing that the battery is 1150mah rather than the 1800mah that the Treo's come with, and the device is still doing the same amount of work as the larger ones. So, in my mind, it makes sence that the battery won't last as long.
    You are missing the point. All other conditions apparently equal, the device sometimes lasts for two days with little to no use, while other days it only lasts for 16 hours.

Yes this appears to be a problem with this phone. So much so with my first centro that I had to send it back.
    I wonder if it is just the battery monitor that is wacked. In other words, maybe the battery still has plenty of juice, but the monitor is telling you that it is low. I suppose you wouldn't know for sure unless you just kept running it to see if it would eventually turn itself off from a dead battery.

You may also try removing the battery, and putting it back in so the device resets. Could get the monitor back to normal.
    I experienced the same thing. However, mine did seem to get a little better when I turned off the autopush from the Sprint Mail.
    This isn't just a Centro thing. Check the Treo 755p threads. It has happened to me on a few occasions and when it does it if very disconcerting. Because it only happens occasionally, I believe it is related to a software issue. I've noticed sometimes Sprint will do stuff on the network and push things to the phone and I wonder if that can cause the problem. I haven't seen it occur since it happened several times within the first month of owning the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmugrad04 View Post
    I experienced the same thing. However, mine did seem to get a little better when I turned off the autopush from the Sprint Mail.
    gmugrad04, is autosync and autopush the same thing?
  15.    #15  
    Or maybe the battery is not being fully charged... I noticed last night that the battery went from 10% to 100% very quickly.

Perhaps something is keeping the device from going into "deep sleep"? I've read about this power conserving state but not sure how one would be able to tell.

16.    #16  
    Go figure--today, the battery is acting like a champ. It's been one hour with a few screen-ons, and only down by 2%. I now even have battery logging software running. No difference from yesterday whatsoever. No new apps, same location, same coverage. What the...

I found out what was sucking 12% per hour out of my battery. (see first reply)

It was ServiceLED. This little app only turns the signal LED on. I have used it on my 700p for a very long time. It sucks the batt juice on a Centro.

Now my Centro uses only 2% in 6 hours with the phone radio on and ServiceLED disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    Go figure--today, the battery is acting like a champ. It's been one hour with a few screen-ons, and only down by 2%. I now even have battery logging software running. No difference from yesterday whatsoever. No new apps, same location, same coverage. What the...
    That's great! Sometimes my 755p would do the same. One day it would be draining then the next it would last for so long. Hey I wanted to ask you if you tried PowerMan or CallRec to bring back the led for alerts? It was mentioned on su from a couple people but I wanted to make sure. I don't have my centro yet so I can't test it. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail today.
    diane
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    It's been 9 hours now. I have been away from the Centro for the past three hours. Just checked battery, it's at 35%.
    Today, same use, same conditions (very little use), 9 hours--the battery is at 90%. What the heck!

I haven't tested PowerMan myself. I'm having number porting issues so the Centro is not yet activated (either one!). I have read that it does work somewhat. I will know in a couple of days I hope.

CallRec does light up the LED when recording, mVoice does not work at all. The only issue with CallRec is that it does not capture caller ID if the call recording is started manually.

CallRec is great. I try not to tell too many people though about it..creeps em out..lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast