Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi guys I just got this phone. I fully charged it overnight, then during lunch i noticed the battery at like 50%. So I turned off auto-sync (BT, IR was already off) bc i don't really check email on treo that much. I thought this would fix the problem.

So I fully charged it at work yesterday and barely used it for the rest of the day. I wake up this morning with the low battery beep. By the time I got to work it was completely off.

Is this a problem or should I give it a week? Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkimcpa View Post
    Hi guys I just got this phone. I fully charged it overnight, then during lunch i noticed the battery at like 50%. So I turned off auto-sync (BT, IR was already off) bc i don't really check email on treo that much. I thought this would fix the problem.

So I fully charged it at work yesterday and barely used it for the rest of the day. I wake up this morning with the low battery beep. By the time I got to work it was completely off.

Is this a problem or should I give it a week? Thanks guys.
    A thread like this almost always pops up with every 3g/EvDO phone and usually I think the culprit is an active data connection, which for one reason or the other is sort of stuck in a constant-ping with the network (my Moto Q always got caught in a roaming or analog mode, sometimes with data staying active--or trying to).

One solution is if you notice the happening, use one of those free soft-reset .prc files and just reboot the device--that'll reset the radio stack and it should be better.

The other solution is to use some type of power management software, like Hobbyist's PowerHero, which you can set to shut down your data connection after X mins automatically.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    A thread like this almost always pops up with every 3g/EvDO phone and usually I think the culprit is an active data connection, which for one reason or the other is sort of stuck in a constant-ping with the network (my Moto Q always got caught in a roaming or analog mode, sometimes with data staying active--or trying to).

One solution is if you notice the happening, use one of those free soft-reset .prc files and just reboot the device--that'll reset the radio stack and it should be better.

The other solution is to use some type of power management software, like Hobbyist's PowerHero, which you can set to shut down your data connection after X mins automatically.
    I'm definitely sure it's not evdo (aka powervision) being on because I did not use email or web once yesterday and the battery drained to 50% from me leaving work fully charged to bed time.

What is a name of a free soft-reset .prc file I can use? Any other suggestions besides powerhero?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkimcpa View Post
    I'm definitely sure it's not evdo (aka powervision) being on because I did not use email or web once yesterday and the battery drained to 50% from me leaving work fully charged to bed time.

What is a name of a free soft-reset .prc file I can use? Any other suggestions besides powerhero?
    Soft Reset:
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Downloads/Reset.prc

Some people have tried PowerMan with success.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

I just ran into this same problem. Just this morning, with only about 20 min of online usage, I am at 32% now. I already tried reset and it is not doing much. It is about 1% every 5 or so minutes.

I did not add new program yesterday and the only thing I did today was I tried to turn on the GPS thing and then I turned it off. I wonder if that's not really off and it is sucking power.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I did have the rapid discharge happen the first of the week. I was in my office, got ready to leave, looked at the battery and it was at 75%. When I got home about 15 minutes later, it was at 40%. I reset and all was fine. It hasn't happened since. I do use EAS and have a pop account setup. I wasn't doing any web use at the time. The Centro was on the phone app and in my pocket when it discharged.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Well, I had to shut the phone connection to stop the battery drain. After I got home and turned it back on, everything seems ok now. I did not even do another reset. Strange. I am going to keep a close eye on it.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i got my first battery drain today. i charged it via usb sync cable last night and took it of charge around 3am. just turned it on now around 1:30pm and got the message "Extremely low battery, please charge" weird. first time it happened. no other warnings. this is not good specially if it happens while you away from your charger.

alex
    you do not have to be using the net or checking email for your phone to keep a data connection open. as long as those little arrows are on your phone screen up near the signal bars, your phone has an open connection. when it is green it is active. your phone could go into active connection without you doing anything. this is a major culprit for battery drain. get the free app called "treohelper." it will disconnect internet after xx minutes. this will save a ton of battery. keep in mind once you sign into the Sprint instant messaging app, it keeps an open connection at all times even when you are not in the app. hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    it looks like there might be an issue with some sort of leakage

connection has to go into non active mode which takes up less energy then active mode. in case of centro this probably doesn't happen and causes battery drain, which is a problem. i don't use sprint's IM program. but i do have versa mail setup with activestink connection and check my yahoo account every hour. never had this problem until today.

alex
    Bit off topic, but I've had some funky battery stuff as well. Twice now, when using Sudoko or leaving treo in Suduko mode, the centro shut itself down in a low battery state and then would not respond to power on button. I found that as soon as I plugged it in, the batter registered 40 some percent. So, the battery wasn't dead, but something was telling the Centro that it was...very curious in deed.

I'm wondering if it is some registration of battery level with the software that is causing some of this.
    Anyone know how long the battery should take to fully charge from a dead battery? I figure if its not dead it would be less. I think mine was about 2 hours? I was surprised, either its a really small battery or a fast charger.
    My battery runs down in literally in 2 -3 hours. I have to have a charger in the car, in the office, at home, everywhere I go.

I thought this was a Chatter issue, but it now seems Palm and Chatter should try work this out together.

Make no mistake and do not mis-understand me. Chatter is an AWESOME program. Real push and IMAP perfection. It has been suggested, that I sync only every 15 or 30 minutes. RIDICULOUS. What is the whole idea about PUSH technology then. So be it. Become "paranoid" and have a charger ready wherever you go. VERSAMAIL is a USELESS AND PATHETIC program. It never worked on my 650 and neither on my 650. Riddled with issues. Palm used to advise me to "delete" my accounts daily. What absolute CRAP, like I'm going to delete my accounts daily and then re-enter and open new accounts. WHAT BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post
    My battery runs down in literally in 2 -3 hours. I have to have a charger in the car, in the office, at home, everywhere I go.

I thought this was a Chatter issue, but it now seems Palm and Chatter should try work this out together.

Make no mistake and do not mis-understand me. Chatter is an AWESOME program. Real push and IMAP perfection. It has been suggested, that I sync only every 15 or 30 minutes. RIDICULOUS. What is the whole idea about PUSH technology then. So be it. Become "paranoid" and have a charger ready wherever you go. VERSAMAIL is a USELESS AND PATHETIC program. It never worked on my 650 and neither on my 650. Riddled with issues. Palm used to advise me to "delete" my accounts daily. What absolute CRAP, like I'm going to delete my accounts daily and then re-enter and open new accounts. WHAT BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow...I hope Santa brings you a new attitude for Christmas. Your current one stinks. Nasty much? It's well known that using push mail drains the battery quickly. If you insist on having your email program constantly polled, expect your battery to not last long. If Seidio every gets around to releasing their extended battery, perhaps that will help you.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post

I use push email with Chatter (over both IDLE and pure push) all day long, with multiple folders, and with SMS, phone calls, and data, the Centro's battery lasts 14-16 hours.

Perhaps you are in a bad coverage area? Is your phone getting data service via EVDO or 1xRTT? Make sure there is no other app waking up to do something even though it is doing nothing (such as Sprint Mobile Email).

---

BTW: Push and polling are not the same. "Constantly polling" is expensive on the battery, push, on the other hand, can be very efficient.

---
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    I use Versamail with EAS push and don't have a battery problem. I generally get about 150 emails a day and have a dozen phone calls a day. I start around 7:00am and around 7:00pm I have about 50% to 60% left. I also use BT headset. The battery was much worse the first couple of weeks of use, but the last month of use, it's been pretty good. I would still like better, but I can live with what I am gettting.

I have had the "quick drain" twice now. For no known reason the battery just drains within an hour down to about 30%. I would like to figure that out, but can't find any common scenario. It's been over three weeks since it's happened.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12