1.    #1  
    I bought a receiver, but I need some software now. What is the best bang for the buck? I have seen some packages in the $100+ dollar range, but that seems a lot for the software only considering the low cost of complete nav systems these days!
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Free software that works is Earthcomber. You still need the bluetooth gps ($80-100)
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  3.    #3  
    I have a BT GPS receiver.

That software doesnt seem to provide turn by turn navigation? I dont mind paying a couple bucks.. but $150+ seems steep!
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordonmusser View Post
    I have a BT GPS receiver.

That software doesnt seem to provide turn by turn navigation? I dont mind paying a couple bucks.. but $150+ seems steep!

Earthcomber does give directions, if that is what you were talking about. I took it off because I have tomtom too and didn't want to waste the space
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    TomTom or Garmin. If you think they are too expensive...I don't know what to tell. There is a reason for example MS street is cheap, becuase its crap.
    I have been using Mapopolis on my Treo 650, and now on my Centro. All the maps are on one microSD card. I transferred them off the original SD card they came on.
  7.    #7  
    yea, I was looking for something like the Garmin Mobile I had on my other cell phone. I realize that it has to download maps, but I didnt mind that.

course, it was $10 a month. Guess I need to pull the trigger on some "real" GPS software
  8.    #8  
    question: anybody know a source for tomtom or Garmin that ships already on a microSD card?
    Wondering if Google Maps can work with a GPS via bluetooth? That would be great.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Google maps for palm , alas doesn't work with bluetooth gps.tom tom are designed to be downloaded to a sd card reader -- allowing you to put other stuff on the same card
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
  11.    #11  
    how big of a card is needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by jordonmusser View Post
    how big of a card is needed?
    at least 1gb - and that's the size the pre-loaded comes with. the centro supports 4gb. I have a 2gb so I can have some music and pics.

however I haven't been able to get my TomTom Navigator 6 to successfully run quite yet. Apparently some people have.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...79#post1374879
    I found the Google Maps on the Centro to be neat for free. I haven't actually tested it in the car but it does give you turn by turn, without the GPS. I guess if you miss the turn you're screwed but who here does that?
    TeleNav is always an option. It's a monthly $9.99 subscription, but you don't have to have a bunch of maps on SD card and I think the maps are updated more often.
    Emtac Navigator software is pretty good too, certainly better looking than mapopolis