1.    #1  
    I took possession of a Centro this weekend and need to make some points here.

1. This device is definitely an upgrade from any Treo. Really.

2. I was afraid this would be a cheap looking and feeling device, primarily because of a) the $99 new-user price, and b) the photos I've seen online make it appear to be cheaply made. That is not the case at all. Upon picking up the Centro in my hand for the first time I was impressed with how solid it felt. Sure, it's much smaller than my Treo 680, and lightweight, but it feels substantial/solid/expensive in my opinion. You also have to keep in mind that yes it's sold for $99 to new users, but that doesn't mean it costs Palm $30 to manufacture one -- they are likely getting big kickbacks from Sprint, since Sprint is going to be pulling in $50 - $100+ per month from each Centro sold.

3. People are dwelling on the recessed screen which appears in the photos to be significantly recessed. However, it sure seems to be less recessed than my Treo 680's screen.

4. The keyboard is fine. I was expecting it to be unusable based on all the reviews, but I could type on it just fine. It's very well constructed and again the entire unit feels professional and expensive.

5. The Palm OS hasn't been significantly changed in quite some time, but why dwell on that? It does everything I need it to do, is simple with few button presses to perform tasks, and is stable and fast. The only thing lacking up until this point was a small form factor device. Problem solved.

I encourage you to stop by your Sprint store to hold one in your hand. But bring your checkbook because there's a very high chance you'll want one.

This phone does not appear or feel cheap in any way. It's most definitely an upgrade to any Treo. I cannot stress that enough.
  2.    #2  
    I also need to add...

Yes the battery door is thin and a little tricky, and yes the MicroSD is extremely small, but we asked for a small phone -- and Palm delivered. I think they made some OK tradeoffs to give us an easily pocketable phone.
    You will love it even more after a full week.....

I've had mine for a full week and no regrets. The gryphon Centro replaced my 650. I am thinking about the red one to replace my 700p.

I need two different colors with two Sprint PCS numbers.

Yeah, it's a beautiful unit, even after 2 weeks I've been using it. I posted back then that the Centro is a great business phone (irrespective of how Palm is marketing it)... and now my wife, who *never* was interested in my Treos or i500, wants one!
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Yeah, i've picked up two now. Ebayed the iphone. I can't get over feeling like a teenager bringing out the iphone at work or at clients. Damn thing just got annoying with all the swiping and limitations. Glad i got that out of my system
    I really, really, really want one, but alas Sprint covers not in non-metro areas. Oh well. must wait on AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygiordiana View Post
    Yes the battery door is thin and a little tricky,
    try this, unbelievably easy for me now.
    I agree with this overall thread. I only bought one yesterday, but am enjoying it SO much. I love the keyboard. I'm upgrading from the 755P and I find typing on the Centro to be much easier, and I'm far more accurate. Being that I'm a woman I have nails...sometimes longer sometimes shorter, and I'm finding that since my fingers and nails aren't slipping all over the keyboard I'm typing faster and more accurately.

I love the size. The only thing I haven't had a chance to really see if I can live with is watching movies. I do use my Palm devices for that purpose when traveling. The 755P worked pretty well for my last trip but the screen was bigger on that device. Having said that, I've noticed that even though the Centro screen is physically smaller, I'm seeing exactly the same amount of real estate on both screens. If I have 3 rows of icons with 4 across on the 755P, it's displaying the same on the Centro. Things are a little smaller, but I agree with what others have posted about it being clearer...crisper.

About the only gripe I have so far is that I don't always find the screen being as responsive as I would like. For example, trying to use the stylus to "grab" the scroll bar and drag it down. It's been taking me a few tries to get it. Of course, it's been less than 24 hours so I need to spend some more time with it. I don't think it's broken. I think it's just a learning curve. But I'm surprised at how quickly I've adjusted to the keyboard.

Unfortunately I did learn today that it appears my work may not support me using it. If that's the case, I'll have to return it. I need something that has my calendar and contacts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but corporately we've decided to support only the Blackberry and they may decide they aren't going to allow the updated HotSync to be installed. I wish I had known this before I went and bought it and fell in love with it.
    I agree with the above posts I had a 750 with att and went to sprint to try the centro and really liked the form factor. this is so much faster then any treo I had in the past and I had them all since the 180. My wife tried mine and know I have to get her the red one she is using the 650.
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Unfortunately I did learn today that it appears my work may not support me using it. If that's the case, I'll have to return it. I need something that has my calendar and contacts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but corporately we've decided to support only the Blackberry and they may decide they aren't going to allow the updated HotSync to be installed. I wish I had known this before I went and bought it and fell in love with it.
    Have you tried installing BB Connect for the 650? I might be worth a shot.
    I am in love with the speed - particularly with Blazer

I am coming from the 680 ATT so this is a blessing.

Alas though, I cant keep it, I hope Verizon gets this centro, then I would be set !
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    thank you for the blackberry connect suggestion. I have not pursued yet as I haven't been completely shot down yet. fingers crossed I won't be.

ETA: Well, I got shot down this afternoon. Which really upset me since I'm really loving this device. Bluetooth seems more solid than the 755P, and my CallRecorder is working properly, too (on 755P it dropped every 8 seconds or so).

I had taken the device home and synced there (including installing the updated HotSync software). When I had tried to do it at work earlier in the day I had run into the issue of not being an admin. on my computer. I do already have Chapura, but I'm not entirely sure I understand how that works with HotSync.

Anyway, on a whim I decided...what the heck do I have to lose. I'll try to sync at work and see what happens. The only 2 things I want from my work computer are my calendar and contacts. So I did, and it worked! So far no issues I can see. I'm so happy. I now have a small, cute device that is a phone, planner, PDA and entertainment device. I really was enjoying the functionality of the 755P, but not so much the size. I'm loving the Centro. And CardReader works so I still have my Treo (er..Centro) as a USB device, too.

I'm a thrilled customer.
    Last edited by French; 10/24/2007 at 03:00 PM.