Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    my centro will power up just fine but once i try to enable the phone (dial a number, browse web, send message, etc) it reboots. does anyone have any ideas? i've tried taking the battery out and replacing and i deleted all of the software which i had installed. this happened only after i had inserted a microsd card and persists though i've taken the card out now. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Do a Hard Reset to dump the RAM. You may have installed some add on software, or the card could have hosed the Saved Prefs file.

I have a Centro (since monday) with a bunch of add on stuff on it, and using a SanDisk 2 gig card.

Have not had a crash or freeze yet.

:cheers
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    a hard reset did it, a sync when i got home and everything is back to normal - i didn't realize there was such an option as that. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    a hard reset did it, a sync when i got home and everything is back to normal - i didn't realize there was such an option as that. thanks
    Excellent!

Most often, what makes a Palm OS Treo or Centro misbehave and become unruly is add on software that messes up the Saved Prefs file.

I don't use a Windows Mobile OS devise, so I can't speak to that.

The best medicine is to use a backup program like Resco Backup or NVBackup to keep known good backups on the expansion card.

This way, if you have to do a Hard Reset, you don't have to wait to get home to restore your devise back to the way it was.

Also, restoring from a hotsync is not a good idea in general. Because if you have a diseased Saved Prefs file, hotsyncing the diseased Saved Prefs back into the RAM will put you back where you were with the problems.

Also, files in the RAM are only hotsynced into your backup folder on your desktop if the files in the RAM are defaulted to backup. Not all the files are defaulted to backup status, which means you won't get some files back after a hotsync restore.

A backup program on your devise will copy ALL the RAM files and keep them on your card. Most will compress the backup folder or files in the folder on your card to save space.

hey traveler, thanks for the explanation about the backup programs. looks like i'll be pickin' one of those up soon