Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know the naming issue has been discussed before, but after my first full week with the device, I think Palm should not have gone with Centro. First off, all the orders and receipts say Treo 690. The couple of times I called Sprint support they asked if I had a Treo 690. When you provision the phone, if you've had the enjoyment of doing so on your own, it even says "You have successfully programmed you Treo!"

But the real reason is that when I was showing the device to friends and family or telling people about it on the phone or IM, nobody knows what a centro is. Treo as a brand is probably right up there with Blackberry (and arguably Sidekick) in brand recognition. Many conversations looked like this:

Me: I got a new phone.
    Friend: What did you get?
    Me: The Palm Centro
    Friend: What's that?!
    Me: Oh, it's the new treo.
    Friend: Oh!!

So, by the end of the weekend, I gave up calling it a Centro. "I got the new Treo, if you want to read about it go to Palm.com."

Was calling it a Centro just a way to trick existing Treo 775p owners in thinking this device was inferior, when we've all found that it's actual superior in most respects?
    Palm should have kept using the Name Palm Pilot in the description of all of their phones. It is the one name that I find people remember. It is over 10 years old and people still remember as they know the name Blackberry
    FastFrank
    I think the reason they changed the name and decided to introduce the NEW CENTRO was to maybe break into having a "line up" of phones like BB does (curve ,pearl, etc.) ? at the same time keeping the treo name for the new (linux os?) flagship Treo coming sometime late '08? but i'd agree, the this is totally the new treo for the time being

EDIT: palm pilot phone haha I like that!
    Actually, calling it 690 would have sent the message that it's inferior to the 755. Giving it a different name takes away that automatic judgement, IMO.

Palm is creating a new product brand. And it has the freedom to create even more brands, just as Blackberry has done with the Curve and Pearl, and Motorola has done with RAZR, ROKR, KRZR, etc.
    The Centro, even thought its an upgrade to any Treo, was positioned into being a "beginner smartphone" at a 99 dollar price.

I'm sure they didn't want the Treo name positioned that way. One can only assume they plan big things for the next Treo and position it as their model with all the bells and whistles. Of course if they don't, one can only say wtf? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The Centro, even thought its an upgrade to any Treo, was positioned into being a "beginner smartphone" at a 99 dollar price.

I'm sure they didn't want the Treo name positioned that way. One can only assume they plan big things for the next Treo and position it as their model with all the bells and whistles. Of course if they don't, one can only say wtf? LOL
    Right, calling it a Treo would imply that it's a cheap business phone, that no one would think was up to par (sight unseen). Those that found out that it's the same prduct, just smaller and way cheaper, would be frustrated that they had to pay so much for their Treo (especially the Treos that haven't come out yet, that will still be a higher price). So you'd more likely be frustrating BOTH ends of the spectrum.

Calling it a Centro creates a new brand, which separates it from its user bases - similar to how Apple for years has had two distinct lines of desktops and laptops, one geared more for pros, and one geared more for consumers. Sometimes they difference between the two lines is very small, but it gives people a starting point ("do I need this for heavy business use, or for at home? Is price more a concern, or features/formfactor?").

Sure it's a marketing ploy, but what these days isn't? I will actually be glad NOT to say "Hey I got a new phone. It's a Treo...but it's not what you think...it's not a big brick, and I didn't have to pay nearly as much for it as other Treos."

Sure people may not know what a Centro is RIGHT NOW, but that's with any new product. Heck until the last couple of years, most people didn't even know what a Treo was by name alone...
    The flaw of your logic is that you feel the need to explain what a Centro is. Instead of telling them its a smaller Treo, you can tell them its a smartphone that cost you 100 bucks. What's there to explain?
    You're right, the Palm Pilot name is recognized by everyone!

Have you guys seen this Centro video review from Infosyncworld? After watching it, my fiance and I are always joking now about how it's "NOT a Treo!"

But the Sprint receipt does in fact list it as a "Palm Treo 690". Personally, I like the Centro name. It seems like a nice new beginning after my 700p/755p experiences. It seems all new and shiny!
    The only thing Palm has done to make it seem silly is releasing the "beginner" brand (centro) that is currently superior to it's "advanced" brand (treo).

I think taking the Treo 755p off the sprint market soon would be a good idea...til they introduce the next Treo that better fits this line of thinking. Leaving the 755p in is only hurting the Treo name at this time. Or maybe they'll dump the Treo name altogether eventually..who knows..
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    this is the third or fourth time I've seen the Centro as superior... I must assume smaller form factor equals superior?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Umm...same hardware specs, updated (and additional) apps, less lag, speedier, etc.

I call that superior.
    no, superior equals a chipset that is POS specific. The 700/755 uses the same internals as the 700w/wx. It was the main reason for all the bugs, lags, resets, bt issues and so on. Palm admitted that it created problems with the POS because it wasn't designed around the POS. The Centro for most part only has the same processor as the other models. They said it was a different design than the 7xx series. That's what makes it superior as it outperforms and is more stable than the models that precede it. So the fact that it is an improvement over the 755 yet doesn't have its price premium is what gives it the superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    this is the third or fourth time I've seen the Centro as superior... I must assume smaller form factor equals superior?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    following that logic, and specs aside, my 650 is 'superior' to the 700/755.

but I see now why you think that. just browsing the specs comparison chart on Palm's website, hardly leaves a 'superior' impression.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    well your 650 isn't evdo. but the centro is. Over the 700/755 it...
    • is faster and more stable
    • has better BT compatibility
    • is smaller and lighter
    • has more user memory (just slightly)
    • has updated and more included software
    • sharper screen (though it's due to it being slightly smaller)
    • customizable button
    • is a lot cheaper

to me that is more than just an impression of being superior. To boot, the Centro wasn't put out to be a next generation phone by any means. It was just meant to be current tech in a package that appealed to a new audience. But because this is a POS oriented design, it just happens to do things right the others do wrong. And many did stick with their 650 because the 700 wasn't enough of an upgrade for them. It should be a no brainer now.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10/22/2007 at 04:21 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    spoken like a proud new owner. I can certainly appreciate that. I've waited this long though, and my 650 is rock solid and stable... it looks like I may be waiting til the next Treo. I dream about evdo, though!
    I still have a 700p. Not an owner. You'll have your 650 for at least another year at the rate they're going.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrank View Post
    Palm should have kept using the Name Palm Pilot in the description of all of their phones. It is the one name that I find people remember.
    You *do* know that Palm *had* to drop the name "Pilot" way back way, as they were sued (or under threat of suit) by the maker of Pilot Pens.

Frankly I think that it was a good move to not use the name Treo. Those for whom the name Treo means good things are fully up on the situation and what the Centro really is. But there is a bigger segment of the market to whom Treo means "big, bricky business phone, too complicated and expensive for me"... and for those people, "Treo" is somewhat of a perjorative.

In fact I go as far as saying the label "smartphone" is nearly a perjorative for the average consumer. "Smartphone" means unwieldy, overly complicated, expensive, unstable, poor phone-as-a-phone, unnecessary QWERTY keyboard, hard to dial, looks geeky/unstylish, probably requires expensive monthy plan. Palm might consider making an un-smartphone... which is pretty much the draw of the iPhone...

Funny how the tables have turned... Palm originally made it mark by producing the Palm Pilot, the PDA-handheld for the "rest of us" -- cheap, did the job, easy to use, in contrast to the expensive, idiosyncratic Apple Newton. Now it is Palm that is known for expensive, complicated, idiosyncratic Treos... and it will probably be runover by the iPhone2 (depending on whether the iPhone2 will also be constrained to AT&T or not)...
    People follow Palm for a while should know Palm come up with a new naming scheme every 2-3 generation.

The Palm III/V/VII series was changes to Palm 100/m500/m505 series and quickly changed to Tungsten T, T2/T3/T5/E/E2 and finally the TX. The Zire/Treo names were the last series.

In fact a renaming of the Treo is LONG OVERDUED. They haven't changed it simply because it has been selling well and pretty much the only thing the company is known for.

How many people in this thread didn't know about the Zire and the m100 and the VII?
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I dream about evdo, though!
    I have the 755 and believe me the browser is soooo slow it's still like having dialup. Now if you use it as a modem with PDAnet it's alot faster... alot!
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    I guess I'm a "Treo" snob, because although this phone is both exciting and very affordable to me, I feel, well a little off centered leaving the "Treo" name phone and body form with the lovely grey antenna, and yes; comfortable, familiar girth after so many years. -LOL

I remember when I first got the Treo 600, no one knew what they were back them, same would go for the Centro. Minor thing I know, but questions can become annoying after a while.

When I was in the store today at Sprint looking for a phone charger for my 650, I saw it, looked at it, but gravitated towards the Treo 755. Although I thought the Centro was interesting, I do not make purchases without the benefit of indepth research on forums and only after reading numerous reviews. That is unless the price is soooo low, I feel it's worth the gamble and risk.

That being said, personally I think it should have been called "Treo Centro."

Just my .2
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast