Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I like to be cutting edge and, although I love my 755p, I always think the "grass MAY be greener on the other side". So I went to a Sprint store yesterday and "bought" a Mogul to test out for 30 days with a new line of service on my family Plan. If, and I really mean IF, I ended up liking it better than my Treo, I would figure out what to do with my Plans and phones.

    Well, for those of you that may be in the same boat as me, I will save you some time. See my signature. I have been with Palm since very early. I know the WM guys say you need to use it for a few weeks before you can appreciate the differences, but here are my brief thoughts with a few hours to "play". Remember, I am not comparing all WM6 devices, nor am I saying one is better that the other. I am just giving MY opinion on my short trial with the Mogul after coming from a long line of Palm devices.

    1) The Moguls hardware is very clever. Lots of buttons that can be used without sliding out the keyboard. BUT, some of those buttons are on the sides and others are on the bottom so you need different fingers for different functions. Overall, the device is difficult to use one-handed.

    2) The keyboard, although larger, was actually more difficult for me to use. Keys are not raised as much as Treo and there was much less tactile feedback.

    3) Pocket Internet explorer, Mobile MS Office, etc are no better than the comparable programs on the Treo.

    4) Athough there may be a way to solve this in WM6, closing programs doesn't shut them, so they are still running in memory. I don't even know if that is a problem in terms of performance.

    5) I didn't test out push e-mail with my exchange server because it needed me to install a certificate on the device and I was too lazy (Chatter never needed me to install a certificate on my Treo).

    This is by no means a comprehensive review and I am sure people will take many objections to this. But, if you are like me and are always curious about the grass on the other side, perhaps this will give a you a reason to appreciate your Treos.

    So, to my dear 755p, I am sorry I looked elsewhere. It was only for one night and it meant nothing!
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  2. #2  
    Those arnt particularly damning faults. I guess you did not find anything good to balance them out at all?

    Surur
  3.    #3  
    As I said, for me they were damning enough to return after one day. I like the one-handed operation of the Treo, the form factor and Chatter for e-mail. I also think the keyboard works better for me. But, most important, spending any amount of money on a new phone needs to give me significant advantages over what I am currently using. Although the drawbacks may not be so great, there was no compelling reason for ME to switch.

    Maybe I will look at the Centro next and see how bad it will be for me with a smaller screen and keyboard. Shhh...don't tell my 755p.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  4. #4  
    I also returned the Mogul very quickly. Weak phone app and no BT don't make for a very good phone.
  5. #5  
    I think you read that wrong .. he decided to stay with the treo. I don't get it when you say weak phone app.. what do you really expect it to do? Ive never had a more advanced phone in my life then when I started using the treo. Every other phone Ive ever had when on the main phone app screen was dial and hit send. I just don't know what your expecting the phone app to do.
  6.    #6  
    Syphex: I read nsxprime's post differently. I think he also returned his Mogul for reasons like a weak phone app and no BT. I personally don't understand what he means about the phone app either. And, both the Mogul and the 755 have bluetooth.

    Anyway, I swapped it for a centro and (please don't kill me!), I am not that impressed. I have big fingers and I find it frustrating to type on the keyboard. Not so much because of mistakes but I don't get the same tactile feedback as with the 755. I could probably get used to it as well as the smaller screen though. However, as stated above, for me to spend money on a new phone (and accessories), it really needs to be a big improvement. The size is "not that" much smaller than my 755p. I like the rubber of the 755 too.

    Also, I had both the centro and 755 side by side and ran some informal tests on the speed moving between apps AND blazer's web speed from my office on 34th street and there was no noticable difference to me. Again, this is all from my informal testing and my opinion, but I assume there are others in the same boat as me.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  7. jweng's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #7  
    What Gadgetfreak has confirmed though for me and possibly others is Centro is the way to go. 755P costs more for me to upgrade from 650 than Centro and if there is no noticeable differences and Ican put up with the smaller keyboard, then go with a Centro.

    Yeah, the Centro's screen is also smaller too. However, I went to take a look at Sprint store and the difference in screen size is really minuscule for me to notice.
  8. #8  
    I bought the Mogul the day (well, a few before) it came out. I returned it less than a week later because of many of the reasons you posted here. While I was returning it I saw that the 755p was on sale for $199 and decided that it was a much better way to upgrade my 650 than the $500+ mogul.

    In brief:

    -Horrible phone application
    -Numerous hard buttons are nice, but they are WAY too easy to accidentally press
    -Having to slide out the keyboard is bad enough, having the entire phone lag for a second or two when you do it is inexcusable.
    -Where are my threaded text messages? Why does EVERY phone not have that yet? (I even installed a hacked version from the Treo 750, it was better, but it has some bugs on the mogul, especially with the sliding keyboard)

    There's a few more gripes, and in the end really very little positive to say about the phone. I guess if you're a die-hard winmo fan there might be something to love.
  9. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #9  
    I am currently testing out the AT&T 'Tilt' which is similar to the Mogul. It's got almost everything people in this forum want in a PDA: 3G, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. It is way different to operate than my current 755p. Why HTC placed the stylus at the bottom of the phone is a real mystery.... I'm so used to grabbing the stylus from the top. Talk about a brick in your pocket... it's way too heavy. I don't wear holsters on my belt. Although the Tilt outshines the Treo in many ways, the Treo is still wonderfully simple to use.... with one hand! The Tilt is for a real power user.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jweng View Post
    What Gadgetfreak has confirmed though for me and possibly others is Centro is the way to go. 755P costs more for me to upgrade from 650 than Centro and if there is no noticeable differences and Ican put up with the smaller keyboard, then go with a Centro.

    Yeah, the Centro's screen is also smaller too. However, I went to take a look at Sprint store and the difference in screen size is really minuscule for me to notice.
    Well, I still don't like the Centro better than the 755p. I dislike the smooth finish, the smaller keyboard (and screen to a lesser extent) and the cost:upgrade ratio (not enough improvements to warrant the price IMHO). For me, the 755p is the best for my needs and it looks like I will be keeping it for a while (at least until I find something else that I must test out).
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  11. #11  
    I tried the Mogul as well for about a week. Yes it has WM6 and does some fancy things with the touch screen. The bottom line for me is PHONE performance in addition to PDA functions. I didn't like the PHONE part. It was a bit crackly and ringers were low. I need to be able to hear clearly when using the phone as this involves getting information from physicians. The earpiece volume was also low via phone or bluetooth headset. I couldn't find any hacks or progs and to increase ringer and call volume and the Mogul forums have lots of questions but very few answers. I thought the slide keyboard was a bit awkward to use and certainly difficult using it one handedly. I also like to put my device in a case that stays on the phone while I am using it. The slide design makes this impossible. The device is smooth and slippery and I could just see myself dropping it with all the sliding open and closing. I use my devices on the job and I am getting in and out of helicopters and ambulances. I need a phone that stays in a case ( I use Vaja cases for everything, 755P, MotoQ, Ipod, Lifedrive) and that has a SECURE belt clip. It would have been an extra phone as you can see I have other devices available. I didn't like it enough to even keep it in that capacity. It worked ok as a PDA but we all know Windows has far fewer programs available in comparison to Palm. Yea I am a bit of a gadget freak...ha!
  12. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Well, I still don't like the Centro better than the 755p. I dislike the smooth finish, the smaller keyboard (and screen to a lesser extent) and the cost:upgrade ratio (not enough improvements to warrant the price IMHO). For me, the 755p is the best for my needs and it looks like I will be keeping it for a while (at least until I find something else that I must test out).
    It figures Palm would use a slick, glossy surface on a new device. I love the feel of the 755p, you're less inclined to drop it because you have a better grip on the rubberized paint. Palm also better wake up their design team, for if they believe that the look of the Centro is "cool," they have another thing coming.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I think you read that wrong .. he decided to stay with the treo. I don't get it when you say weak phone app.. what do you really expect it to do? Ive never had a more advanced phone in my life then when I started using the treo. Every other phone Ive ever had when on the main phone app screen was dial and hit send. I just don't know what your expecting the phone app to do.
    Um, please read what I wrote again and maybe you'll get it the second time around.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    So, to my dear 755p, I am sorry I looked elsewhere. It was only for one night and it meant nothing!
    So will we be seeing a sex tape of you and the Mogul on the internet anytime soon?
  15.    #15  
    No. Luckily I didn't even get a chance to play with the video recorded. And, I did a hard reset of the Mogul before I returned it. There should be no record of my transgression.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Um, please read what I wrote again and maybe you'll get it the second time around.

    Yep I did read it wrong ... sorry thought you said the treo had a weak phone app. My mistake.
  17. #17  
    I've had 2 Moguls over the period of several months. Here are some of the problems with it:

    -Alarms don't work properly or reliably for pretty much the entire lifecycle of the phone so far (2.08 ROM, 2.09 ROM, 2.16 ROM fixed it but unstable and removed from the HTC website)

    -BT does not work properly (All official ROMs)

    -Random crashes (All official ROMs)

    -Sound occasionally crashes/stops working (2.09, 2.16 is unstable for other reasons)

    -Ridiculously quiet speaker volume (2.08 + 2.09)

    -Memory leaks (All official ROMs, somewhat improved in 2.16)

    -I've had 2 Moguls that crash often using IM applications(All ROMs, 2.09 was the worst)

    -Poor performance on anything using directdraw

    -Slow keyboard typing refresh rate (2.08 + 2.09)

    -Slow screen switching from portrait to landscape (2.08 + 2.09)

    -Slow screen refresh when trying to reply to email/sms

    -Outlook randomly minimizes when opening emails
  18. #18  
    My 755p ran off with the neighbors Mogul. I didn't know my 755p was having an affair with a win mobile. It must have been more than a one nighter with them 2. I must have been looking for love in all the wrong OS's........
    Matty
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I like to be cutting edge and, although I love my 755p, I always think the "grass MAY be greener on the other side". So I went to a Sprint store yesterday and "bought" a Mogul to test out for 30 days with a new line of service on my family Plan. If, and I really mean IF, I ended up liking it better than my Treo, I would figure out what to do with my Plans and phones.

    Well, for those of you that may be in the same boat as me, I will save you some time. See my signature. I have been with Palm since very early. I know the WM guys say you need to use it for a few weeks before you can appreciate the differences, but here are my brief thoughts with a few hours to "play". Remember, I am not comparing all WM6 devices, nor am I saying one is better that the other. I am just giving MY opinion on my short trial with the Mogul after coming from a long line of Palm devices.

    1) The Moguls hardware is very clever. Lots of buttons that can be used without sliding out the keyboard. BUT, some of those buttons are on the sides and others are on the bottom so you need different fingers for different functions. Overall, the device is difficult to use one-handed.

    2) The keyboard, although larger, was actually more difficult for me to use. Keys are not raised as much as Treo and there was much less tactile feedback.

    3) Pocket Internet explorer, Mobile MS Office, etc are no better than the comparable programs on the Treo.

    4) Athough there may be a way to solve this in WM6, closing programs doesn't shut them, so they are still running in memory. I don't even know if that is a problem in terms of performance.

    5) I didn't test out push e-mail with my exchange server because it needed me to install a certificate on the device and I was too lazy (Chatter never needed me to install a certificate on my Treo).

    This is by no means a comprehensive review and I am sure people will take many objections to this. But, if you are like me and are always curious about the grass on the other side, perhaps this will give a you a reason to appreciate your Treos.

    So, to my dear 755p, I am sorry I looked elsewhere. It was only for one night and it meant nothing!
    The mogul is certainly not the device that is going to bridge someone from POS to WM. The WX is a different kettle of fish entirely.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  20.    #20  
    I am dredging up this thread again for the same purpose as my original post. In my quest to have the newest and 'best', I have now also tested out an AT&T 750 and a Sprint Q9C.

    With everyone telling me that the Palm OS is dying and WM is the wave of the future, I wanted to stay cutting edge. My thoughts (for those that are in the same position) keeping in mind that this is just my impression:

    Hardware:

    The Treo form-factor is truly best for me. One-handed operation and touch screen are great. The size (both thickness and width) are perfect for my hand. The rubberized feel is icing on the cake.

    Obviously the 750 is the same as the 755 so no hardware change there. The Q9C is wider like the BB 8830 and thinner. It also has a rubberized feel. I could get used to typing on the keyboard but the caps button is on the right instead of left like the Treo and the backspace is one of the top hard buttons instead of in the middle right. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally pressed enter/return instead of backspace. As I said, I prefer the feel and functionality of the Treo.

    WM6 Standard:

    The OS on the Q9C. Out of the box, it is customizable...to an extent (without 3rd party apps). I guess we could say the same thing about Palm OS though WM6 has more customizations. I could get used to it if needed.

    BUT...the main reason I am testing new devices is that I am trying to find an alternative to Chatter where I can get push e-mail from Exchange right out of the box with no 3rd party apps. The thought is that I would get more stability with no additional apps.

    POutlook on the WM6 standard is NOT the alternative for me. Moving items to a different folder requires WAY too many presses and, when you do move, it moves it instantly (well, it doesn't move it instantly on Exchange but it is no longer available on the Q9C). In chatter (because of a power saving feature), it grays the e-mail for a few minutes so there is time to reverse your decision to move if you made a mistake.

    WM5 Pro

    I did not try to upgrade my AT&T 750 to WM6 Pro but the same POutlook problems above were present in WM5. Maybe WM6 addresses the above problems? Also, I can't justify spending $70/month on an AT&T Treo ($40 for phone and $30 for data) when I am 'married' to Sprint with 5 phones on a family Plan (each additional phone is only $25/month - $10 for family add-on and $15 for data).

    I have tried Versamail on the 755p but you can't BCC nor move things to other folders on Exchange.

    Looks like the 755p remains THE device for me and I should stop always thinking that the "grass is always greener".

    No doubt, however, that I will NEED to test out the 800w when it comes out on Sprint.

    Hope this helps anyone else that can't stop the urge of trying out new devices.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions