Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Checked out the Centro last week at a local Sprint store here in Houston. Sales rep did everything possible to dissuade me from getting it.

He said the Centro chipset is not as good/fast as the 700p or 755p. I said I had read reviews, including an article (I think it was the review here on TC) comparing detailed specs, and it seemed the chipsets were identicial. Was this guy completely full of it???

Also, anyone know if all the 3rd party aps on 700p will work on the Centro, and if so, will it take time for developers to make compatible? Or should most that work on a 700p work right away on the centro?

Thanks all!
    I think most 3rd party app works w/o change.

chips? I don't see much difference,other than size.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJSgl View Post

Also, anyone know if all the 3rd party aps on 700p will work on the Centro, and if so, will it take time for developers to make compatible? Or should most that work on a 700p work right away on the centro?

Thanks all!
    As the previous posted said it appears most apps on 700p work on Centro. Do a search- there are two threads: one indicates apps that work on Centro and another thread that indicates which apps do not.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I find my Centro much more responsive and quicker than my 700p was. I suspect they have used faster RAM chips or something and that is why it is better. I love the upgrade from my 700p!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJSgl View Post
    Checked out the Centro last week at a local Sprint store here in Houston. Sales rep did everything possible to dissuade me from getting it.
    What a surprise, the Sprint rep was trying to sell you the more expensive phone.
    I owned a couple of 650's and 755P's. I always thought that most of the problems I had were from 3rd party software. After awhile I made it a rule to only run the best sellers that were updated frequently. Now that I've used the Centro I believe most of the problems I experienced, resets, lags, etc. were probaby just hardware related. I have installed a lot of software on the Centro and it just runs very well. Only had it for a few days but it seems great.
    Have you ever considered the amount of knowledge required to work at a Sprint store and get paid next to nothing for it? There's a reason why those people work there and why you shouldn't listen to anything that they say.
    this is the fastest palm smartphone I have ever used, I never listen to sales reps.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    My wifes centro is noticably faster than my 700p and as an added bonus it does not have any lags.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    The Centro has the same processor as a 755 and more memory. That guy was an *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    this is the fastest palm smartphone I have ever used, I never listen to sales reps.
    My wife and I went to a local Sprint store on the first day the Centro was officially for sale. We played with the Centro for a while, then my wife asked the sales rep why anyone would buy a 755p when the Centro was only $99 and has the same functionality.

The sales rep (a twenty-something girl whose technical knowledge probably came strictly from a Sprint sales brochure) then tried to convince my wife that the 755p was a "premium" device, and was therefore well worth the extra $150, and that we should consider the 755p for its superior performance.

Then we went home and ordered two Centros online with a SERO plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson View Post
    The Centro has the same processor as a 755 and more memory. That guy was an *****.
    You might want to check again. the 755p has 128Mb of internal memory. The Centro only has 64Mb.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/reso...martphone.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    You might want to check again. the 755p has 128Mb of internal memory. The Centro only has 64Mb.

lol, but read closer: 60mb user accessible (vs. the 64 mb user accessible on the Centro).

We don't know why the report ROM on one and not the other.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, but read closer: 60mb user accessible (vs. the 64 mb user accessible on the Centro).

We don't know why the report ROM on one and not the other.
    In the past, they didn't report it because the operating system was burnt into permanent memory and therefore not upgradeable...except in the form of patches that resided in the user accessible ROM. Wonder if that is the case with the Centro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post

You must work for Sprint. LOL
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ty for all the replies, everyone. very helpful!

didnt explain in initial post that he thought i had a 755p (i actually have a 700p, which he saw with modified antenna and which quickly i put back in my pocket -- didnt want to alert him to the fact my warranty was now voided bc i messed with the hardware.)

fyi, the wierd thing is he thought i had a 755p and was telling me not to get the centro; still wouldve been an extra 100 bucks for sprint, but he said to stick with the 755p i already had -- seemed like a strange act of magnanimity. Had he know I had only a 700p, and i had asked him whether to upgrade to a centro or 755p, well then, of course i would expect him to recmnd the 755p...wierd thing is couldnt figure why he was giving me this load of crap when apparent choices for me were either 1) buy a new centro for 100 or 2) do nothing and keep (what he thought was) my current 755p.

as to the post recmnding i read other threads...thank you, sound advice, advice i like to give to others...unfortunately, when i posted initially, the threads you referenced had scant replies
    well the 700 and 755 are virtually the same exact phone on the inside and for the most part share the same design flaws. The internals on both of those phones were meant for win mobile. It didn't work seamlessly with the Palm OS. The Centro is a different design, and I think the only thing the internals have in common between the three phones is the processor. The Centro was built from the ground up, not off of an existing design essentially. Hence it runs the POS much smoother than the 7xx series.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The specs hardware wise between the 755p and the Centro are the same. The 755p has more memory total but in terms of usable ram, the Centro actually has the upper hand.

Things that are nice about the 755p are metal stylus, larger screen, larger battery and sturdier build. There were certainly some design sacrifices with the centro to get it down to that price in terms of design. Smaller batteries are cheaper, smaller screens are cheaper, cheap all plastic case with annoying battery door and crapper than crappy thin plastic stylus that bends ever time you tap the screen. Overall though you get better software and the same hardware guts inside as the 755p at way less money.

As for apps working, if they're 3rd party apps then ya they should carry over fine. Just go to the websites and make sure you get the latest revisions. I just migrated all my stff from a 650 to the Centro and i haven't hit a problem yet. Though i'm not totally finish with the conversion either.