1.    #1  
    Looked great..but he had it in a white protective plastic case. Asked him to take it out. He did. But gave me a look. Heck, that's basically the selling point of the phone..to see how small it feels in the hand.

Screen looked sharp. Web loaded up fast. Saw the bookmark for youtube and thought i'd see how the video would look. Clicked on one and bam..reset. LOL

I said to the guy "that's discouraging since that's the main prob with the 700p" He says something like "well that's normal..doesn't your computer reset once or twice a day?" I roll my eyes. He mentions i should wait for the HTC Touch in a couple of weeks and that's what he's getting. I sort of tune him out after that.

I click on youtube once again. Just audio. No video. Black screen.

Everything else seemed fine besides the stylus. By this time the wife is probably getting impatient waiting for me. I figure maybe someone screwed up the settings on the demo centro.

I left thinking..it's bad enough that Palm or Sprint doesn't market this device like they should. But the Sprint store didn't even have it on display. I had to ask for it. Was told i should consider the Touch instead before seeing the Centro. And they don't try to tell you any of the cool features. How about putting a card in it with some songs? Have a headset out next to it. Put Slingbox on the demo unit and show it off. Convert a video to show off.

Anyone who thinks the Centro will challenge phones like the iphone is way off. From a marketing standpoint, its a joke comparison. On down to the experience in the stores. They don't promote the Centro, they hide it in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Anyone who thinks the Centro will challenge phones like the iphone is way off. From a marketing standpoint, its a joke comparison. On down to the experience in the stores. They don't promote the Centro, they hide it in the back.
    indeed. however, I think we all know $99 entry level centro is not targeting same population of $399 iPhone?

PS. just to say a little bit about iPhone, I didn't have one, altho I tried iPod Touch for 3 weeks, its just functionally retard. MobileSafari isn't that stable neither, the whole OS, if i were to grade stability from 1 to 10, palm may get a 8, iPhone probably 8.1. It is indeed looks very nice tho.
    yes .. ii think it's been discussed here a few times. The comparison for this phone is the Pearl, or maybe the Q (thought no touch screen). The iPhone is not.

anyway - thanks for the feed back on youtube
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  4.    #4  
    I threw the iphone out there for the heck of it. (and silly me, i thought Palm was targeting the young ones...they are indeedy competing with the iphone) But you could say almost any smartphone. If you hide the phone in the back and don't even try to sell it or show off the key features, you'll struggle against any competition with half a marketing brain.
    cardfan, my local Sprint store hides them as well, but they atleast know more then the rep you spoke too. Sprint always shoots themselves in the foot by pulling those stunts.

I find it odd to be hidden when Palm is even doing a big marketing campaign on it. Sounds like the Palm rep needs to make the rounds a bit more.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I threw the iphone out there for the heck of it. (and silly me, i thought Palm was targeting the young ones...they are indeedy competing with the iphone) But you could say almost any smartphone. If you hide the phone in the back and don't even try to sell it or show off the key features, you'll struggle against any competition with half a marketing brain.
    I was told to wait for the touch as well. The woman also even mentioned the new pearl which was coming. Just for the heck of it I asked if sprint would ever carry blackberry curve but she had no idea what i was talking about. She looked lost. Oh well. As far as hiding the centro, however, this is rampant. They all seem to be keeping it on the "down low" rather than pushing it.
    Most stores have not received the tethering claw for the device and as result have ended up with a new active toy floating from rep to rep until some one asks about it or it needs to be charged. This happens allot, give it another week and it will find its home next to all the other demos
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    Most stores have not received the tethering claw for the device and as result have ended up with a new active toy floating from rep to rep until some one asks about it or it needs to be charged. This happens allot, give it another week and it will find its home next to all the other demos
    That would make sense. The sprint store i was at had it under glass.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    sprint stores that I've been to here in bay area california seem to have a centro out on display to use. I also did try the youtube app which worked very well. I even search for several videos and they all played great with audio as well.
    diane
    The Sprint marketing campaign (or lack thereof) just blows me away. In the past when Verizon brought the Motorola Q and LG Chocolate phones to market, they were plastered all over TV and print. I have yet to see a single ad for the Centro...all word of mouth so far which has some value but not as much as an agressive marketing strategy. And Sprint presumably paid Palm to be the exclusive provider for a while...might as well capitalize on it!
    I also had to ask for the Centro in a Sprint store. My own handson impression are these:
    * The shell is made by very hard and very glossy plastic with sandy color pattern. I agree there is no need for case.

* keyboard is not "sticky" like the other reviews said. Still feel slick to me. It's probably 70% of the Treo keyboard as far as functionality goes. I got to say the 5 way and the center button feel very good and solid.

* Blazer is faster and better.

* The material don't feel "upscaled" like the other SE phones in the same size (SE P1, m600 etc) Feels exactly the same "class" as the Pearl.

* The round bottom threw me off, it feels...cheap since "squary" phones are in the trend right now.

I will try to buy one for 300 from somethere. It's to me a "beater Treo" with decent durability. It's worth the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffnician View Post
    wait- so the tethering claw is what is holding stores back from putting this on display? Sprint only knew the size and shape of this thing since Palm sent them demo units to test, I presume.

This isn't an excuse or an explanation- its another example in how sprint is failing to market this phone.
    I also went to a sprint store to check out a centro, and they had to bring one out from the back as well. But the sales rep told that the reason they keep the centro in the back is because the phone has been selling so well that they didn't have time to put one out on display.

anyhow, nobody should draw any conclusions based on a couple of anecdotal obeservations. And I certainly wouldn't take any comments from any sprint saleperson too seriously.......
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    my local sprint stores (in the bay area) seem to have it on display. On the other hand at the Palm store they were pretty clueless. One guy told me the red one was coming out between now and christmas.....