Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My brother just bought a Centro and it is his first PDA phone. I have been a treo user since the T600 and have had the honor of showing him the ropes. I was trying to show him the internet radio feature from Treobits.com. However, when I'd click on a station, it would play in Knoma player and not in Pocket tunes. On my treo 700p it just goes right to Pocket tunes no problem. The advantage to pocket tunes is that it can play in the back ground and Knoma doesn't. Any ideas on how to get the station to trigger Ptunes?

Thanks

Rob
    sorry I don't know the anwser to your question, I just want to point out that pTunes has built-in internet radio selections, altho its not as rich a data base as treobits.com
    I e-mailed Ptunes about this and it's not possible to have it open streams when you click a link in Blazer. It's no longer the default stream player on the device.

They said if you open stations from Ptunes own directory, the get added to the "unfiled" section of the directory so you can get to them later.

When I get Centro, I'm gonna bookmark a bunch of stations on my 650 and then try to copy the bookmark file to the Centro.

Let us know if you have a more elegant option.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, well thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm not the only one with this concern. I will post if I find a solution.

Thanks Guys,

Rob
    I just realized the same thing. There must be a way to tell the Centro to use pTunes as the default application for streaming MP3 and aac file types.
    I have been playing with this for a little whike now.

With Kinoma 1.04 and pTunes 4.0.4 in the Centro ROM, there seems to be no way to change Kinoma as the default player when selecting a URL for streaming. I have tried a few methods, however none work to make pTunes the default player.

I have tried setting URLs in Blazer bookmarks. When selecting the bookmark, Kinoma pops up everytime.

I have tried copying the URLs into pTunes bookmarks and saved. When selecting the pTunes bookmark, it loads http:// and not the rest of the URL.
    So you can't load the station playlist.

It seems to me that there must be some agreement to not use pTunes in the ROM as the default player.

Now, I have migrated my Pocket Tunes Shoutcast URL list from my 700p into the Centro Ram and it shows up as Unfiled in NetRadio preselects. I can use my favorite 96 and 128 kbps streams with PT 4.0.4. Just not able to load new URLs into that list.

There is a way to beat this Kinoma thing. I have a registered copy of pTunes 3.1.7 and I loaded it into the Centro RAM. Now when I load a streaming URL, from Shoutcast for example, pTunes comes up as the default player, because pTunes 3.1.7 is being used instead of the ROM pTunes 4.0.4.

With pTunes 3.1.7 installed, the two default preselects files are still in the RAM, but it seems you can't use 4.0.4 preselects. I didn't care for the 4.0.4 preselects because the majority of them are at 24 kbps streams. No sense using those since I can play 96 and 128 kbps streams with no rebuffering on Sprint.

If you load another pTunes Deluxe version into the RAM, backup your Centro RAM to the card first.

Thanks for the reply TreoTraveler. I also have a registered version of pTunes Deluxe. I guess I'll have to down-grade to the older version. What a drag.
  8. FB4
    You can create new entries in the Internet Radio option not bookmarks. Just create a new title and the internet .pls address and it will play in Pocket Tunes no problem. I am not having any issues doing this.
    This may be a stupid question...but if a local station I listen to has "live broadcasting" via the Internet, should I be able to listen to this using PTunes, or even over the built in web browser?

I tried entering the URL in the Internet Radio stations of Ptunes but that didn't work. I'm wondering if I might just be missing something.
  10. FB4
    You need the .pls address not the stream addres.. For instance I listen to Di.FM Vocal Trance...

Create new entry under Internet Radio
    Label = DI.FM Vocal Trance
    address = http:\\di.fm\mp3\vocaltrance.pls

I have no issues playing or making new entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FB4 View Post
    You can create new entries in the Internet Radio option not bookmarks. Just create a new title and the internet .pls address and it will play in Pocket Tunes no problem. I am not having any issues doing this.
    It's just a PITA to have to manually create each entry that you want to link to. First you have to figure out what the URL is for each stream that you might want to listen to and then you have to create them all one by one within pTunes.
    I'd much rather be able to go to The Stream Center on the Centro, find the station that I want to stream, and click on it.
    Exactly....

Hence my post above about installing another pTunes Deluxe version into the Centro RAM.

pTunes Deluxe 3.xx works on the Centro for making pTunes the default player for streams.

I am going to install pTunes 4.0.3 and see if it will work with the default net radio preselects in the RAM.

I am willing to bet that PT 4.0.4 Deluxe in the ROM was crippled so that consumers would pay for a Deluxe version for the RAM.

Hi Treotraveler,

This is good news - so you can confirm that "pTunes Deluxe 3.xx works on the Centro for making pTunes the default player for streams?'"

I take this to mean that with v3 installed on the centro, you can click and audio link in blazer and it will play in ptunes. Once playing, you can bookmark it and play it at another time right from the bookmark list in ptunes.

Is this right? i hope so.

Thanks!
    Yes that is correct. Launching any stream pulls up PT Deluxe 3.xx as the default player and saves the URL in pTunes. Just like it worked on the 700p.

Having PT in the RAM has no affect on the bundled Kinoma 1.0.4 in the ROM as far as playing videos goes.

However, with pTunes Deluxe 3.1.7 in the Centro RAM and playing, you can't turn the screen off with the Power button. When you press the Power button to turn the Screen off, it stops PT 3.1.7 from playing.

I downloaded PT 4.0.3 via OTA to the Centro, and will install it tonight and play with it.

Hopefully, PT 4.0.3 will work without any Power button issue on the Centro.

If I remember correctly, PT 3.xx had some issues with the 755p too.

Thanks for the great homework - looking forward to what you find out.

One follow up - you said you can't turn the screen off w/ the power button on the Centro when a stream is playing. Does background play still work - meaning the screen shuts off by itself and/or you can keep listening while you check you calendar?
    I hate to sound slow, but where do you find the Radio on the Centro?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Check the "on demand" program, or click on a "listen" link when on a station site in blazer.

OR: Look in the station directory included in Pocket Tunes.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Another one I use is

http://radio.mundu.com/

Frank
    I just ordered a centro. All my favorite stations are OTR, which are too unhip to make the default bookmark list. I figured I would just beam them from my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe View Post
    Check the "on demand" program, or click on a "listen" link when on a station site in blazer.
    If you ever have problems finding the stream to a specific station, post here and generally someone will be able to help you out.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast