Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As was mentioned previously, bundled pTunes 4.0.4 is not the default stream player in the Centro. Bundled Kinoma 1.0.4 pops up when selecting a stream. On the surface, this would suffice for most folks. However, Kinoma won't save the URL for later play, that I can see. Also, Kinoma can't play in the background. Kinoma is to processor intense to use a bluetooth headset and SAG with the AG Connect DA. I connected my Moto HT820 using PL, MetaDA and the SAG DA while playing a stream in Kinoma. While using the BT headset, the stream went into constant skipping, not rebuffering, but skipping. Not usable at all.

pTunes deluxe 3.xx in the Centro RAM worked pretty well. The pTunes console came up when loading a stream and saved it in pTunes for later play. When I installed PT 3.1.7 in the RAM, I had to re-do all my PT preferences. See my post above about PT Power button issue. None of the PT General Prefs for the screen were supported in the Centro.

So I hard reset and restored the Centro from a backup done prior to installing PT 3.1.7.

Then I installed PT 4.0.3 into the RAM. All my PT 4.0.4 preference previously set were recognized and the default presets were usable. When loading a URL, PT console came up as default player and saved the URL for later play. No issue using SAG and BT headset and played in the background like all PT versions do.

However, PT 4.0.3 stopped playing when pressing the Power button to turn screen off like 3.1.7 did. PT versions prior to 4.0.4 either see the Power button as call end or won't run with the screen totally turned off. With PT playing and charger plugged in, having the screen and keyboard backlight off is a mute issue unless you're using the Centro on the battery.

I played with dimming the screen in the Prefs Power. If you turn the screen brightness down enough, you can turn the screen and KB backlight off (actually severely dim the screen) with pressing Option + Menu buttons. Only thing is, you have to adjust the screen brightness again to use the Centro normally.

Continued:
    Last edited by treotraveler; 10/27/2007 at 11:12 PM.
    Contined from post 21....

I found a BrightnessDA zip at PalmGear and took a look. It has 4 DA's from Brightness minimum to maximum.

I selected the Brightness DA min and BrightnessDA max and loaded them into the RAM.

With pTunes playing, I launched Petite Launcher/MetaDA and selected BrightnessDA min to turn the screen off. PT continued to play and the screen and keyboard were off.

Only problem was, turning the screen back on with it severely dimmed with BrightnessDA min. You needed a very strong light source to see the screen to launch BrightnessDA max to turn the screen back on.

I already had ZLink in the RAM, so I used ZLink to create a short cut for BrightnessDA min and BrightnessDA max. Then I went into Phone Favorites and set the 'C' key to launch BrightnessDA min and the 'V' key to launch BrightnessDA max.

Since you can launch any Phone Favorite in any open app on the Centro, this works out really well for killing the Screen and keyboard backlights with a press and hold of the 'C' key and turning the backlights back on with press and hold of 'V' key.

Also, with this setup, you have access to the pTunes volume and song selection with using the 5Way without waking the screen up.

Conclusion:

I would rather have PT 4.0.3 in the Centro RAM. I contacted normsoft about a pricing structure for upgrading (downgrading?) to pTunes 4.0.3. I am waiting for a reply.

You could use FB4's pls method. It works if have the pls correct.

If I want to load a stream, I would rather have pTunes as the default player and not work at loading my streams into pTunes 4.0.4 net radio.

BTW...

I forgot to mention earlier, that I only loaded the PT 4.0.3 prc file into the Centro RAM. All the default 4.0.4 files work with 4.0.3

Treotraveler: Thanks for taking the time to post all of your findings for the rest of us. Much Appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    ...Kinoma won't save the URL for later play, that I can see.
    You can save any URL as a bookmark. Also, you can click the down arrow in the Open URL dialog to see a history of previous URLs you've opened.

Kinoma is to processor intense to use a bluetooth headset and SAG with the AG Connect DA.
    Kinoma Player doesn't need any more CPU time when you're using SAG, but SAG itself can be very processor intensive.

My recommendation is to make sure you have the latest versions of both (recent versions of Kinoma Player have specific support for SAG), and use the instructions in the SAG manual to tune for your device. Often, you can get perfect results with an imperceptible change in quality.

http://www.softick.com/files/audioga...r_guide_en.pdf

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    ....I only loaded the PT 4.0.3 prc file into the Centro RAM. All the default 4.0.4 files work with 4.0.3
    I tried installing a seperate copy of just the 4.0.3 PRC file and then pTunes would not even recognize that it had internet streaming as an option. What am I missing?
    Last edited by scheumanrj; 10/31/2007 at 10:37 PM.
    Actually pTunes has just updated to v 4.05 (free update on the Centro) where it adds "External Media Prefs" menu item which you can use to set pTunes as the default player for handling streaming audio.

Woohoo (now we can finally use shoutcast with the screen off, the embedded Kinoma would shut off on me)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD311 View Post
    Actually pTunes has just updated to v 4.05 (free update on the Centro) where it adds "External Media Prefs" menu item which you can use to set pTunes as the default player for handling streaming audio.

Woohoo (now we can finally use shoutcast with the screen off, the embedded Kinoma would shut off on me)
    GREAT information! Thanks. And welcome!
    Thanks! I've used pTunes for ages and its the best for streaming (background playback is a big plus). I am still perplexed though as to why does the Centro version of pTunes 4 come with a pTunes 3 skin :| (oh well, normal skins can be downloaded from pocket-tunes.com for free (well some of them anyway) but it still adds an extra step that could have easily been avoided)
    While on this subject, does anyone know how to play XM on the Centro. I have two subscriptions on cars, love it, and would like to know if there is a way to access these channels.
    I just started playing around with the Centro and found you have to pay for Sirius. Are you Sirius? Why couldn't I just go to their website like I do with my computer, on the Centro and get it there for free?

This is great. Now we have all the bells and whistles. Volume boost, Skins, etc.
    Woooo Hoooo!!! Thank you NormSoft.

BTW: Here is the Version History for v4.0.5. Looks like they made many changes.
    Last edited by scheumanrj; 11/08/2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added the link to the version history.
    (now we can finally use shoutcast with the screen off, the embedded Kinoma would shut off on me)
    That was fairly rare, but a couple of our other customers helped us isolate the issue. The v4.4 update fixed it.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    While on this subject, does anyone know how to play XM on the Centro.
    Yep, here's how you do it:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/07/xm-sa...kinoma-player/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Yep, here's how you do it:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/07/xm-sa...kinoma-player/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I go to http://xstreamxm.com/mobile/ in blazer, Select my station and Kinoma 4.4 says "Unable to find host"

My credentials are right, I checked them by logging in on my computer.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I go to http://xstreamxm.com/mobile/ in blazer, Select my station and Kinoma 4.4 says "Unable to find host"
    I just tried The 80s and it worked fine, so the most likely explanation is a temporary problem with an XM server or your carrier's data network. Definitely let us know if you continue to have problems.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Does anyone know how to get Sirius streaming to the Centro? Not the Sprint provided service, but the Sirius Internet Radio service.

It looks like PTunes will support WMA but I guess the difficult part is getting the credentials into Ptunes.

Or does anyone know how to associate Ptunes with the embedded media player into Blazer? Currently kinoma loads which does not seem to support the wma files.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    For XM radio, I actually use MusicDock. http://mobile.musicdock.com/mobile/Channels.asp
    It seems to be much more reliable than the above mentioned site. I am curious about the ptunes update. There is a particular local station whose address isn't recognize by my stock centro out of box version of ptunes. Will this update help that?
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
    I know this was tried in the past, but can the new versions of Pocket Tunes or Kinoma player play Bloomberg Radio (WBBR AM radio)?

I also tried accessing the stream through www.thestreamcenter.com. It launches the embedded Kinoma player, but I get the dreaded "unsupported audio format".

Here is the Windows Media Player (desktop) properties of that stream:

mms://a1531.l2489849876.c24898.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1531/24898/v0001/reflector:49876

I tried entering this into Pocket Tunes 4.05 add Internet radio station url, but maybe I'm not entering the right url?
    NewYorker, that URL is incorrect. It has to end in .pls or it won't work.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast