Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I had a 650 and after painfully holding off from getting the 755, I finally got the Centro yesterday. After about 2 days (actually spans about 24 hours) of use, I am very happy with the phone.

* Pricing from the Sprint store:

I paid $199 for the Centro and qualify for $100 rebate. I was out of my contract, so I got the $200 off and I upgraded my phone plan from a very old $35 one to the lowest $39 plan. I did not get Sprint TV, Music and Navigation (not sure if it would work anyway), and blocked IM. I only have the basic data plan, $15 bucks. So, overall I only pay $5 more per month, got 100 more minutes (from the $39 plan) but lost IM. I am pretty satisfied with the price. [I forgot about the $7 insurance I added, which I did not catagorize as an increase cost for Centro because one may want it for any phone. But it did increase my monthly. I was also charged an upgrade fee, which logmein got the rep to waive.]

* Installation:

This is where I got bitten by doing things based on the experience of my last upgrade from 600 to 650, rather than following the instructions.

I was trying to avoid installing very old applications on the Centro, so I was trying to mess with the HotSync manager and manually setup my old bookmarks. This messed up the automatic installation process came with Centro. I only learned later that the new setup process can exclude application sync from old devices and I shouldn't have to worry about it dumping old apps. Even worse, I removed some items from the Windows register, that HotSync stopped work. After a good night sleep (got some clearer thinking), a few restarts of my PC, everything back to normal. I did hard reset on Centro and wiped all of my old Palm settings on the PC(that's when I tried to mess with the registery).

So I got all my Outlook stuffs synced automatically without any problem, but left all Palm specific stuff from the 650 off the Centro. I still manually setup Blazer bookmarks and the phone apps short cuts.

When I tried to install some of my old apps, I found the following do not work:
    - Callfilter (crashed when I received a call)
    - Takephone (I pulled it up, but it crashed at some point. Did not play it much, just removed it) [Malatesta stated that Takephone 7.50 works. Mine is 6.5, so looks like I need an upgrade. Man my 650 was old.]
    - Sketcher (crashed after a few use)

The following small apps worked fine:
    - BaseConv
    - Converter (unit converter)
    - DofMaster
    - FileZ

The bottomline is that the installation process is pretty good, and it was me made it much harder.

* Music

pTune is great!

I think someone stated that Palm needs to make it easy for teens to put music on Centro. Well, pTune does the trick. It worked fine with Sprint Music Manager (from the CD) and Yahoo Music Jukebox Plus. When Centro is connected to the PC using the USB port, and pTune is opened on Centro, PC automatically recognize Centro as a music device. That's how Yahoo Music Jukebox Plus can recognize Centro without any additional software. I give pTune an A+ on this. At least for the first use, it is not much different from how iTune worked with my wife's SLVR.

Because Centro can be recognized as a standard music device, I am sure there would be other music players that can work with it. Adding songs is literally drag and drop.

I don't have to mention pTune's music list and stream features, both worked fine.

* Others

Since I upgraded from 650, the next few things may not be new to 700 or 750 users. I hope there still are some 650 user may interested in knowing them.

- All menu shortcuts are marked with the menu icon, not the old Gariffiti slash as on 650. Very easy to understand.
    - Bluetooth works better with my Motorola HS850 headset.
    - My 650 sync cable (not the one bundled with Centro and it has power connecter built in) can charge the phone using the USB port. 650 does not work. Come to think of it, I should try the Centro cable too, but I can't tell at this time. Without the power connecter as part of the cable I doubt it. [samkim stated that 650 can also be charged the same way, there is just no indicator for it. So the difference here may just be the interface and the added assurance.]
    - VersaMail setup is very easy. I knows about Verizon DSL email servers, so I did not have to put in the incoming and outgoing email server names. Just an email address and password is all it needs to setup.
    - VoiceMemo app is very useful.
    - Right shift is gone and it is replaced by the menu button. I understand why from the new keyboard layout, but this is one thing I need to get use to.
    - Phone vibrates when the speaker is turned off. There had been a few times I was trying to switch the speaker off in my pocket and not sure which way the phone is facing and had to pull it out just to make sure.
    - Battery door was a little harder to open, but it is not the worst I have seen. After a few try, I can open and close it without problem. Again, compare with SLVR, Centro's battery door is much easier. I dropped the SLVR the first I tried to open it.
    - The build of Centro does look cheaper than 755. I did a side by side comparison in the Sprint store, 755 looks a lot more professional and the finishing and feel makes me think it will be as sturdy if not more than my 650. I dropped my 650 a few times and it never failed. I do worry a little with Centro (I saw the cracked screen post, yuk). Now, I just hope someone is going to put out a good case for Centro. None of mine works with Centro.
    - The sync and power connection point has the annonying rim again. If you use a 2.5mm to 3.5 mm converter from Radio Shack, you have to shave the plastic off a little to have it plug in all the way.

* Conclusion

Upgrading from 650 is a no brainer, assuming most 650 users already out of their contract by now. I actually will go a little further and say the upgrade is a must. Even when a few old apps stop working, I am sure the 3rd party developer would quickly upgrade the programs to support Centro.
    Last edited by ksom; 10/20/2007 at 10:23 PM.
    I have a treo 650 myself and am considering both the 755 and the centro.

First off, I preferred the feel and the larger keyboard of the 755. It feels more solid. However, people have been reporting that the centro is basically a smaller 755 with a faster ev-do and faster app switching.

I liked the centro a lot too. $99 for all of the features seems to be a good deal.

What do you think? Should I take the plunge? I am ready for an upgrade.
    TakePhone 7.50 (build 008-beta) works fine for me, no issues.

The Centro does charge via USB with the included cable. It syncs with the 700wx too but won't charge.

logmein: you have 30 days to experiment on Sprint, so just pick one you think you might like and give it a shot.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    TakePhone 7.50 (build 008-beta) works fine for me, no issues.

The Centro does charge via USB with the included cable. It syncs with the 700wx too but won't charge.

logmein: you have 30 days to experiment on Sprint, so just pick one you think you might like and give it a shot.
    Mal, in your experience, what do you think of the 755p? Any lag issues? Ive heard the centro is actually faster than the centro in the ev-do category.

I would go with the centro if it is fastest out of the two. If there is no speed difference than i would choose the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Mal, in your experience, what do you think of the 755p? Any lag issues? Ive heard the centro is actually faster than the centro in the ev-do category.

I would go with the centro if it is fastest out of the two. If there is no speed difference than i would choose the 755p.
    Sorry, I never touched a 755p But from what I'm gathering from here at TC, this is faster in every which way than the 755p--both for apps and internet.

Maybe some others can chime in...

I think you should try the Centro: it'll be the more "extreme" change for you, but may offer the best surprise too.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Hi all.

Logmein, if you're out of contract (like I was), have a trusty Treo 650 (like I do) and have $99 to spend (you get the point)...pick up a Centro.

I ordered it from Sprint for $99 (been a customer for years and went with a 2-year contract, but that's no big deal) on Tuesday the 16th of October and received it on the 18th and I'm thrilled with it. No random resets (like my Treo 650) and all of my 3rd party apps work on it (except for Butler's LED functions, but the dev is working on it.) I gave my Treo 650 to my wife and she loves it and hasn't had a reset yet (no 3rd party apps...yet).

Smaller yes, but EVDO is a wondeful thing and the smaller form factor works for me. The fact that all of my 650 charging cables work is a bonus. The only thing that doesn't work is the Palm cradle. Oh well, my wife's 650 can live there.

Pick up the Centro and enjoy!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Sorry, I never touched a 755p But from what I'm gathering from here at TC, this is faster in every which way than the 755p--both for apps and internet.

Maybe some others can chime in...

I think you should try the Centro: it'll be the more "extreme" change for you, but may offer the best surprise too.
    Sweet! Then this may be just what I was looking for. That`s it Im goin` for it! Placing the order right now. Thanks!
    7zero, in your last post you said the Treo 650 cradle does not work. Why is that? I was under the impression that all accessories that use the universal connector would work. Does the cradle not work because the Centro is thinner, and thus it plugs into the cradle's connector but there is a big gap between the back surface of the Centro and the rear support of the cradle? Thanks for any info.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zero View Post
    Hi all.

Logmein, if you're out of contract (like I was), have a trusty Treo 650 (like I do) and have $99 to spend (you get the point)...pick up a Centro.

I ordered it from Sprint for $99 (been a customer for years and went with a 2-year contract, but that's no big deal) on Tuesday the 16th of October and received it on the 18th and I'm thrilled with it. No random resets (like my Treo 650) and all of my 3rd party apps work on it (except for Butler's LED functions, but the dev is working on it.) I gave my Treo 650 to my wife and she loves it and hasn't had a reset yet (no 3rd party apps...yet).

Smaller yes, but EVDO is a wondeful thing and the smaller form factor works for me. The fact that all of my 650 charging cables work is a bonus. The only thing that doesn't work is the Palm cradle. Oh well, my wife's 650 can live there.

Pick up the Centro and enjoy!
    quick question. Im eligible for an upgrade and have been out of contract for 1 year. The sprint rep told me that there an $18 dollar upgrade fee. Have others been charged an upgrade fee as well?
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knt_jsph View Post
    7zero, in your last post you said the Treo 650 cradle does not work. Why is that? I was under the impression that all accessories that use the universal connector would work. Does the cradle not work because the Centro is thinner, and thus it plugs into the cradle's connector but there is a big gap between the back surface of the Centro and the rear support of the cradle? Thanks for any info.
    Hi knt.

It'll charge just fine, but when I push the sync button on the cradle...no joy. The Centro doesn't sit as perfect on the cradle as the 650 did, but that's because the Centro is thinner.

When I've tested it out, I've tried to push the Centro onto the pins as far as it would go, but still no hotsync.

With regards to moving all the applications over. I moved over one app at a time, then moved my snapper mail messages to the Centro and haven't had any problems. I use Uninstaller and CleanUp from Northglide and installed those two first.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    quick question. is there an $18 dollar upgrade fee for sprint?
    Hi logmein. There's no fee that I know of. I asked about a connection fee and they said they would waive it *if* it shows up on my next statement.

I also did not pay nor have I heard of an "upgrade fee". Ask the rep when you're speaking with them.

Good luck!

-7z
    Quote Originally Posted by knt_jsph View Post
    My Mobi Power cradle for the 700wx works. It's a much tighter fit in the sense it takes more effort to force it in for the connection, but there's of course room on the sides.

Hi logmein. There's no fee that I know of. I asked about a connection fee and they said they would waive it *if* it shows up on my next statement.

I also did not pay nor have I heard of an "upgrade fee". Ask the rep when you're speaking with them.

Good luck!

-7z
    also a $12 dollar shipping fee. have you heard of that? Sorry for the questions. Im on the phone with the rep now and she is blasting me with all these fees and promotions.

So far the deal is:

$199 upfront fee with a $100 mail in rebate. She waived that bogus upgrade fee and is waiting to process everything.

After the $100 mail in it comes to $99 plus the $12 shipping and handling fee. Does this sound about right?
    Last edited by logmein; 10/20/2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    My Mobi Power cradle for the 700wx works. It's a much tighter fit in the sense it takes more effort to force it in for the connection, but there's of course room on the sides.
    Perhaps it's the cradle. My cradle is the Palm cradle that came out in early 2005. I needed an extra sync cable and figured, I'd get the cradle kit. Not sure why it's not syncing, but I can live with it. I just cut a hole in the bottome of a MobiTv phone holder I picked up at CES 2006 and can function with out problem.

Kinda funny to see my old 650 next to my Centro. The 650 sits proud with its blinking green LED the cradle while the Centro is on a modified promo item.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    also a $12 dollar shipping fee. have you heard of that?

I ordered mine through Sprint and they didn't charge me for shipping either.

Where are you ordering from?
    Last edited by 7zero; 10/20/2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: removed 's from Sprint
    I ordered mine through Sprint and they didn't charge me for shipping either.

Where are you ordering from?
    Im ordering over the phone - NJ. Damn, it sounds like she is trying to rip me off here, huh? She said she can`t waive the shipping fee. Hmm.. And you never had to pay a shipping fee, eh?
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Im ordering over the phone. Damn, it sounds like she is trying to rip me off here, huh? She said she can`t waive the shipping fee. Hmm..
    Not sure what she's talking about. I've *never* paid a shipping fee for any of my SPCS phones...ever

Maybe ask to speak with her supervisor or something?

Also, be aware, you're going to have to get Power Vision and that costs more than the regular Vision the 650 used.
    Not sure what she's talking about. I've *never* paid a shipping fee for any of my SPCS phones...ever

Maybe ask to speak with her supervisor or something?

Also, be aware, you're going to have to get Power Vision and that costs more than the regular Vision the 650 used.
    Yeah, Ive no problem with the $15 dollars for the power vision, but these upgrade and shipping fees are raising flags with me.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Yeah, Ive no problem with the $15 dollars for the power vision, but these upgrade and shipping fees are raising flags with me.
    If you're not comfortable, ask for her supervisor...or just kill the transaction and call back.

No need to pay for something you shouldn't have too.

Quick question: Are you in or out of contract? I did my deal through retentions and the process was amazingly smooth with no probs.

Good luck
    Last edited by 7zero; 10/20/2007 at 09:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    quick question. Im eligible for an upgrade and have been out of contract for 1 year. The sprint rep told me that there an $18 dollar upgrade fee. Have others been charged an upgrade fee as well?
    I was charged for the $18 upgrade fee. If you open a new line, it is $36. I assume the same discount and rebate for new users, so I complete forgot about in my post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast