1. mjf
    I have been very happy with Goodlink for 2 yrs on my Treo 700P but now Sprint wants to raise my monthly rate by $40 to continue to use Goodlink!! Currently I use it with my regular Sprint unlimited dataplan(Vision), but today I rec'd the below msg.

Can anyone explain? Thanks. I cannot afford an extra $500 per year to use Goodlink, and so would resort to Outlook Web Access client on the Treo 700P.

-----------------------------
    10/20/07
    Attention valued Sprint customer:

As a result of a recent directive initiated by Motorola Good Technology Group, action will be required by you:

To continue utilizing the Goodlink service on your current device you will need to upgrade your data plan to the Goodlink Data Pack for $39.99 per month. If you select this option, Sprint will issue a service credit to your account to cover the 1st month of service on the Goodlink Data Pack ($39.99).

If you would prefer to upgrade your device to Blackberry, Sprint will upgrade you to the Blackberry 8830 for $0.99. The Blackberry unlimited data plan is $39.99 per month (voice plan is required). If you chose this option, in addition to receiving the Blackberry device for $0.99, Sprint will issue a service credit to your account to cover the 1st month of data service ($39.99).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this directive, and we commit to continuing to work hard to earn your business every day.

Please contact Gabby Silva at 254-298-7803 or Gabriela.silva@sprint.com before November 15th to avoid an interruption in your service. Gabby’s hours are M-F 8:00 – 5:00 CST.
    Last edited by mjf; 10/20/2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    here is the thing.

If you use goodlink from a corporation, the IT group should have informed you that you needed a goodlink data plan to access the service.

They have not enforced it in the past, but with the launch of 5.0 and the new GMP, it is very easy to see.

I am in the process of making sure that everyone is on the right plan.

There is a multitude of ways that they can stop the service (motorola can pause the service, etc...) or they can penalize the IT group who is providing the service.
  3. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    here is the thing.

If you use goodlink from a corporation, the IT group should have informed you that you needed a goodlink data plan to access the service.
    Thanks for your post. In the past I did not need this plan; Vision data plan worked fine. Not sure why Sprint is no longer allowing their Vision plan to cover this any more. I like Good, but I would need to cover the cost myself and not sure it is worth $500 per year compared to using Outlook Web Access which would still work with the Vision data plan.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    I think the reason why they didn't previously was because they couldn't really tell.

I remember when I started with good, the rep flat out told us that we needed a good plan, but there wasn' a way for them to see it.

now with the launch of the new portal, it gives customers much better view of subscribers.

its the same with blackberry... there isn't a way for you to use a blackberry without the requisite plan.
    Also, this should not be an extra $40/month. The total should be $40/month for unlimited data including GMM. They do it this way because part of the monthly fee goes to Good (Motorola). If your current plan is $20/month it should only go up by $20.

I know in my case on AT&T if you are on a proper PDA plan the cheapest unlimited data plans are around $40 anyway. My GMM data plan would be $45 but my corporate discount knocks it down to $40 so it is the same. Of course loads of AT&T customers use $20 unlimited data plans that work fine although per the letter of their agreement they should not be able to use these with unlimited data on a PDA, let alone with GMM. AT&T has a very hard time telling what type of device you use (all kinds of discussions on this all over this site) but most get away with the "wrong" cheaper plan--now it sounds like GMM has figured out a way to track this, which I guess is only fair as it was always supposed to be this way. In the past you had to pay an annual license fee to GMM of around $300 then they knocked it down to $100 and now I believe you pay a one time fee and then you never directly pay GMM again (other than what they get from your monthly bill payment to your carrier).

The adavantage Good has over EAS from what I understand is that it works across a number of platforms and devices, whereas EAS basically revolves around Outlook only. For instance if you are running a POS device I don't know if EAS will work.

Intereseting to know that Good can now monitor this more accurately.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Dsol is correct, the $39.95 is the Sprint Good Data Plan which includes unlimited data, phone as modem and Good. We have always been able to monitor and tell the device type and the carrier. The change now is part our licensing structure, which is the one-time CAL and then the data plan, being enforced. We get feeds from the carriers (ATT, Sprint and VZW) of the people the have Good Data Plans and we bounce that off of our list of users and what comes out the bottom are the people that don't.

Blackberry requires the BB data plan. One advantage of complete proprietary system is owning the device, OS and application. You can't get a BB without a BB data plan (in 99% of the cases), whereas, you can absolutely get a Palm device and not run Good on it.
    You don't need the 'special' Vision package. Just tell GOOD that you want to keep paying the STS Pricing. It only took me 5 minutes of explaining to them that our prices would go up, and they listened.

My Good Costs actually went down about $1000/year with staying with the STS pricing. (The STS packages are actually cheaper now).

My combined Sprint and Good costs would have gone up over $3000/year with this Vision pricing program that they claim will lower your bills. RIGHT! (And we only have 20 users...)

Reason it sucked for us: We get free SMS and free Vision on a lot of our grandfathered lines. With the new $40 Vision package, we would have lost all that.

Now, if I could just get Sprint to give me back the $800 they owe me for 'accidentally' putting the $40 good vision pricing on ALL my lines, jacking up my SMS costs, losing all our grandfathered pricing!!!!! That was back in June. They have no idea or record of who made the changes.

Not cool. Not on Good's part, not on Sprint's part.
    Last edited by Sammyc53; 10/22/2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spell check. Additions
    The STS is $240 (and always has been) a year and is definitely an option. As for not cool on Good's part, that has been our licensing program for almost two years now. The thing is we have now started enforcing it.
    Really?

I hate to sound like a big complainer here, we are VERY satisfied with GOOD.

BUT.....

Well, our Good rep was charging $320 a year earlier for STS.

We thought we were getting a deal when we bought them through our VAR, Dell, for $280 a year.

Interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyc53 View Post
    Really?

I hate to sound like a big complainer here, we are VERY satisfied with GOOD.

BUT.....

Well, our Good rep was charging $320 a year earlier for STS.

We thought we were getting a deal when we bought them through our VAR, Dell, for $280 a year.

Interesting...

Our annual subscriptions used to be $330 a year. Now, the license is a one time charge and the STS is annual at $240.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    The thing is we have now started enforcing it.
    Can Good force a plan change with Sprint without us knowing about it? I wonder if that is how our plans got so messed up.

This is how it happened: We got a Compliance letter from Good stating we had 30 days to comply. About 10 days went by, and tons of $$$ costing changes were made to our Sprint account. Nobody at Sprint or Good knows who authorized them.

We still had time to comply. That was in the beginning of June. I am still cleaning up the mess.
    Sammy, I think that may have had to do with licensing, not the STS, but I could be mistaken. PM me your company name and I can check and let you know excatly what is going on with your account.
    Yep, the only time i have received a compliance letter, was when our subscriber were over the amount licensed.

Haven't seen anything yet for the plans, but figure something will be created to address the issue.
    Best of Luck to everyone that deals with Sprint. I upgraded all of our plans to GDP in March. Sprint finally made the change in September. Of course, that was after I rode them for 5 months and withheld $40K. Waiting on the final credits to roll in. Seems they added GDP to my aircards ( and my non-Vision plan phones, oh, and they forgot to take the old Vision plans off.

The new licensing information portal is nice, once I found out how to add it to my profile. Of course, our STS users are vodafone, china unicom, etc. and the users that Good has listed are on Sprint's GDP. Got to get that straightened out once it reaches a firestorm level.

Too many priorities, not enough hours.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad View Post

I hear ya.

I wished they would have explained accessing the GLP a bit more clearer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad View Post
    Best of Luck to everyone that deals with Sprint. I upgraded all of our plans to GDP in March. Sprint finally made the change in September. Of course, that was after I rode them for 5 months and withheld $40K. Waiting on the final credits to roll in. Seems they added GDP to my aircards ( and my non-Vision plan phones, oh, and they forgot to take the old Vision plans off.

The new licensing information portal is nice, once I found out how to add it to my profile. Of course, our STS users are vodafone, china unicom, etc. and the users that Good has listed are on Sprint's GDP. Got to get that straightened out once it reaches a firestorm level.

You have a terrible Sprint rep.

Have you tried OASIS to make the changes yourself? If not, look into it.

In the past, we have always received an email letting us know what plans are not acceptable data plans. Do not all people get this email?

And from what I understand about rate plan changes that have a monetary negative effect that usually will void your corporate contract, unless the contract was put together poorly.

EDIT: By the way, EAS will work with POS. However, it is TERRIBLE.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    The last time I tried OASIS it was useless. Most of Sprint didn't have a clue what that system was. I would do an ESN swap and after a week would have to call in to Corporate Care and have them change it. Same thing for suspending service. Now, I just call CC. I'll give OASIS another try if I can find my login information.

My rep is a former Nextel rep. He is as bewildered by Sprint as I am.

By the way, how is the Centro?
    Simpsonized
    EDIT: I think there may be different levels of authority in OASIS. When I do ESN swaps it happens immediately. The only thing that doesn't happen quickly are phone replacements and new activations, for obvious reasons.

I LOVE THE CENTRO!

I have put GMM 5 on every device we have from the 650p to the 755p and 700wx and Mogul. The Centro is so much smoother when switching apps and with everything enabled on Good there is NO lag what so ever. It is fast and responsive. Most of all the phone is just comfortable in your hand.

The only negative I have about the Centro is the small keypad. No biggie for me but for the non-tech users that don't want to exert any energy while pushing buttons it's a bit of a challenge

The Centro in my opinion is Palm's greatest device that should've been released 3 years ago. I just wish we were not phasing out Good.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Anyone here know if Sprint's Good service plan ($39/month) includes any SMS messaging? The plan price isn't bad since it apparently includes tethering, and regular data, but Sprint has been getting steadily more stingy with SMS pricing and I'd like to know if that's one of the perks before I make the switch. Thanks.
    Based upon my invoices, text messaging is separate. 300 messages = $5/month
    Simpsonized