1.    #1  
    I have a chance to change from my 680 to a Centro at no cost to myself. From what I read the Centro does everything the 680 does only better (and smaller.) Other than the size does anyone know of a downside?
    Quote Originally Posted by tts52 View Post
    I have a chance to change from my 680 to a Centro at no cost to myself. From what I read the Centro does everything the 680 does only better (and smaller.) Other than the size does anyone know of a downside?
    Different operating system, different exoansion card. If you use any third party software or sd-card you may think the matter over...
    the os is the same. battery is smaller. The centro gives you better data speeds with evdo while you can only get edge on the 680... if sprint's service is good in your area it might be a good choice if the smaller battery and microSD aren't big deals to you..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Ups sorry, I muddled it up with the 500
    You'll need tiny fingers and magnification vision. If you have these then its an upgrade.
    Patrick Horne
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I got to play with a Centro the other day. I too own a 680. Here are a few things I noticed, besides what everyone mentioned previously...
    -The screen is smaller, but definitely still readable.
    -The plastic casing feels like your hand can grip it fairly easily, for the 680, I find that if I don't use a skin then it gets kind of slippery.
    -This may be because it was a test unit, but the d-pad felt a bit looser than on the 680.
    -One big difference is that right now it's only on CDMA, but the 680 is only on GSM. The biggest positive I see from that is faster data speed with evdo, compared to the snail-like GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    You'll need tiny fingers and magnification vision. If you have these then its an upgrade.
    Both of these points are contrary to what reviewers/users are saying. In particular, the keyboard does not seem to be a problem, even to those with large fingers.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I don't think the keyboard is harder to use. Infact I think Palm did a little innovation here... its a small keyboard that is actually usable!

BB Pearl is hard as heck to use! Imagine if that was a full QWERTY instead of a SureType!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Both of these points are contrary to what reviewers/users are saying. In particular, the keyboard does not seem to be a problem, even to those with large fingers.
    Despite the smaller size and arrangement, the keyboard is still quite usable, but requires adjustment. I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker, however I definitely found myself making more mistakes and typos than usual, but I improved over time. The Centro does work well for the quick IM, sms or email but it takes much more concentration to produce error free typing. If email and document editing is your primary motivation for buying a smartphone, you would be much more comfortable with a device with a larger keyboard such as the Treo 755p. After using it exclusively for awhile going back to my 680's keyboard felt like a world of difference.

Full review ... http://tinyurl.com/25fuch

And don't forget that using the traditional Treo keyboard with full size adult hands is no walk in the park. Palm may have improved tactile feel or materials. But there is no substitute for sheer physical space on these devices. Less ain't more, no matter which color Palm-cool-aid one prefers.

Next I'm sure we'll line up reviewers who just love the smaller screen because of the increased pixel density. Fools at Palm should have just made it the size of a postage stamp. Better pix depth and killer battery life. Maybe next iteration?
    Patrick Horne
    I'm with you, LiveFaith. I don't think the Centro is an upgrade from the 680. The 680's keyboard is one of its best attributes. Coupled with a larger screen, I believe the Centro is a step down. Granted, the new messaging facilities are great, but size is NOT everything! And then there's always the issue of battery life......
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]
    Full review ... http://tinyurl.com/25fuch
    nice review. btw, what did the Dali Lama have to say? on your death bed will you receive total consciousness?