Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I would like to complain that palm did not put enough Crapware on my centro

I only had 36 Apps bursting fourth and crowding my huge screen. Is 30 something odd programs that Iwill never use supposed to impress me? I want to see so many junk programs I will never have time to even read their names much less open them.

And It is not enough that I can never delete them, I want them in my face, and painfully obvious for the life of my phone , and then some.

I am sure I am not alone in saying that I thoroughly enjoy playing wheres Waldo with the handfull of programs I actually heavily use, and that I really dont get to appreciate them, enough unless I have to work to actually get to use them.

Come on palm , you are off to a great start, you just need to pay more attention to PC manufacturers, and how they bog down system resources, and other enjoyable things, I know you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I would like to complain that palm did not put enough Crapware on my centro

I only had 36 Apps bursting fourth and crowding my huge screen. Is 30 something odd programs that Iwill never use supposed to impress me? I want to see so many junk programs I will never have time to even read their names much less open them.

And It is not enough that I can never delete them, I want them in my face, and painfully obvious for the life of my phone , and then some.

I am sure I am not alone in saying that I thoroughly enjoy playing wheres Waldo with the handfull of programs I actually heavily use, and that I really dont get to appreciate them, enough unless I have to work to actually get to use them.

Come on palm , you are off to a great start, you just need to pay more attention to PC manufacturers, and how they bog down system resources, and other enjoyable things, I know you can do it.

wahh wahh

Use FastHide and ull never see them or think about them again-
    I agree with you bro. I wish they'd just sell the darn thing barebones, like a Linux PC, and let us ADD what we want. I don't need a dedicated app on my screen just to take me to the bloody software store.

It's the principle, Carbone. I understand his frustrations. Yes, he can hide them, but he can't get rid of them. All the extras are unnecessary & can potentially cause problems. 90% of my crashes come from built-in apps & carrier-branded stuff like sprint mobile email. I wish we could do custom ROMs on these. I did a custom ROM on my 650 just to get rid of all the bloatware & it ran a hundred times better after I deleted all that crap.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    90% of my crashes come from built-in apps & carrier-branded stuff like sprint mobile email.
    Most of your crashes may come from carrier branded apps, but that doesn't mean the apps themselves caused the crash, which in a standard ROM is very often the case. Also you can easily find a ton of 3rd party apps that will introduce crashes in some way.

Considering you can easily use CleanStart or Uncache to prevent ROM apps from even being alerted that your phone was reset (aka they aren't really doing anything), I'm not really sure how problems can be pinned purely on the ROM apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Most of your crashes may come from carrier branded apps, but that doesn't mean the apps themselves caused the crash, which in a standard ROM is very often the case. Also you can easily find a ton of 3rd party apps that will introduce crashes in some way.

Considering you can easily use CleanStart or Uncache to prevent ROM apps from even being alerted that your phone was reset (aka they aren't really doing anything), I'm not really sure how problems can be pinned purely on the ROM apps.
    so are you saying a permanent application with the sole purpose of linking you to web site to access mobiTV for example is a good thing?

it is an ad

and it is permanently burned to rom

Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
    wahh wahh

Use FastHide and ull never see them or think about them again-
    man I have been using palm for years and though their have always been programs burnt to rom I never use, they were at least that programs, you are telling these companies its ok to dump advertisements on a device you pay money for, and enter a running contract to boot, and that its ok, because someone will (hopefully) come up with an app or hack to cover it.

its ridiculous a link to a web page is not a program, and is worthless, and insulting. but thanks for the advice on how to hide the crap, and thats what it is.

man I have been using palm for years and though their have always been programs burnt to rom I never use, they were at least that programs, you are telling these companies its ok to dump advertisements on a device you pay money for, and enter a running contract to boot, and that its ok, because someone will (hopefully) come up with an app or hack to cover it.

its ridiculous a link to a web page is not a program, and is worthless, and insulting. but thanks for the advice on how to hide the crap, and thats what it is.
    Bro I totally hear u and I can't even argue cause I agree 100%
    who are they to decide what resides on our personal devices.
    ive owned palms since the 290 and been with sprint since the 300 and had ever treo they've put out since.

I wish someone would come out with a rom edit tool like for the 650.
    I loved the idea of modifyin it an loosin the nonsense.

but hey, it is what it is.
    so are you saying a permanent application with the sole purpose of linking you to web site to access mobiTV for example is a good thing?

it is an ad

and it is permanently burned to rom
    I wouldn't consider mobiTV a good thing period. Pick your battles imo. NVFS problems are >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any unused apps and links that you can practically avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I wouldn't consider mobiTV a good thing period. Pick your battles imo. NVFS problems are >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any unused apps and links that you can practically avoid.
    thats why I didn't just directly rant on it in my initial post. But considering it is something new and not something like memo pad which is basically made obsolite with docs to go also included, I am not going to just tell palm and or at&t to please bog down any and every future mobile devices you might offer me with ads permanently burned into rom because I am going to just buy it anyway so just go ahead and slip it in.

As for NVFS, well this is my first device with it, and I am just beginning to transfer aps from my zire 72, so hopefully it wont become a bigger issue, though I di have notepad crash it until I deleted it (os 4 version) hopefully the files I beamed over from my zire will remain stable even if I can't sync them.
    I had gone over to adding and removing all data via sd card when my zire71 had the slider cable break rendering hotsync useless, I continued the tradition
    with my 72, but If I can I might go back to it via blue tooth or cable if the centro seems stable enough after I transfer my aps over.

hopefully palm will get their act together or this will likely be my last palm device, as I would rather have something in the form factor of iphone or t/x
    but since the palm Os doesnt offer anything current with a camera and voice recorder other than a phone, I am breaking down to get a centro.

But I do understand your point, hopefully not too well as I am hoping to transfer all of my applications with no problem from my zire, otherwise I may end up sharing your viewpoint more than I care to now.(I assume you are referring to incompatibility issues with nvfs)
    Hi, treotraveler,

Rotation Manager?

Is that a program for using the Centro in Landscape mode?

I've been looking for something like that to make the use of NoviiRemote easier, but the only program I could google was for old Sony devices.

If my assumption is correct: where can I get it?

Kind Regards,

Jochen
    Hi Jochen

Yep, Rotation Manager is a little app that rotates the screen from portrait to reverse potrait (upside down) to landscape or reverse landscape.

I use option + P as the trigger. It comes in handy with using a mobile keyboard.

I have been using for a long time on three Palm OS devices. I'll see if I can find it for you. If I remember correctly, it's shareware for a very small fee.

Hey Jochen

It didn't take long to find it, you can get Rotation Manager at:

www.mobile-stream.com

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page..

I use v 1.2.4 and it has a free trial period.

When installed to the RAM, you will find it in the device prefs panel and not in the launcher.

Chris777, Nobody wants to buy a bunch of apps to change what we see on our Centro apps screen. The unlocked / unbranded models don't have as many as the branded (AT&T / Sprint). I use the Treo Launcher. It has settings to hide what you don't want to see + a lot of other neat features. I agree we should be able to pick what we want. Marketing thinks different. So... we do what we can to correct their mistakes. Try the Treo Launcher trial download.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    What about Texas Hold'em?
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Has anyone tried using "Profiles" on the Centro? It is very handy, and it worked pretty well on my T650 (a little buggy sometimes, but not bad).
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    chris777

This was posted on SU, but the hack is from Treocentral.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...light=hide+app
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Has anyone tried using "Profiles" on the Centro? It is very handy, and it worked pretty well on my T650 (a little buggy sometimes, but not bad).
    I last tried on Saturday - the beta they had then for the Centro appeared to work... until I set a trigger; just about every attempt caused a soft reset.

Regards,

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hey Jochen

It didn't take long to find it, you can get Rotation Manager at:

www.mobile-stream.com

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page..

I use v 1.2.4 and it has a free trial period.

When installed to the RAM, you will find it in the device prefs panel and not in the launcher.

Thanks for the link!

... that's what happens when you give up too soon: you feel silly!

I actually was there, but all I saw was "the rotation manager Landscape for Sony Clié", and so I left :-(

Kind Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 04/08/2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
    hopefully palm will get their act together or this will likely be my last palm device, as I would rather have something in the form factor of iphone or t/x
    but since the palm Os doesnt offer anything current with a camera and voice recorder other than a phone, I am breaking down to get a centro.
    My biggest complaint is the lack of browser development for Palm OS. This is likely what will get me to switch back to WM eventually no matter what. WM has several browsers in development this year, some of which say they will include in-browser flash support. Palm OS has, ancient Xiino, ancient Netfront and Opera Mini, which Opera Mini will always be dependent on JVM (since JVM for Palm is complete crap, that's not good).
    Actually, I feel that Blazer on the Sprint Centro is a huge improvement. Of course, the EVDO connection is very fast, but Blazer also uses its cache now, so it is a pleasure to surf using Blazer (instead of a chore). Of course, huge sites still take some time, but I hardly ever use Opera Mini anymore because Blazer is so much better.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    It's not so much that I have a problem with Blazer, its that 3rd party web developers are not touching Palm OS. Blazer does as well (or even slightly better) than other OS included browsers.

If a browser comes out for WM that supports in-browser flash, Blazer will be ancient by comparison.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast