Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, like I said it's a mixed bag: we don't know how much of those WM displaced Palm OS device sales (and we'll never know). So they could be selling more Palm OS Treos than ever and selling a lot of WM Treos as well. I remember seeing overall Treo sales were their highest in 2007.

Certainly they are in a better position fiscally for having gone with WM than had they not. I think their position of Palm OS and POSII for consumers/pro-sumers and WM for enterprise and international is also smart.

Also I think the Centro sales will greatly help Palm--it's a solid device at a great price point.
    Trolls can't follow logic like that. Best not to waste your time on them.

The fact of the matter is that Palm took WM business away from companies like HTC who just churn out buggy piece of junk after buggy piece of junk (on Sprint at least). Palm finally gave WM users something solid to use and I would expect the 800w to do very well for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The fact of the matter is that Palm took WM business away from companies like HTC who just churn out buggy piece of junk after buggy piece of junk (on Sprint at least). Palm finally gave WM users something solid to use and I would expect the 800w to do very well for them.
    Yup, I agree with all of that.

That's one reason I'm interested in the Centro as it may give hints as to where Palm is going with the 800w--design and hardware wise. I might write up something for wmexperts on that...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    LOL. quick! Inform the troops!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    actually MC you said they'd be out of business if it wasn't for the WM Treo. That's more of a bold statement than Prime's interpretation. You think it jumped because of the form factor compared to the other WM devices out there? I bet the WM Treo took many slider customers from the other WM phones. I'm sure it took a few current POS users as well. But I highly doubt they'd be out of business if not for WM. I also think if they didn't do WM, they probably would've had more focus on the POS Treo with the Centro probably being a good 8-12 months old by now and the Linux version being ready by the 1st quarter of 08' instead of year's end.
    It's all relative...they would be out of business "sooner" without WM. I think that is pretty much a given.

Saying that without the WM, they would've had more time to focus on PalmOS device is quite frankly, wishful thinking. They spent how much time and money on the Foleo? 'Nuff Said.

Look, I love the Treo, but you Palmpologist are almost as bad as the Appologist.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Trolls can't follow logic like that. Best not to waste your time on them.

NX, I think the bridge-dwelling is all yours. SAND.

Took away HTC share? AYFK? WM devices sales are expanding, without or without the Treo.

I sure hope the 800w is all wonderful....it's been a long time coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Took away HTC share?
    Yes. You've finally made the connection. Go pat yourself.
    If you look at my history on here, I'm far from an apologist. I am a palm fan from the OS point of view dating back to my pilot pro, but the only positive 'treo' experience was with the 270. I don't like treos, and I can't stand Palm's lack of innovation and inability to create a stable device. but I hate WM and the phones that go with them on Sprint so the treo is my only option (thank you very little Samsung & LG). Yeah, the Foleo was a blunder. The concept wasn't bad, but they had way too muvh on the plate and it was far feom all of it being good. I think it took balls to drop it at that late stage in the game. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here that they are finding their way again. The Centro is the first step to bringing out a soild device, and we'll hopefully get glimpses of a stellar linx device for late next year. If it doesn't live up to its hype, I'm sure many will have no problem saying 'buh bye, and I can't believe they kept me sucked in so long.'
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    HTC is the OEM for most of Palm's devices. I don't know about the Centro, but they are the ODM for all of the recent Treos, at least since the 650.
    The WM Treo 750, and also the 700w/wx is known as the HTC Cheetah. I don't know the codenames for the others... They all have the rainbow bootloader that is common in almost all HTC devices.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121715
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-280485.html
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...me=HTC_Cheetah

They certainly weren't taking business away from HTC, just moving it around a little...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123