Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Sounds a lot like the Mogul owners to me. Poor saps. If you guys think that Palm is bad, just look at the dog poo that HTC has been selling suckers on Sprint for years. The amount of outright lies and false advertising coming out of them is amazing and FORGET about getting a meaningful firmware update out of them.

Palm's far from perfect, but they look pretty darn good compared to their competition.
    NOPE! no poor sap mogul owners here. Ive still with my treo 650, and Im not upgrading until I see something worthwhile from sprint.
    Sprint Power Up!
    Matty
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    i concur, blazer and over all os is much faster
    Time for "When is the 755p firmware update coming" thread. Also, time for people to start suing apple over the lack of firmware update for the 755p.

Al
    There is no debate. Palm has been dead for a couple years now.

I like the Treo, but they sqaundered so much opportunity it's unbelieveable.

Performing better than the competition? Hardly.

They have yet to make a stable PalmOS smartphone...maybe the Centro is it...

Their WM phones are solid...the only reason Palm is still in business.

Cobalt, Foleo, unstable Treo 600, 650, 700p...etc. Most companies don't get a chance to screw up that often.

Oh well...it's too bad, because the Centro form factor is nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    There is no debate. Palm has been dead for a couple years now.

I like the Treo, but they sqaundered so much opportunity it's unbelieveable.

Performing better than the competition? Hardly.

They have yet to make a stable PalmOS smartphone...maybe the Centro is it...

Cobalt, Foleo, unstable Treo 600, 650, 700p...etc. Most companies don't get a chance to screw up that often.

Oh well...it's too bad, because the Centro form factor is nice...
    umm...This is very on point...for a different thread.
  7.    #27  
    Just when I thought the thread was getting back on track!
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    Just when I thought the thread was getting back on track!
    Here, I'll try...lol]

Though I can't compare it to the 700p/755p, on most sites Blazer on the Centro renders much faster than Pocket IE on the Treo 700wx.

In short, it's pretty darn fast.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Anyone who thinks that Palm sells more WM phones than PalmOS phones goes right to the ignore list. Don't get a Centro, save your money and buy yourself a clue.
    Anyone who thinks that Palm sells more WM phones than PalmOS phones goes right to the ignore list. Don't get a Centro, save your money and buy yourself a clue.
    Why would a fact go the the ignore list?

I'm a longtime Palm/Treo user, but let's face the facts and not be ostriches.
    I'd love to see data that shows that as fact.
    Why would a fact go the the ignore list?

I'm a longtime Palm/Treo user, but let's face the facts and not be ostriches.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Here are the facts: Q4 07 Palm Investor Call 6/28/07

Ed Colligan

Yeah. I mean, approximately at this point were about a little bit less than 50% Windows Mobile and a little bit more than that are Palm OS based products.
    Now, did those WM sales canabalize Palm OS device sales or augment? I'd go with mostly augment but of course there were some Palm OS switchers, but for the most part WM helped increase Palm presence in the market.

Is Wm the only reason Palm is still in business? Once again, I think that was too strong. It certainly helped them and it was a good decision, but I would imagine they could have survived without it.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I believe it's that new math called troll logic. Probably one store in one country in one corner of the world that sold more WM phones than PalmOS phones on one particular day.
    that's the problem with most studies, polls and such. You can always find one that supports your position regardless of whether or not it's actually right. Unless you get info like that from the horses mouth, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Would like to see what the percentages are at year's end.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    So would a lot of people. Unfortunately, Palm does not release model by model sales numbers (at least no as a matter of course.)

But you can infer, based on release dates, the large increase in Treo sales could be attributable to the WM version being available as well.

http://www.slamblog.com/2007/03/all_time_treo_s.html

I never said WM Treos outsell Palm OS Treos (that was nx's comment), but rather the original point that having WM Treos is keeping Palm afloat a little longer (albeit on a lake of fire.)
    I believe it's that new math called troll logic. Probably one store in one country in one corner of the world that sold more WM phones than PalmOS phones on one particular day.
    Did you read the above qoute from Mal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Now, did those WM sales canabalize Palm OS device sales or augment? I'd go with mostly augment but of course there were some Palm OS switchers, but for the most part WM helped increase Palm presence in the market.

Is Wm the only reason Palm is still in business? Once again, I think that was too strong. It certainly helped them and it was a good decision, but I would imagine they could have survived without it.
    So in less than a year's time (give or take), Treos went from 100% Palm OS to 50-50.

Hmm...I think without WM Treos, Palm is a hurting (more than it already is.)

Thanks Mal for the info; underscores my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

The question is how long they would have survived otherwise...
    So in less than a year's time (give or take), Treos went from 100% Palm OS to 50-50.

Hmm...I think without WM Treos, Palm is a hurting (more than it already is.)

Thanks Mal for the info; underscores my point.
    Well, like I said it's a mixed bag: we don't know how much of those WM displaced Palm OS device sales (and we'll never know). So they could be selling more Palm OS Treos than ever and selling a lot of WM Treos as well. I remember seeing overall Treo sales were their highest in 2007.

Certainly they are in a better position fiscally for having gone with WM than had they not. I think their position of Palm OS and POSII for consumers/pro-sumers and WM for enterprise and international is also smart.

Also I think the Centro sales will greatly help Palm--it's a solid device at a great price point.

actually MC you said they'd be out of business if it wasn't for the WM Treo. That's more of a bold statement than Prime's interpretation. You think it jumped because of the form factor compared to the other WM devices out there? I bet the WM Treo took many slider customers from the other WM phones. I'm sure it took a few current POS users as well. But I highly doubt they'd be out of business if not for WM. I also think if they didn't do WM, they probably would've had more focus on the POS Treo with the Centro probably being a good 8-12 months old by now and the Linux version being ready by the 1st quarter of 08' instead of year's end.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast