Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went in today to check out the Centro. I immediately loaded the IM app to see how it ran (compared to the 755p) and signed on to two services. Sent one message and the phone reset itself. They said it was on the demo for 3 hours - what in the world? No 3rd party apps, hasn't even been synched with a computer yet, and the IM app made it reset? That's unsettling.

Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    The Sprint IM app is not that great. I traded in Free Sprint IM for a Mundu 4.0 license and lovin it.....

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    The Sprint IM app is not that great. I traded in Free Sprint IM for a Mundu 4.0 license and lovin it.....

That's what I have on my 755p now, and it seems pretty stable. I was just hoping the "on board" app would be decent and eliminate the need for a third party app. Oh well, I can't believe the apps ON THE ACTUAL phone would make it reset. That just shocked me.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Well, Sprint IM only does four IM services and doesn't do GTalk and another one. I did open IM on my Centro when I got it. It never crashed. And I never set it up either.

I went and hid the Sprint IM icon and use Mundu......

I think the softwares from Sprint are kind of buggy.
    I encountered a reset from the IM app this morning.
    The Sprint Mobile email app might have caused a reset, though I am not too sure about that. It might caused the google map to reset too.
    "On demand" is just a sprint rebadged app from Handmark. It is kind of slow to load, and gave me error messages when it tried to install into the phone when the internet connection to Sprint was slow this morning.
    I gave up on them, and my phone has been quite stable ever since.
    On the other hand, the Sprint TV is quite stable.
    On demand works great for me. Sprint mobile e-mail worked OK, but sucked the battery down. Haven't tried the IM app.
  7.    #7  
    I watched the CNET review and have read a couple of other reviews on the Centro, and everyone is down on the keyboard. I found it was NO different, other than a slight learning curve (just figuring out how to push the buttons because they're closer together) and I have long nails. I don't use my nails to press the buttons, just the "corner" of my thumb, and I had NO problems. I also heard the woman from CNET say "this isn't a phone for a business user"..... what would the reason be since this is the same as the 755? Anyone?

I also saw in another "review" a video of the woman showing the device, she was loading YouTube and playing a video right off the bat.. does this work on the Centro now? I can't get YouTube to play diddly on my 755p and I purchased Kinoma.. Just wondering.....
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Yeah.....

YouTube works right off the bat on the Centro. It comes with Kinoma 1.4 on it. It even has a youtube link already set in the Blazer bookmarks.

I was pleasantly surprised when I taped the bookmark and Kinoma popped up and loaded a video I picked.

As far as a business phone, don't believe the idiots that say it isn't. I am a poweruser and the Centro does everything the 650, 680, 700p, 700w and wx, 750 and 755 does and does it a little better and faster.

I figure if Palm could release the Centro that is this nice, I can't wait to see the future stuff. Palm is not dead. I figure they had a lathargic period and finally woke up.....

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Well, Sprint IM only does four IM services and doesn't do GTalk and another one. I did open IM on my Centro when I got it. It never crashed. And I never set it up either.

I went and hid the Sprint IM icon and use Mundu......

did you get an updated version of Mundo for the Centro?

I emailed then regarding the bluetooth bug but havent heard back....
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I am using Mundu 4.0.1 build 10688 on the Centro. Same on the 700p.

I did get some weird balloons pop up when I first installed it on the Centro that I don't remember getting when I first installed it on my 700p. After opening it a couple of times, it settled down and works fine with or without BT on.

I think 4.0.1 build 10688 might be the updated version for the 755. Originally, I had 4.0.0 on my 700p and updated it to this version. This 4.0.1 version is working fine on my Centro.

I was using version 4.0.1 build 10895 on my 755, I believe that was the updated version for the 755, it is also the version that will not run on the Centro without the Bluetooth being turned on...

Hopefully the developer gets back to ASAP...
    I'm a Pre gal now
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    I was using version 4.0.1 build 10895 on my 755, I believe that was the updated version for the 755, it is also the version that will not run on the Centro without the Bluetooth being turned on...

Hopefully the developer gets back to ASAP...
    Hey Cathartic, I've seen your posts... are you loving the Centro?

My only reservations are with making sure the following programs WORK, and WORK WELL in this order:
    Chatter (I've seen there is a Centro update)
    CallFilter (haven't seen if this works, but it's a MUST HAVE for me) I have seen another program that filters calls, but I can't think of the name of it.. and I can't find it!
    MUNDU IM (Also heard of a Centro update)
    Pocket Quicken (I've seen this works for most)
    TCPMP (Not a deal breaker, but I like to 'rip me an occasional movie' once in a while)

Battery life worries me because of Chatter. I use my phone from 6 am until 9 pm pretty solidly. I am not opposed to charging once a day - I usually have it on charger or on car charger most of the time, but I want a solid stretch of time that I'm not having to worry about losing my battery life - and until the novelty wears off, I will have my face in it 24/7 for a while. :-) Especially with YouTube, lol..that's great.

Anyway, girl to girl, I wanted your opinion....
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek View Post
    I watched the CNET review and have read a couple of other reviews on the Centro, and everyone is down on the keyboard. I found it was NO different, other than a slight learning curve (just figuring out how to push the buttons because they're closer together) and I have long nails. I don't use my nails to press the buttons, just the "corner" of my thumb, and I had NO problems. I also heard the woman from CNET say "this isn't a phone for a business user"..... what would the reason be since this is the same as the 755? Anyone?

I also saw in another "review" a video of the woman showing the device, she was loading YouTube and playing a video right off the bat.. does this work on the Centro now? I can't get YouTube to play diddly on my 755p and I purchased Kinoma.. Just wondering.....
    Yeah, as I said in my "business user review" last week, the Centro has the features I need for work, and after a week solid with this thing, I'm loving the keyboard now -- very nice tactile response and I'm cranking through emails.

In the end, some people... even in the press, buy into how a company positions a product, without stepping back for a minute and asking "why?".

Cute pic, by the way.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Hey Cathartic, I've seen your posts... are you loving the Centro?

My only reservations are with making sure the following programs WORK, and WORK WELL in this order:
    Chatter (I've seen there is a Centro update)
    CallFilter (haven't seen if this works, but it's a MUST HAVE for me) I have seen another program that filters calls, but I can't think of the name of it.. and I can't find it!
    MUNDU IM (Also heard of a Centro update)
    Pocket Quicken (I've seen this works for most)
    TCPMP (Not a deal breaker, but I like to 'rip me an occasional movie' once in a while)

Battery life worries me because of Chatter. I use my phone from 6 am until 9 pm pretty solidly. I am not opposed to charging once a day - I usually have it on charger or on car charger most of the time, but I want a solid stretch of time that I'm not having to worry about losing my battery life - and until the novelty wears off, I will have my face in it 24/7 for a while. :-) Especially with YouTube, lol..that's great.

Anyway, girl to girl, I wanted your opinion....

I really like it. The size is great!

I have had, like, 5 people comment on how nice it was...and ofcourse we women say its 'cute'

Mine has been stable so far but I dont have much installed yet. I take it with me to school at night and the battery holds up well. Im usually there for about 6 hours and I come out with about a 50% charge left. During that time I am using the web and texting. Although, I dont use chatter, I use Versa so Im not sure the affect it would have on battery life.

The one thing that KILLS me is the LED. I NEVER realised how much I used the LED on my 700 and 755... Hopefully there is a patch released for it as it was SUPPOSED to be released with the LED function built in for missed calls, alerts ect...

All in all, Im glad I switced. The phone is great. I recommended it to 2 of my female friends and they are SO excited about getting one. Hope this helps!

PS-GET ONE!
    I'm a Pre gal now
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    I really like it. The size is great!

I have had, like, 5 people comment on how nice it was...and ofcourse we women say its 'cute'

Mine has been stable so far but I dont have much installed yet. I take it with me to school at night and the battery holds up well. Im usually there for about 6 hours and I come out with about a 50% charge left. During that time I am using the web and texting. Although, I dont use chatter, I use Versa so Im not sure the affect it would have on battery life.

The one thing that KILLS me is the LED. I NEVER realised how much I used the LED on my 700 and 755... Hopefully there is a patch released for it as it was SUPPOSED to be released with the LED function built in for missed calls, alerts ect...

All in all, Im glad I switced. The phone is great. I recommended it to 2 of my female friends and they are SO excited about getting one. Hope this helps!

PS-GET ONE!
    I got one today! I do like it.... I'd like to explore the options of using mail2web with Versamail if my battery life stinks..thanks for the recommendation, I think I'm gonna love it! I just really needed my phone to be smaller....I loved my 755p though!
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    H

Try CallBlock by WishSolutions

What do you use to rip your movies? VEMode?
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Funny, the single reset I've had so far, even after installing 3rd party apps, was related to the Sprint IM program.

It has worked well since but I can't say I'm surprised--Sprint's programs have never been stellar, even their new WM Sprint TV is a bit of a hog.

Having said that, I actually like the new IM app. I just wished it could vibrate for a new message, but it seems to rely on the System Sounds, which don't vibrate with the switch. But for those who liked Verichat's SMS/Data system for saving battery life, will appreciate Sprint's version.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    Try CallBlock by WishSolutions

What do you use to rip your movies? VEMode?
    Pocket DVD Studio...

CallBlock is ok, but doesn't allow for a schedule of blocks - I block certain people on certain days, etc...
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Funny, the single reset I've had so far, even after installing 3rd party apps, was related to the Sprint IM program.

It has worked well since but I can't say I'm surprised--Sprint's programs have never been stellar, even their new WM Sprint TV is a bit of a hog.

Having said that, I actually like the new IM app. I just wished it could vibrate for a new message, but it seems to rely on the System Sounds, which don't vibrate with the switch. But for those who liked Verichat's SMS/Data system for saving battery life, will appreciate Sprint's version.

I have NO settings on my IM app - I can't change anything with sounds, alerts, etc.. All I have is Community Settings and Global, and both only allow me to "Save password", "Auto sign in" "auto save conversations" - "Enable sound", "enable help tips". I have NO other prefs... The "help" button tells me that I should be able to change all sorts of things, but none of it is on here... Any ideas?
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Pocket DVD Studio...

CallBlock is ok, but doesn't allow for a schedule of blocks - I block certain people on certain days, etc...
    I guess you're right...it allows you to specify time of day to enable certain filters, but those times are applied to all days. That's a great feature request...I think I'll drop them a line about that...
    Treo 650 Verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast