1.    #1  
    Will the new Palm Treo Centro be supported in the current or new Good Mobile Messaging? Is there a way to make it work by non-supported means? Thanks!
    The Centro will be supported in December of this year with the Service Release for GMM 5
    Thank you for the information. Why is that? The reason I ask is because I believe the 650 has the same OS, screen resolution, and processor as the Centro.
    There are differences, such as memory, data radio (EvDO), and external storage, between the Centro and the 650. That, and more importantly, the ROM build. I spoke with Palm and there are people running the current version of GMM on the Centro, but some bugs are flaring up.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I got Good to work on my Centro in 4 easy steps (standard OTA setup would hang):

1) Download software from here http://www.good.com/corp/int_support.php?id=507&pid=106 (use the last button: Good Mobile Messaging from an SD Card)
    2) Unpack the zip file and copy two files on to the Centros (PalmOS/EN folder) GLPkgPalm.prc and OTASetup.prc I copied them on to the handheld using the (Palm install tool) as I did not have a card.
    3) Sync the Centro to copy the files on to the handheld.
    4) Run GLPkgPalm application on the Centro. This will unpack all the Goodlink applications. Somewhere along the line it will ask you for your PIN.

The new version of goodlink is very cool. Looks great on the Centro. Even has an RSS reader - scrolling headlines on every screen if you want them.
    Last edited by seanoj; 10/23/2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added info as to why the odd install
    I didn't have to do a thing to get Good on my Centro.

Install went twice as fast as 4.9.3.34 on a 755p.

So far no problems.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Any reason why I can't just run 4.9x on the Centro until December?

Also, for those of you running 5.x on your Centro, how's the performance? This will be my first time ever using Goodlink, and I'm concerned about battery life and responsiveness.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm debating moving to a Centro from my 650 on Sprint. My GL admin says that it's not supported on 4.9 which we're running (my 650 reports 4.9.3.34_EN). Do you think I can safely take the plunge to the Centro?
    I'd appreciate any input.

Really frustrated trying to get GOOD on my Centro. Sprint store employees know absolutely nothing about it.

I did download, per Seanoj's instructions here. However, I downloaded it to my SD card and now I can't figure out how get it to open and run on my phone. Has anyone done this with the SD card instead of using the sync option? Is it just easier to sync instead of using the SD card?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! I love the phone.

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by seanoj View Post
    I got Good to work on my Centro in 4 easy steps (standard OTA setup would hang):

1) Download software from here http://www.good.com/corp/int_support.php?id=507&pid=106 (use the last button: Good Mobile Messaging from an SD Card)
    2) Unpack the zip file and copy two files on to the Centros (PalmOS/EN folder) GLPkgPalm.prc and OTASetup.prc I copied them on to the handheld using the (Palm install tool) as I did not have a card.
    3) Sync the Centro to copy the files on to the handheld.
    4) Run GLPkgPalm application on the Centro. This will unpack all the Goodlink applications. Somewhere along the line it will ask you for your PIN.

The new version of goodlink is very cool. Looks great on the Centro. Even has an RSS reader - scrolling headlines on every screen if you want them.
    After a little work, I was able to get it to work. Seanoj, thank you for the instructions on how to get GOOD on the Centro. It works great and I love the new version. The RSS reader is a nice add.
    Markinbright:

In response to your question:

"[...]for those of you running 5.x on your Centro, how's the performance? This will be my first time ever using Goodlink, and I'm concerned about battery life and responsiveness."

The new version works flawlessly if you follow seanoj's instructions. I have version 5.0.0.73 on my Centro and the responsiveness is quick. The initial sync to download all of your email and folders may take a few minutes; so be patient. It may look like it is stuck, as others have mentioned on similar posts, but just let it run. The consequences for interrupting the process will take more time (because you will likely need to uninstall and install all over again...)

It has not had any negative impact on battery life. In fact, I was running Good 4.9.3.34 on my 755p and the battery seems to last longer on the Centro. Good luck.
    Last edited by dragon_fly; 11/18/2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added version numbers
    Thanks for the info, Dragonfly. I've now been using 5.x for about a week on my Centro. It's very stable and the performance is good. (The Centro isn't quite as snappy as when I just had Chatter and Versamail, but it's perfectly acceptable.) Unfortunately, I can no longer get through a day on a single battery charge. Before Goodlink, I could just make it through a day with the Centro, with Chatter synchronizing with my Exchange Server at work, with Versamail checking email every 15 minutes, and with a moderate amount of web surfing and phone calling. With the same volume of activity but using Goodlink instead of Chatter, I just can't make it on the stock Centro battery. I was going to buy an extended battery as soon as they're available anyway, so this probably doesn't change anything for me and my company prefers for me to use Goodlink instead of integrating through Outlook Web Access. If anyone thinks my battery experience is abnormal, I'd be curious to hear about it.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    my goodlink usage boarders on abusive. hundreds of emails a day. I get between twelve and twenty hours. frustrating but not too mush worse than the 650 I was using before. Goodguy: please express to your developers my (and many others') desire for less of a battery hit when running your excellent (indespensible) application. Perhaps an option to throttle the radio on a schedule?
    My wife's Centro (no goodlink) will run for almost eight days before a charge is needed.
    I try to leave the unit docked in a charger while in the office.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    seanoj - i gotta think the battery usage is related to data usage in general, and less related to the specific data usage that goodlink is responsible for. that said, I agree...goodlink and chattermail kill my treo's battery. for that reason, I'm evaluating a switch to a blackberry. should be interesting...hopefully I will get the BB next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon_fly View Post
    Markinbright:
    The new version works flawlessly if you follow seanoj's instructions.
    After going thru all the machinations required to get the client installed on a Centro I don't know if that'a actually the case. Before I reset my device and try another install, let me know if you're seeing what I do:
    • When in the phone app, hitting keys will start dialing numbers rather than doing a contact lookup in the Good contact app. On my 700p I could hold the "num" key and start typing to dial a number whereas anything else started a contact search
    • When in any Good app (Contacts, mail, calendar, etc), hitting the "Home" key will take you back to the Palm launcher instead of the "Good" today screen app when you have the mapping set to the "Home" key. Everything works fine if you have it set to the side button
    • The Messaging (SMS) app will not do type-ahead search of your contacts. You must hit the down arrow and "Lookup" a contact.

Of course I can live with this since Good doesn't support the device yet, but I'm rather surprised that they don't release a version before 5.0.1 that supports what is basically the same OS as the earlier devices and can at least do OTA.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    RE: Battery Life

Another thing to consider... (and verizon does this on their devices), is if the carrier throttles the connection. I remember a distinction, that on VZW devices, all GMM installs are setup so that the emails are synced "intermittently". Things queue up here and there and once a couple add up, it would do a sync. This may have been battery saving tactic, to have VZW devices last a day or more..

This would be interesting to see once they pickup the centro. I know that with sprint devices, it sync immediately, so the poll period might be higher, leading to faster battery drain.

Or all of our things may be just conjecture and the battery drain, a side effect of running non certified code on a device. Perhaps MR1 will fix this issue and then our point's become moot. Heh.
    Last edited by Darthkim; 12/07/2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    After When in the phone app, hitting keys will start dialing numbers rather than doing a contact lookup in the Good contact app. On my 700p I could hold the "num" key and start typing to dial a number whereas anything else started a contact search.
    Have you gone up to the "Phone Display Options" in the "Options" menu from the phone app? The second option is "typing dials phone number" or "typing starts Contacts search."

I got nothing for the other two issues. . .
    Ummm....duh. You'd think that for as long as I've been dealing w/ Treos I would have remembered to set that. Of course if this thing worked like the phone app on the 270 and 300 (and could correctly determine whether the data entered was a valid phone number or a contact), that option wouldn't even be necessary.

Thanks! As for the other issues, I've temporarily solved #2 by using LudusP
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Goodguy, Any update on the service release? ETA? I would love to try a "supported" version of GMM 5 on my Centro. You had mentioned sometime in Dec...
    Maybe I did something wrong following seanoj's instructions, but it seems to be taking a very long time to get the PRC's synced over. The hot sync might even be stuck, but not sure. Should this take a long time?