1.    #1  
    I recently bought a 755p and am just over the 30-day return period, but I have received two defective 755's (one with a bad "s" key, the other with a bad center button) and feel like when I call for the return on the second I could probably make the case for a Centro replacement. The problem is that I have never seen one in person. From the reports here it seems almost (*almost*) universal that people prefer the Centro to the 755p. My big thing is one-handed use. I have always used my Palm's one-handed and would hate to find the Centro is no good for this. Also, is the radio reception of the Centro the same, better or worse than the 755p? That's also essential to me. Can anyone weigh in on these topics, as well as any other important issues in "upgrading" from a 755p? TIA!
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I played with one at the store and I find it easier to use one handed. The phone is smaller so my thumb reach is greater.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    5 way navigator much easier to use as well...nice big center button
    the radio is stronger on my centro than my 755. now I get reception in my office!

get it u will be glad u did
    Having the word "upgrade" in quotes isn't needed. The Centro really is an upgrade from the 755p.

That could be good or bad from your perspective. Don't you feel good that you're upgrading to what is called an "entry level" 99.00 smartphone? What's that make the 755p then? lol
    I've had every Palm that came out from the beginning and use it for everything! I just got the 755p a month ago.

Went into Sprint today and tried the Centro out. It took me all of 10 minutes to pay the 150.00 to cancel my current phone number and sign up with a new number to get it for 99.00!

I can't set it down. I use it for text and have no problem typing at all. The internet speed screams.

I know it may not be what everyone needs, but you owe it to yourself to at least give it a good test.

Does anyone want to buy a like new 755p for 299.00
  7.    #7  
    Damn, OK, I'm calling Sprint NOW! I hope they don't give me a hard time. I'm a government account so hopefully they'll go for the swap. I've now had two bad 755p's and the account was opened in only in early September. Any advice on what to say? I know when I was on Verizon this would have been easy.
    I did it after 30 days. Just tell them you you're done with trying the 755P's and you never had one that worked for 30 days. You will probably have to talk to a couple of people. I paid full price for the Centro but recieved a temporary credit for the 755. It wasn't easy but let's face it they really do owe it to you. I spent a great deal of time on the phone with them getting my 755 replaced twice and then doing a hardware swap to the Centro. It was worth it though. I could easily be happy with this phone for a couple of years. My software investment is starting to paying off.
    The Centro has half the memory and a smaller screen than the 755p. 320x320 is already a challenge on the Treo's screen and less memory is the wrong direction.
    Palm specs.

755 - 60Mb user accessible
    Centro - 64Mb user accessible
    I think mine actually shows 68.8
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Palm specs.

755 - 60Mb user accessible
    Centro - 64Mb user accessible
    First 4Mb can't make much of a difference.

Second, I'm confused by Palm claiming 128Mb of internal memory for the 755 and only 64Mb for the Centro. Where is the operating system? Makes me wonder if the Centro has it's operating system in nonupgradeable ROM memory...like the less expensive models of years past.

Also, lets not forget the battery is a HUGE downgrade. Time will tell if battery life is an issue. Perhaps the smaller screen and other downsized components will reduce the battery load enough to make up for some of the battery downsizing. The processor won't because it is the same.
  13.    #13  
    Well, as we saw with the 700p, upgradable ROM might not be very useful. But I'm not even sure that is an issue. As for the battery life, we can probably expect some more juice from 3rd parties and the Treo's powersaving features have always been subpar. Maybe they've improved. I get mine tomorrow and I'll be sure to post my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    the radio is stronger on my centro than my 755. now I get reception in my office!

get it u will be glad u did
    This is my first Palm device and I got a stupid question (off topic) but what is this radio that I hear you guys speak of and how do I get to it?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME50 View Post
    This is my first Palm device and I got a stupid question (off topic) but what is this radio that I hear you guys speak of and how do I get to it?

The radio is the radio for the phone and data...i.e. the most important part of any wireless phone.....
    Which begs me to ask, what software and services exactly are included with the Centro without upgrading or adding on premiums and extraneous stuff?

Thanks!

Update:

Searching is a concept I sometimes overlook. Here is the software I found posted on site here for the Centro:

Software on device
    Bluetooth®, Calculator, Camcorder, Camera, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Documents to Go® Professional Edition 10, Downloads, Google Mobile Maps, HotSync®, Instant Messaging, Nuance Voice Control, My Centro, On Demand, Phone, Pics and Video, PocketTunes™ Deluxe, Quick Tour, Sprint Mobile Email, Sprint Store, Sprint TV, Sudoku, VersaMail® 4.0, Voice Memo, Web (Blazer® 4.5), World Clock
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre