Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I have the 700p and went into a Sprint store to look at the Centro. The sales people told me it was for kids. They said if I was going to do anything I should go for the 755p.

Is the 755p better? What would I gain? What would I lose?

Funny thing is, I never saw the Centro because I had a lunch appointment and couldn't stay.
  2. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post
    I have the 700p and went into a Sprint store to look at the Centro. The sales people told me it was for kids. They said if I was going to do anything I should go for the 755p.

Funny thing is, I never saw the Centro because I had a lunch appointment and couldn't stay.
    From a very basic viewpoint, the 755p and the Centro are the same device, just in two different form factors. The Centro has a few minor upgrades in software over the 755P, but nothing to get excited about. Go into the store and play and around with each of them. Get the one that feels best to you.

The sales people you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. The Centro is not targeted at kids only. The Palm CEO said they are targeting the dumb phone user with this device. That is, it is meant to go head to head with phones like the Razor.

I went from a 700P on Verizon to a 755P on Sprint and am very happy. Given that I switched the first part of October, I could have when back in and swapped my 755P for a Centro, but I prefer the 755P form factor.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/

I have a 700p and a 755.
    The differences that I have seen areas follows

700p Antenna 755 no antenna
    700p Lower rev software 755 higher rev software
    700p less software in rom 755 more software in rom
    700p larger battery 755 smaller battery
    700p slightly larger 755 smaller
    700p good reception 755 better reception
    700p one color 755 two different colors
    700p sd card 755 mini sd card

There is also a diffence in the sync cable they give you on the 755. The power cable is the same the sync cable has been redisigned. When I use the 755 cable on my 700 it often makes the 700 reboot.

In all fairness I have not done the firmware upgrade on my 700p.
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald600 View Post
    There is also a diffence in the sync cable they give you on the 755. The power cable is the same the sync cable has been redisigned. .
    No it hasn't. The 755P uses the Athena connector like every other Treo existence. There are two styles of cables that one can get for a Treo. One is just a sync cable and the other contans a extended adapter that will trickle charge the device through USB. However, both are exactly the same with respect to data.

The fact that your 700p reboots when you use the cable that came with your 755P seems odd, but isn't related to the cable. You can get the exact cable that came with your 755P anywhere Palm assesories are sold.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    No it hasn't. The 755P uses the Athena connector like every other Treo existence. There are two styles of cables that one can get for a Treo. One is just a sync cable and the other contans a extended adapter that will trickle charge the device through USB. However, both are exactly the same with respect to data.

The fact that your 700p reboots when you use the cable that came with your 755P seems odd, but isn't related to the cable. You can get the exact cable that came with your 755P anywhere Palm assesories are sold.
    I said that that is what is happenning to me. I can use the 700p cable on both , but I cant use the 755 cable on the 700p. I dont know the reason and it really does not matter.It is just what i am experiencing.

btw I have trickle charged both the 700p and the 755 with both cables.
    The problem with the 755 cable on the 700p only seems to happen when pdanet has been used
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Which one do you like better? Is it worth buying a new mini DS card and case for the 755?

I have a 700p and a 755.
    The differences that I have seen areas follows

700p Antenna 755 no antenna
    700p Lower rev software 755 higher rev software
    700p less software in rom 755 more software in rom
    700p larger battery 755 smaller battery
    700p slightly larger 755 smaller
    700p good reception 755 better reception
    700p one color 755 two different colors
    700p sd card 755 mini sd card

There is also a diffence in the sync cable they give you on the 755. The power cable is the same the sync cable has been redisigned. When I use the 755 cable on my 700 it often makes the 700 reboot.

In all fairness I have not done the firmware upgrade on my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    Which one do you like better? Is it worth buying a new mini DS card and case for the 755?
    I like the 755 better , just because it has no antenna to get caught on things and it seems a little more stable.
    Sprint claims that once you put the update into the 700p they are the same.
    Since im scared to try the update because of all the bricks I have seen here I dont know. I do know that the 755 comes out the box with the IM client and the 700 does not.
    I like the 755 better , just because it has no antenna to get caught on things and it seems a little more stable.
    Since im scared to try the update because of all the bricks I have seen here I dont know. I do know that the 755 comes out the box with the IM client and the 700 does not.
    Yes, I like the 755 better too but is exactly the same as my post-MR 700P. The new IM client has mixed reviews as with all new software of Palm. If my company didn't pay for my 755, I would not have switched.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Couldn't have anything to do with their commissions or general level of (non)training, now could it?

Sales drones have all sorts of hidden motivations, but I'd agree the Centro isn't on par with the 755p, aimed more at "kids" if only by having a tinier screen than the Treo.

If you're coming from a 700p you'll likely feel more disappointed with the Centro for reasons others have listed. Just the even SMALLER screen and battery life is enough for me to lose any motivation to see one. By ditching the antenna the 755 stores comfortably in my pocket without a case, and with an extended battery from Seidio it makes it through the day well. Making these devices smaller by sacrificing battery life and screen size is a non-starter for me.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    HA-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  11. thi
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So does the 755 have rev a? if so is it significantly faster? how about blazer? I currently have a 700p MR. Is it worth a $50 upgrade from Assurion? My current 700p MR works flawlessly.
    Last edited by thi; 11/06/2007 at 03:47 PM.
    If it's flawless keep it.

They bumped my from a decent 700p to a awesome 755p for a warranty issue. But when the 755p acted up (microphone) and they gave me a new one it's a little flakier then the old one (lots more reboots) and I have exactly the same software. I think there are severe manufacturing differences and that's why so many people have different inconsistent problems.

If you've got a flawless one, I'm not sure I'd tempt fate.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    I had the 700p and reported a problem watching the saved episodes on Sprint TV. They froze at 5:58 EVERY time, even though the live TV was fine.

I was given a 755p, which of course did not fix the problem :-) But I got a new phone and I was able to put insurance on it, which I'd found out was essential not because of ME, but THEM and their bugs and defects.

I needed a new case and thankfully my card came with an adapter.

I don't think I would ever switch unless it was free, and maybe not even then :-0 I mainly switched just to be able to put insurance on the phone.

And BTW Sprint TV is now fixed for everyone (at least in my area). It took 3 months of complaining but they now put out the saved episodes in multiple files :-)

As for the Centro, I'd never downgrade to that! I use my Treo a LOT and need all the keyboard function and screen and battery power I have! I'd use a Centro if it was all I could afford...but I wouldn't go from a 700p to a Centro :-0 But that's just me :-0 To each their own. I guess the Centro is a bit sportier looking. The 700p is pretty corporate looking, more so than the 755p. Looks are pretty low on my priority list.
    the 755p and centro are both not Rev A. Don't forget that the camera and memory are both a tad better on the Centro than on the 755p.

I also came from a 700p to a 755p and I think it was a good upgrade. I always hated the antenna on the 600-700p. I wear mostly dickies at my job and the antenna always got stuck in my pocket so it made it really hard to get out, sometimes to the point that I would miss the call or accidentally hit the end button or the ignore button. Software doesn't mean much in comparing any of the phones except a few that come with the centro that haven't been upgraded for the 755p yet. If you like the software for something you can always buy the newest version.

As for the connector that I saw a post on above.. the 700p connecter is a little different than the one that comes with the 755p. The 755p connector is a bit smaller only because it doesn't have the power connector built into it. Other than that they are identical in use.

If it wasn't for the fact that I just recently bought my 755p I would probably go with the centro just the the smaller form factor. The memory is a bit bigger but only about 4 megs from what I have seen. I don't really have a problem with the smaller screen since I'm not blind and I can deal with it.
    Last edited by syphex; 11/08/2007 at 11:26 AM.
  15. thi
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info guys, man that Rev A is sooo tempting. I've noticed the hit or miss of the 755, not sure if its worth the gamble though. I'd have to go to a store to compare the evdo speed first. I would never consider the Centro for myself. It looks like something my niece would own. The current screen size is small enough.
    650, 700wx, 6700 (apache), 700p...
    MacBook Pro Leopard...iphone when it receives 3g...