1.    #1  
    I think other phones have shown they can do a screen level with the top of the phone. Why does Palm still have it recessed so much and surrounded by such a big bezel. Especially if they put their own protection layer on it.

You could almost maintain the standard treo screen size and make the phone 2 millimeters or so thinner.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Maybe to hold the touch screen in place, are there touch screen devices with screens flushed to the outer surfaces?
    Got to be a design to protect from drops (which is not something Apple give two **** about)
    Quote Originally Posted by seru View Post
    Maybe to hold the touch screen in place, are there touch screen devices with screens flushed to the outer surfaces?
    The iPhone
  5.    #5  
    iphone, htc touch/dual, samsung f700.

I'd say a majority of the people are putting this in some kind of case for drop protection.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Been like this since the early Treo days -- must be the same design team. Hope they have all finally been fired
  7.    #7  
    I think the Centro would look pretty sweet with a flat screen at the top and covering more of its face. Now if it were a clamshell, I could see the inset screen as it would go over the keyboard when shut. And yes I'm dreaming. I want a clamshell POS phone again... sigh.
    Comparing to the iPhone is really not fair. I am not a big iPhone fan for various reasons, but the interface and screen are pretty nice. The iPhone has a *GLASS* screen, so it will not scratch. It boggles my mind how people manage to sell screen protectors for the iPhone, when they are completely useless. The iPhone does not use a stylus, it senses the electrical charge from your finger. Totally different technology.

I have not personally seen a standard touchscreen phone that does not have any kind of bezel.

-Randy
  9.    #9  
    oh sure. bring logic into it and prove me wrong...haha. I just think there has to be some wasted space and a better way to design it. Would think you could have a casing that didn't meet in the middle but was more an inset design. The screen could go to the edge of the case with a rigid replaceable screen protector to go on top and make it look close to flush. If it needs to have capture, That type of case design could keep the bezel down to a millimeter or so. The semi even front/back casing could easily be updated to allow this type of change.
    I'm sure it could be designed better, but what would it cost?

-Randy
  11.    #11  
    would it really cost more or is it more of some forward thinking by the design guys. considering it's cost I'm sure they didn't really care to think too far outside the box. Now I have big hopes for the linux version, and I'm hoping it's not a let down.
    Quote Originally Posted by zesta View Post
    I'm sure it could be designed better, but what would it cost?

-Randy