Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There actually was enhancments done to some of the software on the Centro vs the Treo 755P . I thought it was interesting as it seems this device really is an upgrade from the 755P even if its only minor enhancments.

Treonauts has a list of a few that Palm sent to them. They also will be listing the hardware enhancments done to the Centro vs the Treos.

http://blog.treonauts.com/

Power Saving Mode
    The Palm Centro team have finally executed on the suggestion that I had made at the time of the Treo 680 launch regarding the matter of turning your screen OFF during calls in order to enhance overall battery life.

Now you can simply go to Preferences > Power and set “Backlight during calls” (image above left) to ‘off’ and thus increase your talk time by having the screen turned off during calls. Pressing any button during a call will bring the screen back on.

SMS Short Code Translation
    Another new enhancement now allows you to simply enter the word ‘yahoo’ or any other 4, 5 or 6 digit alphanumeric into the SMS ‘To’ line (image above right) and your Centro will automatically translate this to a 12-key numeric equivalent

Inbound/Outbound SMS Graphics
    A minor enhancement here consists of the addition of small graphics indicating whether the last message in your SMS is Inbound (Green down arrow) or Outbound (Yellow up arrow) – it’s not much but it actually helps to better keep track of your messages thus making the Centro’s SMS application even better (it’s arguably still very much the very best of any smartphone in the world today).

Quick Launch Favorites From Anywhere
    As existing Treonauts will know the Treo and now Centro allows you to set up to 70 Favorite buttons in the Phone application. When creating these Favorites you are presented with the option to add a Quick Key (above right) using any alpha letter on your keyboard.

Previously these Quick Keys could only be used from within the Phone application but on the Centro you can now launch them from anywhere. Simply Press + Hold down one of your Quick Keys from any application and it will launch your Favorite (unless of course you are in a text field). For example, say you have your significant other’s mobile programmed to ‘2’ … press and hold ‘2’ while reading your email and then voila, your call is automatically initiated.

Most Recently Used Applications Launcher
    This is not a new enhancement on the Centro but because I had completely forgotten that it existed on my Treo 680 I thought that it might be worthwhile pointing out how this feature works again.

By simply pressing and holding down your Applications (Home) button for a couple of seconds you will automatically get a small pop-up (image left) on the right hand corner of your screen listing your 8 most recently used applications - particularly helpful if like me you have a ton of icons in your software list.

Notable Other New Applications or Versions

pTunes Deluxe 4.0 ($39.99 value) which is fully compatible with Microsoft PlaysForSure and features album art as well as streaming radio stations among many others.

Docs To Go 10 ($49.99 value): this latest version provides even more increased native Office compatibility

Versamail 4.0 with background send and easier setup

Free Astraware Sudoku game ($19.95 value) on board
    The bundled IM application provides support for AIM, MSN and/or Yahoo! to instant message your buddy list while on the go.

As I mentioned earlier, I hope to also be able to create another similar post pointing out the hardware enhancements of the Centro as soon as Palm is able to provide me with this information.
    Tks for the info VaccPalm
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm REALLY should throw 755p users a bone and release a comprehensive ROM update to at least give 'em the new versions of VM, Blazer, and whatever of the above improvements can be shorhorned into the 755p.

The Centro's underlying architecture (OS & memory) is looking better and better by the day. Now can we get it in a larger-screened, larger-body, larger battery, fullsize SDHC Treo with a 2megapixel camera, please?

Basically, I want a 755p but with fullsize SDHC slot, a Seidio sized battery standard, the 500v's camera, and the Centro OS fixes & memory architecture!
    I don't want that at all. No more garnet POS treos. Let the Centro take over for a bit and come out with the all new Treo later.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I would simply like to add (I already did it in a thread I started) that for the Mac, Documents to Go 10 is lacking right now. The Desktop software you can download from Palms "Bonus" software site (linked from a file on the install CD) only has the desktop software for version 8. It doesn't work. For Windows there is a version 10.

Dataviz's site does have a version 10.001 for the mac available, but one has to pay for it.
    The Centro has VersaMail version 4.0.1, while the Treo 755p has VersaMail version 3,5,4.

The differences that I can see are:

ICON ORDER
    ------------
    On the top of the mail screen:
    On the Centro the icons are in this order: drop-down menu for folders, number of messages, signal strength
    On the 755p the icons are in this order: signal strength, number of messages and drop-down menu for folders

while viewing a email message:
    On the Centro the icons are in this order: hide\show message header toggle, signal strength
    On the 755p the icons are in this order: signal strength, hide\show message header toggle

while viewing a email message; Option drop-down:
    On the 755p the drop-down includes a item to toggle from "Use standard font" to "Use Smaller Font". This does not exist on the Centro.

Smarter Email Setup on Centro
    -----------------------------
    When you enter the email address, the help area below will automatically provide important information about the email service.

Enter me@yahoo.com and the message will read: "Yahoo! mail is accessible only if you subscribe to the Yahoo! Mail Plus service which includes POP access"

Enter me@hotmail.com and the message will read: "VersaMail does not currently support Hotmail/MSN mail systems. You can use the device's web browser at www.hotmail.com"

Enter me@gmail.com and the message will read: "To access Gmail, you must turn on POP access on the web. See http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273"

Even the ones that it does not have a message for, like .mac, attglobal.net and others, it will complete the rest of the address for you if it is a known domain. With these domains, you don't have to know the settings for the POP or SMTP.

Background Syncing
    -------------------
    When syncing the email, contacts and calendar items on the Centro, they are sent in the background. A rotating circle in the lower right corner shows that the background activity is occuring. While this is going on, you can read your email and even exit the application. One the 755p, you have to wait until the items are sync'd before you can move on to the next action.

Activity Log
    ------------
    On the Centro, there is a "View Activity Log" item on the "Option" menu that keeps a log of DirectPush and manual syncs.

Email Preferences
    -----------------
    The Preferences screen has the same 8 items, but the "Auto Sync" section is removed on the Centro and the two items are placed in the "Delivery" section.

On the Centro, in the Deletion link in Preference, they included a check box for "Delete mail on server after deleting from Versamail". This does not exist on the 755p.

On the 755p, in the "incoming" preference screen, there is a drop down for to get "entire message" and "Subject only". This does not exist on the Centro.

On the 755p, in the "Alerts" preference screen, there is a "Alert me of failures" and "Alert me of new mail". The "Alert me of failures" does not exist on the Centro.
    On Pocket Tunes:

755p has Ptunes 4.03 Deluxe

Centro has Ptunes 4.04 Deluxe

But the 4.04 version is missing the "Volume Boost" option in General Preferences
    Quote Originally Posted by MsTiel View Post
    On Pocket Tunes:

755p has Ptunes 4.03 Deluxe

Centro has Ptunes 4.04 Deluxe

But the 4.04 version is missing the "Volume Boost" option in General Preferences
    My 755p did not come with 4.03 and I think this is a well known problem. Are you sure you didn't upgrade?

Some of those features look great. I love the new hotsync even though I hardly ever hotsync my treo
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalposter View Post
    My 755p did not come with 4.03 and I think this is a well known problem. Are you sure you didn't upgrade?

Some of those features look great. I love the new hotsync even though I hardly ever hotsync my treo
    4.0.3 is an upgrade. I bought this upgraded version for my 700p.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Yes, the Ptunes on the 755p was upgraded. The point is that the took out the Boost option. Maybe since the speaker is already louder they decided it wasn't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsTiel View Post
    Yes, the Ptunes on the 755p was upgraded. The point is that the took out the Boost option. Maybe since the speaker is already louder they decided it wasn't needed.
    I can't wait to hear the speaker. Everyone's been bragging about it.
    Good Luck with your Centro.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Has anyone confirmed the Global Quickkey launching of Favorites? Bulter does this and is activated on my Centro. When I deactivate the Bulter function, it does not work. Anyone can expand on this?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Has anyone confirmed the Global Quickkey launching of Favorites? Bulter does this and is activated on my Centro. When I deactivate the Bulter function, it does not work. Anyone can expand on this?
    The Global Quickkey feature does work on the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I can't wait to hear the speaker. Everyone's been bragging about it.
    Good Luck with your Centro.
    I was listening to some audio books with Audible Player yesteday....the new speaker really is amazingly impressive (Audible books at Quality 4 sound great!).

I think that being able to listen to your music/audio books w/o headhphones is a GREAT feature that gives the Centro a big advantage over the iPhone. Yes, you can get better sound quality with headphones (on the Centro and iPhone), but sometimes convenience and flexibility are just as important as quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    I was listening to some audio books with Audible Player yesteday....the new speaker really is amazingly impressive (Audible books at Quality 4 sound great!).

I think that being able to listen to your music/audio books w/o headhphones is a GREAT feature that gives the Centro a big advantage over the iPhone. Yes, you can get better sound quality with headphones (on the Centro and iPhone), but sometimes convenience and flexibility are just as important as quality.

Good to hear. Tks for the info.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Palm REALLY should throw 755p users a bone and release a comprehensive ROM update to at least give 'em the new versions of VM, Blazer, and whatever of the above improvements can be shorhorned into the 755p.

The Centro's underlying architecture (OS & memory) is looking better and better by the day. Now can we get it in a larger-screened, larger-body, larger battery, fullsize SDHC Treo with a 2megapixel camera, please?

Basically, I want a 755p but with fullsize SDHC slot, a Seidio sized battery standard, the 500v's camera, and the Centro OS fixes & memory architecture!
    i'm sure it will come just as quickly as the 700p update came .....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Files app is missing on Centro, I restored it from my 680. I like having a basic file browser...
    Its in the MyCento application as a free download along with AW Solitare and couple other trials. Installed on my device just fine.

Muff
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post

How are you listening at Quality 4? My palm Audible software is only compatible with 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    How are you listening at Quality 4? My palm Audible software is only compatible with 3.
    There's a trick to do it, but I'm not sure about the exact steps. Here's what has worked for me:

1) Start with a Treo that hasn't had Audible Player (and Audible Air) on it. You may be able to do the same thing if you delete your Audible install on your Treo, but I've only tried it after a hard reset.

2) Install Audible Player w/Audible Air but don't play anything yet and don't run the setup to link to your Audible account online yet.

3) Copy Quality 4 files to your SD card

4) Try to play the Quality 4 file with Audible Player...you should get an error saying it can only be played on a device that has been activated for your account.

5) With Audible Air, enter your account information and activate your device. Don't do anything else such as trying to download any files or getting subscription informatoin...just go through the activation process and stop.

6) Switch back to Audible Player and and try to play the Quality 4 file. It should now play w/o any problems. I think this also sets a flag for Audible indicating that your device can play Quality 4 files.

7) Now, when you switch back to Audible Air and when you setup your subscriptions or try to download audiobooks you shoudl have the option of picking Quality 4.

You may be able to skip some of these steps, but assuming you start with clean Treo they are pretty quick to follow and have worked for me on a few different Treos.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast