Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's up everybody?I was wondering,is anyone having 755p like problems with there Centro?Being that the're basically the exact same device on the inside.Does it reset randomly?Does it lock up?Do 3rd party apps. make the freeze.Basically I'm wondering how stable the O.S. is running.I have a 755p,and am really considering dropping it and going with a Centro.Im still in the 30 day trial period.But if I switch to the Centro or any other device I'm locked into that device.So I want to make sure that I'm not gonna have the same problems as my 755p.Before I commit.I really don't want to have to go back to BBs.Im lovin the Palm O.S.!This is my first Treo and the experience so far is alittle disappointing.Only because It's not stable.Give me some help Centro owners.First timers or ex-755p owners.I want love my Treo but she's pissing me off right now!Im about to dump her and go with the newer,skinnier model.Thank you in advance.
    I'm dumping my 755P. I've have had 3 since August. The 3rd one is pretty good so far. I switched from 650 to 755 and it was a big improvment style wise and having EVDO and data roaming capabilities. I can get it all in a new, smaller version. Even though the 755 is smaller than a 650 it still seems pretty big. I don't type that much on the thing to worry about keyboard size. The screen size concerns me but people seem to like it.
    I resisted all the Treo iterations between 650 and Centro, partly because of the stability problems. The Centro has been rock solid over the past day or so. No resets, no freezes. YMMV of course. Be advised that I typically don't install a bunch of extra software or hacks.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  4.    #4  
    Yeah,I really like my 755p.But all I read are these horror stories about going through mutiple 755s.Like you said,this is your 3rd one.Ive had it 7 days,and I'm about to have my 2nd one.Thats ridiculous!I never had these kinds of problems with my BB.But I don't want to go back to it.Quite frankly,I think that the 8830 is terrible looking compared to my 755p.My roommate has one.Its just not what I'm wanting to have to buy.Because I know if I do,I'll regret it.And be stuck with it on top of that.Even with the resetting issues I'm having.I still like my Treo better.And if the Centro is the 755p,but stable.That sounds like a plan.I can deal with alittle bit smaller screen and keyboard in exchange for a stable O.S. and solid functionality.Im not look foward to musical chairs-Treo style!Im just pissed off right now.Because I've only had the damn thing for a week.And I already have to exchange it.And from what I can tell by hitting every forum I can find.People aren't having Centro problems.Thank you for your input on the situation.Its nice to know that I'm not the only person having 755p problems.Im starting to think that the "p" stands for problematic!
  5.    #5  
    That's the funny part Doublebullout.My 755p is completely stock!No 3rd party apps.And its still resetting all the time.It blows me away that a company would allow something this buggy to leave the factory.Come on really?
    With few execptions, from what I've read on T/C, this Centro seems to be a winner.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Had my 1 week already. only had resets when I installed Card Export . I removed it(Backup Restore) and no more resets. so it was the program not the centro. No lag, No rests. Coming from a 700p with major lag and a reset every other day on average , this is great. I also have alot of 3rd party apps ( around 50) so my centro is loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Had my 1 week already. only had resets when I installed Card Export . I removed it(Backup Restore) and no more resets. so it was the program not the centro. No lag, No rests. Coming from a 700p with major lag and a reset every other day on average , this is great. I also have alot of 3rd party apps ( around 50) so my centro is loaded.
    Did you do a clean install (installed all 3rd parties apps one by one) or just a hotsync over to the new device?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I did a clean install and beamed each app over one by one. After mayeb 5-6 I would do a NV backup ( just incase) and then isntall and test another 5 or 6 apps. WHy the backups ? . Example , when I isntalled card Export. it caused a reset loop and I couldnt remove it so I just restored to before I installed that program. I dont like to install from hotsync backup as it brings over everything and when I did that with my 700P it was major problems. I aslo tried to restore from a NV backup of my 600 when I got my 700P and that was worse.

I always recomend (if you want the device to be as clean as it can be) to retore each app by itself. I know it takes time. I started at 6pm and finnised around 1am. ( after you install the apps you got to try to find the reg #'s)
    I did a clean install and beamed each app over one by one. After mayeb 5-6 I would do a NV backup ( just incase) and then isntall and test another 5 or 6 apps. WHy the backups ? . Example , when I isntalled card Export. it caused a reset loop and I couldnt remove it so I just restored to before I installed that program. I dont like to install from hotsync backup as it brings over everything and when I did that with my 700P it was major problems. I aslo tried to restore from a NV backup of my 600 when I got my 700P and that was worse.

I always recomend (if you want the device to be as clean as it can be) to retore each app by itself. I know it takes time. I started at 6pm and finnised around 1am. ( after you install the apps you got to try to find the reg #'s)
    Hey I never used NV backup and just did so how would that work now if I did a hard reset how would I get my stuff restored from the card.
    VaccPalm knows how to approach it. Too many folks blindly install 3rd party "crippleware", thinking it'll just work & not negatively effect their phone.

Go slow, back up, and test each app. before moving on.

Sounds like a good process. I've done it both ways in the past and certainly the cleans install is the most accurate, although time consuming.
    Good Luck.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    NV Backup will restore your device to were it was at when you backed it up. All apps should be there.

The reason I took my time with the Centro is I want this device to be my phone for the next 2 years or so. I loved the 700P and it did what I wanted but all the lags , resets , problems affected the performance and soured my love of that phone and all I did was say "I cant wait for a better palm phone"

I figure if there are going to be any problems with the Centro , I want to make sure its not my doing. I want the Centro to be "The Phone" . I want a clean , problem free phone for once. I think some of the problems I had with my other treos was thrid party apps and blindly installing them. Now I have automatic backups every night ( 3am) and I keep 2 sets and can restore to either if I have a problem.
    Yep, it's the best way. And it gives you a chance to gather all of your registration codes in one place (either on paper or into something like SpladhID), so it's quicker if you ever have to do it again...instead of searching around the email archives for reg codes.
    I got mine on Sunday, and haven't had a single reboot or problem. I had been using the Samsung i330 since 2004 and just upgraded. My i330 never once rebooted during those 3 years.

I had avoided Treos because of the rebooting issue, but the Centro seems to be very stable.
    no it's not essentially the same on the inside. It shares the same processor, but that's about it. They said it wasn't designed the same as the 7xx models. The whole problem with the 700/755 was the hardware was designed for the windows version and wasn't the most compatible with the POS. They didn't use that design for the Centro, hence it's working much better than the last two models. Feature wise it's not a leap, but why would they create a third phone on the same faulty chipset?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Hey I never used NV backup and just did so how would that work now if I did a hard reset how would I get my stuff restored from the card.
    You would go to the home screen and use the drop down and go to the 'card'. You will see the NV program icon. Click on it, then when it opens click on the backup you want to restore and hit the restore icon. Easy and very accurate.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Rick did you end up picking one up at the Fenton store? The one in Ballwin told me they had TONS of black but immediately sold all their red. Fenton and Arnold as of yesterday had 15 and 30 people in "waiting lists" for either color.
    dont have a centro, but the two 755s in my househood are rock solid and stable.

instead of you beaming 3rd party apps, you can still sync PIM data without 3rd party apps by renaming the backup folder before synching, then sync 3rd party apps from the renamed backup folder one at a time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast